Legit charges for overweight luggage at airport?

cuba_libre_girl

Aug 27, 2005
Everytime I visit the DR, I get charged on the way home. And I know that my luggage is lighter since I bring gifts and use up most of my toiletries. Is this a legitimate charge? Are those weigh scales rigged? How do I get around this? Thanks!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Which airline are you flying on and which airport. Another poster commented about similar problems on a Canadian charter.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You need to check with the airline for the luggage limit. It is unlikely the weight scales are rigged. When you leave home, weigh your luggage, ditto when you check in at the airport of departure. If you have less stuff than what you brought this is strange. What could have happened is that they were lax when boarding you when you left for the DR, and are adhering to the weight restrictions as you return.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
Which airport?

I went to the DR in december, to punta cana, and i had no problems at the airport they did not charge me i was under the weight restriction, but my friend was over by alot. She begged the guy to let her go without paying and it worked to our surprise. Try that next time it may work!

Erin

cuba_libre_girl

Aug 27, 2005
Rellosk, it was skyservice. Do you have the link to the other post? I'd like to read it. And Erin you're right, it does help to negotiate. It probably worked out in your friend's favour because your luggage was so underweight. My friend's and mine were both over. Both substantially so that we were surprised. I did fenagle him to reduce the costs, but we still ended up paying like 50US! Which seems like an awful lot.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
cuba_libre_girl said:
Rellosk, it was skyservice. Do you have the link to the other post? I'd like to read it. And Erin you're right, it does help to negotiate. It probably worked out in your friend's favour because your luggage was so underweight. My friend's and mine were both over. Both substantially so that we were surprised. I did fenagle him to reduce the costs, but we still ended up paying like 50US! Which seems like an awful lot.
That was the same airline that the other poster mentioned. It seems like a scam.

I would email your airlines and your travel agent, informing them both of the situation and that you've been in touch with other travelers that have similar problems. It probably won't help you, but it may help others in the future.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Scammin

I left POP on Saturday on a UK charter flight - everyone in front me was being charged excess luggage. Now i knew mine was well under cos it was only 19KG when i left UK. I left my clothes with a friend in DR all my suitcase contained was 3 pairs of shoes and 10 pairs of knickers.

I put my case on scale - i was amazed nearly 15KG - I pulled my case off real quick looked the guy straight in the face and asked him to remove his foot from scale in the loudest possible voice. !!!! He looked at me like i was nuts as did most of the queue !!! I put my case back on and surprise surpirse 9KG so if i had of been near my limit i would have been well ripped off. Moral of story stand your ground and if you know your under limit argue. And dont let them bully you.

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Always check the employee badge number, ask for a supervisor and report it to the airline. Sometimes you get charged but the money ends up in the employee pockets. If they see that you are taking notes about the employee, they will try not to do it.

Regards.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
wow

Oh man you had to pay 50US that is a big rip off and a huge scam, i can't beleive they would do these types of tricks in order to rip tourists off, who already spent almost and arm and a leg to travel there!

Erin

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Sometimes it has a lot to do with how much your body weighs. One year I was flying to the DR, the lady in front of me was almost 300 lbs. She had lots of luggage and they charged her. I stepped up with a lot of luggage but because I weighed 120 lbs. they did not charge me. That lady had the nerve to come over to me and ask if they charged me for extra baggage weight.

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
FYI.....

Delta allows two bags, 50lbs. per bag. If the bag is overweight, they charge:
51-70 LBS ... USD 25/CAD 30.
71-100 LBS ... USD 50/CAD 135

Delta does not accept baggage over 100lbs.

Just to give you an idea of legitimate charges (no matter the size of the passenger).

Sep 19, 2005
AA charges $25 us for a bag over weight wether it is their 50 lb weight or their 70 lb weight..whatever they are using at the time... they will allow you even more but it will cost you $50......jet blue DID NOT ALLOW ANY overweight bags!!!!but they scaled back to 50lbs on one of my trips and my bag went 54, and they didnt blink an eye

I think it isnt fair to allow a skinny person more weight than a heavy person.... the rule is bag weight......it has NOTHING to do with personal weight

if they mention it upfron that if you are heavy then your bags have to weigh less.....thats fine... they stated it up front....I can live with that

but the underhanded way they make people who are overweight themselves pay for something ANYTHING that others dont have to pay for isnt right

ps I aint over weight...its about being fair....and stating it upfront...no games

bob

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
I agree with you, Bob, it's not fair for overweight luggage charges to only be applied to overweight passengers. I have worked for an airline for more than eight years, and I have never heard of this. And when I weigh someone's bags, I have never considered the size of the passenger with the bags to determine if they will be charged. Sounds crazy to me.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
skymall said:
I agree with you, Bob, it's not fair for overweight luggage charges to only be applied to overweight passengers. I have worked for an airline for more than eight years, and I have never heard of this. And when I weigh someone's bags, I have never considered the size of the passenger with the bags to determine if they will be charged. Sounds crazy to me.
I agree, I've never heard of an airline varying it's baggage policy according to a persons weight. Although, I do remember reading about situation where some airlines were requiring hugely obese people to purchase two seats.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
Two seats for the extra weight.

Yes I do rememder that. The Airlines were make over weight people purchase two seats instead of one, because they don't allow the people next to them space. But in Spirit and Delta the seats are a little wider than the ones from AA. I don't think they do that anymore. :speechles