Getting around the North Coat

MN_MargaritaVille

Jan 18, 2006
Hi! We are coming to DR end of Feb. and want to visit Master of the Ocean. Traveling from Maimon Beach -> we want to visit Sosua and on to Cabarete Beach and back. Scooters sound fabulous for this day excursion, are they available to us? And for how much? Or an open jeep? Car rental? Are they available through the resort? Is this type of travel safe? Thanks MN_

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We average between 6 - 8 motorcycle (including scooters) deaths a day here, so if you have a Death Wish, by all means use a scooter to travel along the highway. Foreigners are fair game for all drivers!!:p:p

If you insist on driving _ you would have a whole lot more fun on a local gua-gua - get a 4 x 4 with all the insurance you can carry.
No open jeeps-this in NOT Bermuda or Barbados where we drive all proper and courteous...no way.

The drive itself is easy. Just turn left on the highway and follow your nose east...you can't get lost.

HB :D:D:D

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Its a competition in Cabarete were you have to compete in wave, kite and wind surfing. The best overall is the "Master of the ocean".

Transport wise: To rent a car is most comfortable. Take a gua gua for some funny holiday experience or a taxi if you dont want to take the risk that driving brings with it.

MN_MargaritaVille

Jan 18, 2006
Thanks for your experienced input to our questions... So here's some more.... From the Riu Resorts on the north coast - what is the distance to Sosua and down to Cabarete? The gua gua sound like a blast! Does it seat 4 adults? We want to explore and have fun!! ....... safely :)

Sep 19, 2005
I will second or third or whatever I am in line the notion that you really dont want to rent a scooter for the open highway...it MIGHT not be that bad if you stayed in sosua with one...being that the speed in town cant get up that high. Every time I make the trip over teh mountains from moca and on into caberette I see europeans riding dirt bikes with backpacks all the time. It seems they like the trip over the mountains. But it is obvious they are experienced. I think to ride a scooter or motorcycle in the DR takes a huge level of knowledge in the driving habits of the fellow Dominican. They know the nuances and habits, and how to predict when and where trouble is for them....it really is like a sixth sense i think.. I think the sheer numbers alone make for the quantity of accidents you may hear about.

now as for the 4x4...I dont see the need for a 4x4 at all.... I rent them because they are bigger vehicles than the non 4x4 that are rentable...and i want a big car. Outside of the hunting trips I have never used the 4x4 feature

a 2002-2006 Suzuki 4x4( very small 4x4) will run you at least $75 on up to $100 per day!!!!!!!..you could probably do with a 40 or 50 dollar car just as good......

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MN_MargaritaVille said:
Oh yeah - what is a gua gua? A 4 x 4 jeep type unit?
A gua gua is a form of public transportation. It's a small bus, that's sometimes packed to the gills.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
A Guagua is a Full size van that in Canada or America Seats 7 people or maybe even 9

Here they seat 43 One on top of the other .And of course 6- 50 lb Bags of rice and the Gallina on the roof . Then there are the 3 guys hanging on to the roof and out the sliding side door. If you are cute enough you can also sit on the drivers lap as long as you dont interfere with his elbow action to get the beer to his mouth ................

And there is always room for one more !

Am I exagerating? (Much) ?

You can get on the Bigger Guagas which are like small buses . They seem to be more in control. Forget that 'Caritas " too. They are toyota camrys that seat 18 Dominicans .

Best bet? Get a taxi and make a "Day Deal"

He will take you where you want and for the whole day for about 60-80 $ ......

I know a guy or 2 if you want it .........you will be safe , guided and still be able to go where you want......

Just my 2 Pesos worth

MN_MargaritaVille

Jan 18, 2006
How far is it?

What is the distance from the North coast 'Riu Resort' to Sosua and then to Cabarete? Also, does anyone know where I can go on line to find a more detailed map of the North Coast area?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
From the Rius to Sosua - it will take approximately an 45 minutes to an hour depending on the traffic then another 15 to cabarete.

Depending on your driving skills and risk level I would suggest getting a taxi driver who has a van and just pay him for the day to drive to sosua, cabarete, and back to the hotels.

The driving here is similar to Lake Street in Minneapolis on a hot summer afternoon, with one lane closed at rush hour and 14 city buses going by.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MN_MargaritaVille said:
What is the distance from the North coast 'Riu Resort' to Sosua and then to Cabarete? Also, does anyone know where I can go on line to find a more detailed map of the North Coast area?
Here is the Public transport options you have from the Riu Hotels to Sosua and Cabarete.
First you need to get into Puerto Plata. Do this by getting the "C" guagua that starts its route on the main road in front of the Sun Village Hotel. This is the start of the route so getting a seat is no problem. Cost is 10 pesos/person. Take this into Puerto Plata and get off at the main Hospital. Just past the hospital you have 2 options. One is the Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan guagua. One is always waiting. Cost is 20 pesos/person to Sosua.30 pesos/person to Cabarete. The second option is the publicos car. The have a red sign on the roof that reads "Puerto Plata-Sosua Taxi". They also are waiting in line just past the hospital. The cost during daytime is 25 pesos/person. They expect to load with 6 persons. You can purchase extra seats (150 for the whole car), for extra comfort. The publico ends at Sosua, the guagua continues to Cabarete.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Driving on North Coast

Hi there. Well, I jsut got back from Cabarete. First time. I was considering renting a vehicle while there. I was warned to maybe first check the situation out.
I am glad I did. It is a real experience to say the least. The gua-gua's I could not even try after seeing how loaded, and I mean loaded they were. People literally fell out of them. Yeah, maybe for a few blocks, but that would be it.
Renting a car......well by about the 5th day, after we had been in taxis, private vans, etc. I really think that I could have done the driving in a rental car during DAY HOURS ONLY!! Not at night for sure!! YOu would need to be really focused, but you could do it.
The suggestion that you find a guy and hire him for the day is about your best bet in my opinion. We were referred to a person who had a van. We told him where we wanted to go, what we wanted to see and off we went. Total comfort, and he knew where he was going. Felt comfortable and safe. We went from Cabarete, to San Juan, back to Cabarete, all thru Sosual, over to puerto plata, to Cofresi beach, toured around Ocean World, and then did the school bus run with him and dropped children off, then he drove us all the way back to Cabarete at end of day. We also went to Playa Grande beach (breathtaking). Covered a lot of miles, had a great narrator on the way, only cost 150.00 u.s. (there were four of us) We also paid 500 pesos for gas and bought his lunch. Well worth it!!

Good luck with your travels!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
megamania said:
... Covered a lot of miles, had a great narrator on the way, only cost 150.00 u.s. (there were four of us) We also paid 500 pesos for gas and bought his lunch. Well worth it!!
Next time negotiate. You should be able to do much better than $150US + $500RD.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
megamania said:
Covered a lot of miles, had a great narrator on the way, only cost 150.00 u.s. (there were four of us) We also paid 500 pesos for gas and bought his lunch. Well worth it!!
Chalk this one up to experience. You paid him the equivalent of 6 airport to Puerto Plata runs, each one would be close to 1 1/2 hours with turn-around. On top of that, back home if you were paying $150 for a car and driver, would you think it appropriate to pay $15 more for gas? On top of that he threw in his regular school route. Next time offer about half of what of what you paid. $100 would have been about right.