Changing Airports JFK to La Guardia

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I need some advice about changing airports, JFK to La Guardia and vice versa.

Some of the American Airline flights to Toronto from Santo Domingo go via New York but I would have to change airports in New York. How bad is it? How long does it take? Is there a free shuttle? Do you have to take your bags with you or are they checked through to Canada?

Your advice would be appreciated!!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
This is the worst possible conenction to make - at times it can take 2 hours to do this even on a Sunday just for the terminal to terminal part plus you have INS , Customs and luggage to deal with. You do know AA has Eagle flights from JFK to Toronto don't you? Use that option instead.

Example:
AA 618 0 SDQ 03/11/06 12:27PM JFK 03/11/06 03:13PM AB6
AA 4770 0 JFK 03/11/06 06:45PM YYZ 03/11/06 08:40PM ERD

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The wait for the Olympic or other bus is horrible and from the AA arrivals they then tours the entire airport which takes an hour alone at times. You "may" , if familiar with the NYC Transit system, use the new JFK Subway to a distant stop like Jamaica and then take a taxi to LGA.

Last edited:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
What time would you be in NYC making the connection?

If it's not during rush-hour (7:00-9:00 am or 3:30-7:30 pm), it's not that bad.

If it is during rush-hour, forget it. Too frustrating.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Just don't do it, it's not worth the hassel, find a connecting flight from JFK. Even if you try your luck with the Airtrain to Jamaica Station, you'll still be stuck in the middle of Queens trying to schlep your way on a city bus.

Sep 19, 2005
the devil is in the details

what time are the flights? what days are the flights? there are lots of options the fastest but also with the longests possible delay would be a cab. the most consitent would be the public train transportation.... I see something on the airtrain all the time that says it goes into the city! even though the jamaca station and howard beach stattions are the last stops...possibly there is another conection that can be made...i dont see it at the howard beach station that i constantly use.....

it certainly is totally unpredictable especially with construction projects and accidents in the mix.......not something you would lie to deal with when time is defined already

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I see something on the airtrain all the time that says it goes into the city! even though the jamaca station and howard beach stattions are the last stops...possibly there is another conection that can be made...i dont see it at the howard beach station that i constantly use.....
bob
It connects to NYC Subways like the A-Train at Howard Beach, that will take you into the city.
And, since we are on the subject, who remembers the "Train to the Plane" back in the eighties. Remember the jingle

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
of course

HOWMAR said:
Is that a Dominican term?;):D
Schlepo
Schleppando
Schleppicion
Schleppemente

"Yo Schleppando al otro aeropuerto porque soy barato y tambien yo no soy inteligente"

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Schlepo
Schleppando
Schleppicion
Schleppemente

"Yo Schleppando al otro aeropuerto porque soy barato y tambien yo no soy inteligente"
Thanks,
I'll add it to my Spanish spell-check.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
Just don't do it!!!!!
You are going to miss your flight and you are also going to go through Hell and back trying to catch your next flight through the New York Weather and People. If its your last choice take a Taxi.
Good luck!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We did it four times last year......

going and coming from TO to SDQ.

In October then again in Dec.
Jan/05 then in April....

Wasn't bad at all....
took a taxi the first time....$30US and 15 minutes.....
took the shuttle bus the next time...$15. and 20 minutes....

So I really can't understand why others have had so many problems!
We made sure we had at least 3 1/2 hrs between flights to make allowance for the change in airports and ended up sitting on our duffs for over 3 hrs with nuthing to do.....

Ah well......Life is making decisions!

Sep 19, 2005
mommc......I have left JFK heading right past laguardia on my way north( i bet I pass withing 1/4 miles of laguardia when I go and come home from jfk) a dozen times in the last 6 months

BELIEVE me the road there Van Wyke( spelling?) can become a huge parking lot at times...right now they are doing wok on some of the over passes... and it seems they are always working on something new....it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to make that trip..... if there is an accident it can take even longer if you decide to stay on that road....luckily there are many ways to any place and the taxi guys knows them all

now throw in a late arrival on one of those flights and traffic problems......

late baggage unloading.......you may use all of that 3.5 hours on time

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Heythere said:
I need some advice about changing airports, JFK to La Guardia and vice versa.

Some of the American Airline flights to Toronto from Santo Domingo go via New York but I would have to change airports in New York. How bad is it? How long does it take? Is there a free shuttle? Do you have to take your bags with you or are they checked through to Canada?

Your advice would be appreciated!!!
Since money is no object, let me suggest Helicopter Flight Services, INC. For US$1150 they will transport by helicopter up to six passengers, depending on amount of luggage. Air time is about 10 minutes. See: http://www.heliny.com/service2.htm

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Right you are bob!!

laurapasinifan said:
.....luckily there are many ways to any place and the taxi guys knows them all......

bob

;) ;) Like I said.....we took a taxi 2x and used the shuttle bus 2x!:classic:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I can't believe all the NYC experts couldn't come up with a simple solution.
here is the deal.
When you come out in to the street. See a guy who is selling tickets for a bus which takes you straight to LGA from kennedy or from LGA to kennedy. They charge 11 dollars / adult and the bus comes every 15 minutes. You buy the ticket from the man and get on the bus when it comes. The bus goes to each and every terminal and finally goes to JFK through vanwyck expressway. The traffic is horrible and it took us more than 1 hour the get to JFK from la Guardia.
I hope it helps.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
AZB said:
I can't believe all the NYC experts couldn't come up with a simple solution.
here is the deal.
When you come out in to the street. See a guy who is selling tickets for a bus which takes you straight to LGA from kennedy or from LGA to kennedy. They charge 11 dollars / adult and the bus comes every 15 minutes. You buy the ticket from the man and get on the bus when it comes. The bus goes to each and every terminal and finally goes to JFK through vanwyck expressway. The traffic is horrible and it took us more than 1 hour the get to JFK from la Guardia.
I hope it helps.
AZB
you sound like my ex wife now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say, honey( used to anyway) have you seen my keys....she replys...did you check you pocket?

aarrrgggg.... thanks for the help hon!

obviously your explanation on paper is really good. You havent driven on the van wyck very much.........several million people probably pass through there every 6 hours................crazy crazy crazy.....AZB even the bus going through all the terminals can be so different in times from one day to the next. and there is a bunch of construction going on at terminal 8 and 9 alone!!!!!!!!!! all kinds of different traffic patterns and delays are possible............. a cab is way better, because he doesnt have to stop at every terminal. and wait for all the possible slow people with all their clumbsy bags

I thin any of the trains or sunways would be the most CONSISTANT....which is what you want predictability..............if life were only as simple as walking around santiago looking for a nice looking girl huh?

ha ha ha

bob