Getting Married at Altos de Chavon

amjatl

Jan 18, 2006
I was wondering if anyone had any info about getting married at the San Estanislao church without going through the resort at Casa de Campo? My fiance is an American born Dominican with a large family still living in and around Santo Domingo. He is Catholic and would like to be married in the church as opposed to a civil ceremony. When I contacted the resort about having a wedding there, it is their requirement that 15 rooms musted be booked for a minimum of three nights. Basically, we do not need 15 rooms, and we do not plan to stay in La Romana for 3 nights. Surely there is a way to get married at this church without going through the resort, so if anyone knows of someone who has done so or any direct contact info for the church, it would be greatly appreciated!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sandra Lopez at Casa de Campo was most helpful in providing the following information to help you have a Catholic Church in La Romana.

She says that the Priest Victor Garc?a, who I understand performs weddings at Altos de Chavon St. Stanislau church, can be contacted directly at (809) 556-2224.

She also shares information on other Catholic churches available in La Romana and nearby areas:
- Santa Rosa de Lima -located right in front of the city's main park-
- San Antonio de Padua -in Buena Vista Norte, 5 minutes from the City of La Romana and approximately 15 minutes from St. Stanislaus Church in Altos de Chav?n.
- There is also another colourful church in the town Bayahibe -approx. 30 minutes from La Romana, overlooking a beautiful beach.
- In the city of Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic, there are various Catholic churches, many of them located in the beautiful colonial zone.

Last edited:

amjatl

Jan 18, 2006
Thank you so much! We are going to Bonao on March 2 - 10, and we were going to make a day trip to La Romana to try to contact someone at the church. You have been such a tremendous help!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Please keep in mind that the St. Stanislau church is a private one, under the management of Casa de Campo, thus I would suppose that the priest will have to adhere to the norms of the hotel in order to book a wedding there. The norms of the hotel most likely were instituted because of the demand for weddings. In order for them to accommodate the requests on specific days, they for sure have their requirements. Thus their sugestions of other churches in La Romana where you will not be required to book additional hotel rooms.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Dolores said:
- There is also another colourful church in the town Bayahibe -approx. 30 minutes from La Romana, overlooking a beautiful beach.

Are there any pictures available of this church? Has someone been there? How can I find it?

Thanks

Jess

amjatl

Jan 18, 2006
We called the number for the church and spoke with Mercedes Garcia, the priest's sister. She told us that you do not have to go through the resort to get married at the church. As long as you give the priest all the documents necessary to get married in the church (the docs the Catholic church requires that you have to get married) and submit them to the priest atleast two months ahead of time, they can book the wedding. A donation is required, but the amount is something you work out with the priest before the wedding. Weekend weddings have to be scheduled around regular mass services that are held on Saturday and Sunday at 5:00.

The only time it is necessary to go through the resort is if you want rooms there or you want the resort to host the reception. If anyone is interested, to go through the resort, it is a mimimum of 15 rooms for 3 nights (approx. $9,000 b/c the rooms are an average of $200 per night) and the weddings fee is anywhere from $850 to $1,700. The reception cost is priced per person and is on average about $60 per person, as long as there are at least 25 people. If less, then the resort charges a $500 additional fee and more per person. (This is the price list for the resort good through Dec 2005, so it may be higher now.)

Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone who would like to get married at the church and cannot/doesn't want to go through the resort. One final note, I believe the phone number given is for the priest's home. We talked to several family members before talking to Mercedes. If you would like to call, I'd advise having someone who speaks fluent Spanish make the call.

Jaylo13

Feb 6, 2006
Getting Married....

I went through the same problem. My husband and I are planning a religious ceremony in the DR - he is Domincan. I could not have had a worse experience than the one I had with Casa de Campo - and I am a meeting planner! Thank you to the woman who posted the other churches in the area - that was a huge help! Does anyone have pictures or contact numbers?

Jaylo13

Feb 6, 2006
Resolution

If anyone needs help with planning their wedding in DR please feel free to contact me at anytime. I have been planning mine for over a year, I am an event planner, and my husband grew up in DR.

I have been through it all in the past year with hotels, churches, travel agents etc...We have 150 people coming.

I have pictures of alternative churches other than in Altos de Chavon - I do not reccommend getting married there - they do not want the business. Although it is the most beautiful place on the island, take a day trip and save yourself the pain.

jeanettelopez@comcast.net

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
casa

What is the problem with that place? They seem to be pushing people away from the resort.

leonpatry

Jan 22, 2007
Your help is appreciated

If anyone needs help with planning their wedding in DR please feel free to contact me at anytime. I have been planning mine for over a year, I am an event planner, and my husband grew up in DR.

I have been through it all in the past year with hotels, churches, travel agents etc...We have 150 people coming.

I have pictures of alternative churches other than in Altos de Chavon - I do not reccommend getting married there - they do not want the business. Although it is the most beautiful place on the island, take a day trip and save yourself the pain.

jeanettelopez@comcast.net

>>REPLY:

Hi,
I'm going through the process of planning a possible wedding in DR I thought I should take your offer and ask some questions. My future husband to be is Dominican. Most of our family lives in Miami, FL although he also has some family living in Santo Domingo. We'd like to get married in St. Stanislau and rent a villa at Casa de Campo and do the reception there. I'd like to know what airlines and hotels give you the best group discounts since I'd like to make it as easy and cheap as possible for my guests to attend the wedding (by the way, how did you get so many people to attend, 150 is a lot?!). Any advise or recommendation you may have is greatly appreciated!

apontes

Jun 3, 2008
How did it go (your wedding)? Did you have your wedding at Altos de Chavon?

Hello,

I am doing some research myself on web on getting married at Altos de Chavon and saw your blog (although it was written 2 yrs. ago) I recently visited La Romana and fell in love w/ ADC. I said this is it! Did you wind up having your wedding there or at another church? How was it? Did you have to go through Casa de Campo to have your wedding at the church? Did you have your reception at Altos De Chavon and was it or did it have to be catered by Casa de Campo? Did the contacts that are listed below the same ones you used? Sorry for all the questions but I figure you are my best source of information. Any other valuable details that you any want to share? Any input/insight would be a tremendous help.

I appreciate it and hope to talk to you soon!

Congrats on your wedding!

Shirley

We called the number for the church and spoke with Mercedes Garcia, the priest's sister. She told us that you do not have to go through the resort to get married at the church. As long as you give the priest all the documents necessary to get married in the church (the docs the Catholic church requires that you have to get married) and submit them to the priest atleast two months ahead of time, they can book the wedding. A donation is required, but the amount is something you work out with the priest before the wedding. Weekend weddings have to be scheduled around regular mass services that are held on Saturday and Sunday at 5:00.

The only time it is necessary to go through the resort is if you want rooms there or you want the resort to host the reception. If anyone is interested, to go through the resort, it is a mimimum of 15 rooms for 3 nights (approx. $9,000 b/c the rooms are an average of $200 per night) and the weddings fee is anywhere from $850 to $1,700. The reception cost is priced per person and is on average about $60 per person, as long as there are at least 25 people. If less, then the resort charges a $500 additional fee and more per person. (This is the price list for the resort good through Dec 2005, so it may be higher now.)

Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone who would like to get married at the church and cannot/doesn't want to go through the resort. One final note, I believe the phone number given is for the priest's home. We talked to several family members before talking to Mercedes. If you would like to call, I'd advise having someone who speaks fluent Spanish make the call.