Internet

GongShow

Jan 15, 2006
Do any of the resorts offer internet access either in-room or on the grounds(Puerto Plata)? Im not expecting Holiday in Express 10mb broadband connection or anything. If not at the hotel, anywhere else? Thx

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Not sure about each of the hotels, but the shopping plaza in the Playa Dorada complex has many places with internet access.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
The places at the plaza are way too expensive. I found a good place in town down the bottom of the road that Casa Nelson is on opposite a school. Very cheap about 30 pescos for 1/2 an hour compered to 100 peso's at plaza. And the machines were faster. I really want to find a place that does wireless internet excess so i can use my lap top when i come back in Mar. Suggestions anyone?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
crazydaisy said:
The places at the plaza are way too expensive. I found a good place in town down the bottom of the road that Casa Nelson is on opposite a school. Very cheap about 30 pescos for 1/2 an hour compered to 100 peso's at plaza. And the machines were faster. I really want to find a place that does wireless internet excess so i can use my lap top when i come back in Mar. Suggestions anyone?
Hmm. You travel downtown, at least a half hour each way, plus transportation, to save how much? And how often? What is your vacation time worth to you? And actually, if you are going to buy a tour, most of the tour operators in the plaza will give you free internet use for up to a half hour a day. Enough to check your e-mail.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Wireless

HOWMAR said:
Hmm. You travel downtown, at least a half hour each way, plus transportation, to save how much? And how often? What is your vacation time worth to you? And actually, if you are going to buy a tour, most of the tour operators in the plaza will give you free internet use for up to a half hour a day. Enough to check your e-mail.

Yes i get your piont but i wasnt really on vacation i was over sorting stuff out for when i move out to DR. So i was in town anyway most days anyway at a supermacerdo.Paid 20 pesos for moto-concho each way - i would of had to pay that to get to playa dorada. I would love to get internet at my apartment but i know how much of a pain that can be !!!! I want to be able to speak to family most days hence i want to use internet most days. I have great trouble using the keyboard set up on pc in DR - i know in time i will get used to it but much easier and quicker for me to use my laptop. So do you know anywhere that does wireless access.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
crazydaisy said:
Yes i get your piont but i wasnt really on vacation i was over sorting stuff out for when i move out to DR. So i was in town anyway most days anyway at a supermacerdo.Paid 20 pesos for moto-concho each way - i would of had to pay that to get to playa dorada. I would love to get internet at my apartment but i know how much of a pain that can be !!!! I want to be able to speak to family most days hence i want to use internet most days. I have great trouble using the keyboard set up on pc in DR - i know in time i will get used to it but much easier and quicker for me to use my laptop. So do you know anywhere that does wireless access.
The only place I know of in the POP area that has free wi-fi service is the Field of Dreams hotel which is located opposite the East entrance to Playa Dorada. If you don't order a drink or some food I don't know how hospitable they will be though.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Wireless

Thanks for that, i will try and get a friend to put a few feelers out regarding this. I mean if i go and have lunch and buy a couple presidente im sure there wont be too much of problem but i will get a friend to ask question or i will mail them. Its funny i have been to DR a few times but this was the first time i even noticed Field of Dreams place. I generally stay in town.

Another question for you - if you dont mind. Im going to cancel my care package for my laptop (no way will they send a dell engineer from UK to DR to fix it unless the engineer is very lucky) How relaible are pc repair shops in the DR. Its not an expensive laptop but only a few months old but i would like to keep for atleast a year. So if it goes belly up in the mean time i would prefer to get it fixed rather than buy a new machine.

Thanks for help so far

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
GongShow said:
Do any of the resorts offer internet access either in-room or on the grounds(Puerto Plata)? Im not expecting Holiday in Express 10mb broadband connection or anything. If not at the hotel, anywhere else? Thx

Several hotels have internet service for their guests.
Coral MArien Hilton, Gran Ventana etc.
DO not know if they charge or not.

In the Plaza in Playa Dorada as well, as HOWMAR informed.
Downtown there are tons of them, of course prices are different as they are local, but again, depends on if you are in town anyway, otherwise it turns out expensive to travel etc.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
crazydaisy said:
Another question for you - if you dont mind. Im going to cancel my care package for my laptop (no way will they send a dell engineer from UK to DR to fix it unless the engineer is very lucky) How relaible are pc repair shops in the DR. Its not an expensive laptop but only a few months old but i would like to keep for atleast a year. So if it goes belly up in the mean time i would prefer to get it fixed rather than buy a new machine.

Thanks for help so far
Dell does have authorized repair in the DR. For International service contact number for Dell see:
http://www1.la.dell.com/content/top...ices/es/prog_portables?c=do&l=es&s=dhs&~ck=mn