Single status affidavit

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
I am not familiar with this single status affidavit that you need if getting married in Dominican Republic. I will be getting married in April and was wondering is this something that is done before I come (from USA) or after arriving in DR. I would appreciate any positive information to help clear this up for me. Thank you and have a good day.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Uncledee295 said:
I am not familiar with this single status affidavit that you need if getting married in Dominican Republic. I will be getting married in April and was wondering is this something that is done before I come (from USA) or after arriving in DR. I would appreciate any positive information to help clear this up for me. Thank you and have a good day.

So interesting that you are inquiring about this stuff because I am going through the same thing at the moment. The single status certificate/affidavit has to be witnessed by a notarary public .. (I was told that it actually has to be by a lawyer--so not sure if a doctor etc would suffice??). I know that in Canada we have to send our birth certificate and this single status declaration (once complete) to the dominican consulate in Toronto to be translated into spanish and legalized. (all for a lovely price of $345). *Keep in mind that if a lawyer has to witness the single status declaration.. that TOO will cost ya. Take care.

p.s the single status affidavit is a piece of paper just stating that you are indeed single and you solemly swear that you've never been married... bleh... and you can copy a form straight off the internet and fill in your information and take it to the lawyer.. I am not sure if ppl from the US have to do anything different... if you want a copy .. I can forward it to you.

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
Angel_04 said:
So interesting that you are inquiring about this stuff because I am going through the same thing at the moment. The single status certificate/affidavit has to be witnessed by a notarary public .. (I was told that it actually has to be by a lawyer--so not sure if a doctor etc would suffice??). I know that in Canada we have to send our birth certificate and this single status declaration (once complete) to the dominican consulate in Toronto to be translated into spanish and legalized. (all for a lovely price of $345). *Keep in mind that if a lawyer has to witness the single status declaration.. that TOO will cost ya. Take care.

p.s the single status affidavit is a piece of paper just stating that you are indeed single and you solemly swear that you've never been married... bleh... and you can copy a form straight off the internet and fill in your information and take it to the lawyer.. I am not sure if ppl from the US have to do anything different... if you want a copy .. I can forward it to you.

Could you please forward me a copy and I will find out the proper procedures from there. Thank you for making me aware of this process. Take care

amjatl

Jan 18, 2006
If you go to www.wedo.com.do/, they can do all the translations. They are located in Houston, I believe, and on the website it tells you the exact requirements for a civil or religous ceremony as well as the exact wording for the single affidavit. From my understanding, you type this form out, sign it in front of a notary and then send it to whatever office you are using to have the document translated.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Uncledee295 said:

Actually, mine was done by the Dominican Embassy in California. They sent me the exact wording via fax, I retyped it, had it notarized, and sent it to the Consulate for their stamps, and legalization. they turned it around in two days and were very very nice about the whole thing. I can get the phone number if anyone needs it.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If you have not completed the Single Status affidavit by the time you come down to the DR, it can normally be completed within moments by going along to the Consulate of the country you have your passport with (in your case US of A). You make a statement by oath in front of the consul, pay him some money he signs the statement & off you go. ~ Grahame.

kamal lumar

Jan 6, 2012
what to write in the affidavit

hey plz send me the single status affidavit layout and sample to my email- as soon as possible..plz its a humble request..

Email removed, click on the poster's name and send a personal message.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimossp

Jun 22, 2012
Very interested in your info

Hello can you tell me how i go about doing this? I live in boston and need this same document..and also i need to know if it is accurate that i need to prove i'm not married and any other info you can give me will be greatly appreciated...like all documents you needed yo get married in the dominican rep. Thank you very much...
actually, mine was done by the dominican embassy in california. They sent me the exact wording via fax, i retyped it, had it notarized, and sent it to the consulate for their stamps, and legalization. They turned it around in two days and were very very nice about the whole thing. I can get the phone number if anyone needs it.

-tim
--
visit the dominican immigration forums at:

Dominican Immigration - Dominicans to the USA - Index
Dominican Immigration - Dominicans to the USA - Index

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Here is a sample of the Single Status Affidavit:

SINGLE STATUS AFFIDAVIT/SWORN DECLARATION

I, [full name as in passport], of the City of , in the State [Province] of , DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT:

-I am [full name as in passport], born as [name as it appears in Birth Certificate] on [date of birth] in [place of birth].

-I am a [citizenship] citizen with passport No: , who resides at [full address].

-I intend to marry [full name as in passport] in the [hotel name] in [city], Dominican Republic during the month of [month and year of marriage].

-I am single and have never been married before. To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment or other lawful cause to prevent me from getting married.

-The names of my parents are , Mother and , Father.

I make this Solemn Declaration firmly believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath.

DECLARED by me, this(date)____of ______, 2012

Signed [your name here]____________________________
(Full name as in passport)

DECLARED in my presence, this (date)____of ______, 2012

IF DIVORCED, PLEASE INDICATE “single, divorced since (date your divorce was final). To the best of my…” INCLUDE NAME OF FORMER SPOUSE, DATE THE DIVORCE WAS FINAL, FILE/RECORD NUMBER, COURT, AND NAME OF THE JUDGE.

IF WIDOW-WIDOWER, PLEASE INDICATE “single, widow/widower since (date as appears on the death certificate). To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment.

I did mine in English, faxed to a lawyer in Puerto Plata. He did all the necessary translations etc for all my documents then I came by, signed it and off I went. Much less expensive than having done in Canada.

Hope this helps

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Actually, mine was done by the Dominican Embassy in California. They sent me the exact wording via fax, I retyped it, had it notarized, and sent it to the Consulate for their stamps, and legalization. they turned it around in two days and were very very nice about the whole thing. I can get the phone number if anyone needs it.

-Tim

I had it done by a Dominican lawyer while in the DR for 2000 pesos. The Dominican Embassy in California quoted me a charge of around $140.00.

perreoking

Oct 4, 2012
I had it done by a Dominican lawyer while in the DR for 2000 pesos. The Dominican Embassy in California quoted me a charge of around $140.00.

whoa...I live in New York and went to the office of the County Clerk, waited with a ticket number DMV style, and paid 17 dollars..took it to get an Apostille for 10 dollars.. and got it translated to spanish by a lawyer for 25 bucks.