Translation Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Hola

I have been given the following to translate for a exercise and it just doesn't sound right to me. Can you help?

No, aqui solo esta permitido doblar a la izuierda. Tiene que continuar hasta la
proxima calle.

My translation (don't laugh) is

No, here it is permitted to turn left. You have to continue up the neighbouring street.

Where did I go wrong?:ermm:

Saludos

Nadia

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I think the proper translation should be:

"No, here you are only permitted to turn to the left. You have to continue until the next street."

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Thank you GringoCArlos

That makes much better sense and now follows on from the initial question

Puedo doblar a la derecha en esta calle?

translatted as

Can I turn right in this street?

Gracias

Nadia

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Isn't girar more typical for turning especially when driving? I thought doblar is to double.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Wow, thank you, Hillbilly.

Marketgirl, I think your second question should be: " ?Can I turn to the right in this street? "

Rick, I think it is just more common for dominicans to use "doblar" instead of "girar".

A friend also explained something which he had had a hard time understanding, and that is when one gets in a taxi, and you are going down the street in Santo Domingo, if you want to turn in the "inland" direction, you are more easily understood if you say "pa' arriba". For a turn towards the ocean, you need to say "pa' bajo" (even if the road is inclined upwards toward the ocean, hehe.)

Even if you are nowhere near the ocean, they more readily understand this, more than using "izquierda" , "derecha", or the very common.........

""NO, NO, la OTRA izquierda, amigo".........

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
Isn't girar more typical for turning especially when driving? I thought doblar is to double.
Not in the DR, it isn't, but it might be the right term in Spain.
Girar, would mean more like spin, than turn.
Turning right around, would be, dar la vuelta.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
Rocky said:
Not in the DR, it isn't, but it might be the right term in Spain.
Girar, would mean more like spin, than turn.
Turning right around, would be, dar la vuelta.

In Spain, I think we use more "doblar" than "girar", at least colloquially.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pollos "giran" over charcoal!! Since Rick has a "close personal relationship" with pollos, he naturally thought of "girar" as the correct word...jus' natcheral!!:p:p:p

The Pa' riba, and Pa' bajo, here is the Cibao, means towards Santo Domingo (para arriba) or towards Montecristi (para abajo).

For some unfathomable reason, we go "down the line" towards the North and we go "up the line" when we go South to Santo Domingo, or East to Saman?.

We "climb" to Puerto Plata (Sub? a Puerto Plata) and we also climb to Santo Domingo (?Cu?ndo vas a subir a la Capi, compadre? = When are you coming (up) to the capitol, compadre?)

And remember folks: DERECHO is "straight ahead" and DERECHA is Turn Right!

And while we are on the subject, remember that when you ask where something is, the answer "Ah? mi' mimito" (Right up there), can mean a few hundred yards or a few kilometers...:p

Have a nice day :):):)

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
In Managua where there are no street names nor addresses on buildings all directions are from a landmark (which may not be there anymore but was at one time -scant help for the visitor if you don't know donde fue Sandy's) and they use "al lago" for North (Lake Managua is north), "arriba" for east (the sun rises in the east) , "bajo" for west (the sun goes down) and only use "sur" for well, sur.

They also measure finer distances than blocks (cuadras) in varas, which is .87 metres and is a measurement that goes back about 400 years to the Spanish.

What is amazing in such a poor country (much poorer than the DR) is that mail addressed in such a manner with additional details, down to the color and description of the house typically, is delivered in my experience in under a week from Canada.

Sep 19, 2005
I see many many signs on some streets in santiago that say

"NO doble izquierda"

I might have spelt "left" wrong in spanish.

I asked my gf , doesnt doble mean BOTH?....she said yes, and could not explain why it ment turn sometimes as well.......

bob

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I see many many signs on some streets in santiago that say

"NO doble izquierda"

I might have spelt "left" wrong in spanish.

I asked my gf , doesnt doble mean BOTH?....she said yes, and could not explain why it ment turn sometimes as well.......

bob

Doble does not mean Both in english, it means double, to turn, and to bend. Both in Spanish is "ambos (ambas for female)"

Doble:
1-"el me cobro el doble de lo que vale" he charged me double of what it costs
2-"Yo doble en esa calle y me encontre con un perro bravo" I turned on that street and came in contact with a mean dog"
3-"los ladrones pudieron doblar los hierros de mi ventana" the thieves were able to bend the irons on my window"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Bob...

The only way to explain the differences in usage of the word 'doblar' is grammatically. Therefore hopefully this will make sense to you if not it will for sure help someone else.

The word doblar is a synonym for girar (for example to turn the corner= doblar la esquina). Doblar in this context is a verb (its grammatical category). When you see 'doble' or 'no doble' on signs it's the imperative form (command form of the verb) that means 'turn' or 'do not turn'.

n. el doble - in this context 'doble' is a noun. It means 'twice as much'.

adj. doble can also function as an adjective- For example- 'una palabra de doble sentido' (a word with a double meaning)

You mentioned 'doble' as meaning 'both'. Although I know what you mean I can't think of a scenario where I would use 'doble' for both. For both I would say ambos/ambas.

LDG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.