A List of Dominican Municipalities & Contact Info?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a full listing of all the Dominican municipalities -- not the ruts in the road, but the ones that actually have mayors (sindicos) and ayuntamientos? And their contact info? I've searched the various official Dominican sites and googled the issue, but so far no luck.

This may be a dumb question, but does Boca Chica have its own ayuntamiento? I thought they were wrapped into Santo Domingo East, but I've just been told I'm wrong about that.

And if they do, any of DR1ers here reside in Boca Chica or spend enough time there to be considered true part-time residents? I would like to find someone who'd be willing to comment & provide pics on the cleanliness of the streets and beaches of BC these days, compared to before, for the Green Team's new series about holding mayors accountable. In the past I'd just ask Jim Hinsch, but hvaen't seen him on this board in ages...

Thanks!

Keith

Jan 5, 2006
You can get the information that you're looking for from the Liga Municipal Dominicana. I don't know if they have a website, but their office is in Santo Domingo, so you should be able to get a telephone number from the yellow or white pages.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Keith R said:
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a full listing of all the Dominican municipalities -- not the ruts in the road, but the ones that actually have mayors (sindicos) and ayuntamientos? And their contact info? I've searched the various official Dominican sites and googled the issue, but so far no luck.

This may be a dumb question, but does Boca Chica have its own ayuntamiento? I thought they were wrapped into Santo Domingo East, but I've just been told I'm wrong about that.

And if they do, any of DR1ers here reside in Boca Chica or spend enough time there to be considered true part-time residents? I would like to find someone who'd be willing to comment & provide pics on the cleanliness of the streets and beaches of BC these days, compared to before, for the Green Team's new series about holding mayors accountable. In the past I'd just ask Jim Hinsch, but hvaen't seen him on this board in ages...

Thanks!

Keith

This is one of the best kept government secrets, along with what they do with the monies allocated to them by the central government. A while back I tried to get this information, without success. When the official passports hustling scandal broke out, the investigative authorities had a difficult time in determining who was a bonafide city councilperson or mayor... This information is kept under wraps by Mr Amable Aristi Castro, President of the Municipal League of the DR (Liga Municipal Dominicana), one of five persons with the most political clout in the DR. However, you may find some outdated information with the DR Central Electoral Authorities (Junta Central Electoral).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks, HM, but last time I checked, the Liga did not have a functional website. That was my first impulse, too. Not sure contacting them by phone is going to do me any good either, unless they've changed significantly since I last sought info by phone from them -- which, judging by what Mirador just said, they haven't. Thanks for the JCE idea, Mirador. That's one I had not thought of. I'll see if that works.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Keith R said:
Thanks, HM, but last time I checked, the Liga did not have a functional website. That was my first impulse, too. Not sure contacting them by phone is going to do me any good either, unless they've changed significantly since I last sought info by phone from them -- which, judging by what Mirador just said, they haven't. Thanks for the JCE idea, Mirador. That's one I had not thought of. I'll see if that works.

Forget it, there's nothing on line. You have to go personally and ask for the information. However, I doubt you'll get it, unless you bribe someone, or break in the office during off-hours.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It's wierd. The DR is always boasting how advanced it is in terms of telecom/info tech, yet has such huge gaping holes in terms of what is available online. I can find more municipal and congressional info online in Central America and Paraguay than I can find for the DR... I am facing a similar trouble in trying to get into contact with a national Deputy that sponsors a bill I want a copy of in order to go a Green Team blog... Seems in the DR only Senators have official emails, and they never read them. Nobody has an official listing for their fax, and many of their phone numbers listed are just plain wrong...:ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We happen to have a publication by the Liga Municipal Dominicana, called 'Los Municipios', subtitled 'Organo de difusion de la LMD', a?o 1, no. 1, marzo-abril 2005. It has all sorts of information about the municipalities, including a message from Amable Aristy himself, with a huge portrait (p3), profiles of different municipalities and their sindicos, an article on waste disposal methods, and a lot of blah blah blah. There is a listing of all municipalities and their phone number, but no web/e-mail addresses, and - wait for it - no phone number. address or any contact mechanism for the LMD central office itself.
I'll post this before I make a snide remark about the Hummer. Oh well, too late.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, as long as you have it, Chiri, guess that's just as good...

Did you say it had an article on waste disposal? Anything worthwhile? (he asked, eyeing the growing list of things he wants before attempting a blog on MSW in the DR...)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
I'll post this before I make a snide remark about the Hummer. Oh well, too late.

You mean you've seen it too? What a sight! Amable Aristy Castro stepping out of his own helicopter into his bright yellow Hummer.

(Sorry for the off-topic, what would these boring threads be without a little gossip ;-)

Jan 5, 2006
Mirador said:
You mean you've seen it too? What a sight! Amable Aristy Castro stepping out of his own helicopter into his bright yellow Hummer.

Hey, all those passports have to amount to something!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
aegap said:
Have you tried CONARE, Keith?
I checked their website, but saw nothing with this type of information on it. Did I miss something? Or are you suggesting I ask them? If the latter, any suggestions on who in particular to contact? My experience with most Dominican government sites is that an email to the general contact email is a total waste of time -- they never respond (one wonders if anyone even reads the incoming emails).