Tourist card fine rates

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
My parents are flying into SDQ next week and will be staying with us for 17 days. I read in another thread that there's a fine for tourists if you stay for more than 15 days.
Last time I went through immigration on my way out I noticed a sign with the rates but I can't remember the limits and charges and they probably changed since then.

1. Does anyone know the going rates for these fines and how and where these are to be paid?

2. Is the fine just due if you don't announce that you'll be staying for more than 15 days?

3. Correct me if I have the immigration procedure wrong:
Buy your touristcard on arrival for 10 USD; 2 blue pages and a card in business-card size with a barcode on it.
Fill in one blue page and hand it over to immigration as they stamp your passport.
Keep the other blue page and the "business"card for departure.

I'd like to pass on as accurate info as possible to them since they don't speak any Spanish and very limited English.
I would sort of like it to be like ordering soup at the soup-nazi in Seinfeld, although it'll probably not be as bad. They've been here twice before when the green touristcard was the order of the day but they are old dogs and this is a new trick.

Thanks,
Bok

Sep 19, 2005
PM STIOP...he works at STI airport, and will probably have the correct answer for you........I remember reading the fines and i remember reading here about the fine...but I cant recall exactly i wont say ...except it was very small( the fine)

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bok said:
My parents are flying into SDQ next week and will be staying with us for 17 days. I read in another thread that there's a fine for tourists if you stay for more than 15 days.
Last time I went through immigration on my way out I noticed a sign with the rates but I can't remember the limits and charges and they probably changed since then.

1. Does anyone know the going rates for these fines and how and where these are to be paid?
Here's a link showing the rates. You need to click on Page 4.

As far as where you pay them, (assuming you don;t prepay tem and you pay them upon exiting the DR), in SDQ it's probably after security and before immigration. Some have said that they've just handed the person in the immigration booth money. The picture on the website indicates that's not the normal route.

Bok said:
2. Is the fine just due if you don't announce that you'll be staying for more than 15 days?
I believe they are fees and not fines, so you probably pay them either way.

Bok said:
3. Correct me if I have the immigration procedure wrong:
Buy your touristcard on arrival for 10 USD; 2 blue pages and a card in business-card size with a barcode on it.
Fill in one blue page and hand it over to immigration as they stamp your passport.
Keep the other blue page and the "business"card for departure.
That seems to be the process. Unless you ask, they will only give you on blue page on arrival. The two trips I took, no one told me about the second blue page until I stepped up to the immigration counter (and then I needed to leave the line, fill out the form, and return).

At those times, the process was still fairly new, hopefully the airlines have learned the new process and will be handing people the blue form when they check in.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Tamborista said:
What happens if you never leave?
:classic: Nada

When you apply for a residency though, and when you get the temporary one ( the one you get for the first year before you can have your permanent residency), you pay the same fee as the above mentioned tariff.
(From the date your tourist card expired to the day your temporary residency is approved )

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
I was just there in Nov and the card is good for 90 days not 10.and the fines run from 100 pesos to 300,000 and thats after 10 yrs

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Or maybe it was 30days I don't remember but I know that if your parents are only going to be there 2 weeks they have nothing to worry about 10us at the airport

Sep 19, 2005
hmmmm I thought the limit was 15 days...not 10 nor 90

I am thinking( possibly poorly) that the 90 days applies to something else, and not the tourist card

bob

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I believe the limit is now 30 days. On my last trip I stayed 15 days. I thought I might have to pay a small amount for the extra day. The overstay fees were posted at SDQ on the front of the departure immigration desks or kiosks or whatever they're called. When I got close enough in line to read it, I saw that the first fee applied after 30 days. Don't recall the amount since I no longer had to worry about it.

This being the DR, the website will probably be updated in 6 or 8 months.:classic:

Packman

Jan 16, 2006
U S citizens 60 day tourist card

Just checked US State Dept.'s web site, which is updated daily states that US citizens can get a 60 day tourist card on arrival with ID and birth certificate, they also strongly recommend using your passport.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is so much conflicting information here that the only solution is to go up to the departure gate when you're at the airport to collect the parents.

Last time I travelled the list of overstay fees was displayed prominently on the counter outside the gate, and you could also speak to someone there.

Don't forget to post the information here when you've got it.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks guys.

The link rellosk posted which held the "tarifas", looked like the table I remember from the immigration booth in the departure area. Looks like my folks will have to cough up 300 rd$ a piece upon departure if the rates are still valid.
And this since they are not US citizens, who according to Packman can get a 60 day tourist card. This makes some sense as a friend of mine had his daughter, who is a US citizen, visit for 3 weeks over xmas and she didn't have to pay any fee upon departure.

Confused? You won't be after next weeks episode of SOAP...... :classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Less than US$10.00 for violating the Dominican Republic's Immigration policy? You got to be kidding! It should be at least US$100.00. I mean, after all, they have to pay for Margarita's new dresses, don't they?

Bok, I'll bet that they won't charge them at all and this will just be an exercise.
As long as they have those RD$300 on hand, just in case. :p:p:p

HB, who wishes he had some parests that could visit the great grandkids.

Jan 21, 2006
The tourist card is 15 days and is now electronic, not one that you complete yourself like you used to. The fines are exactly charged as listed on the website that was posted earlier in this thread. In Puerto Plata it seems as though a 20 dollar bill is aiding in the get by the fine process but in Santiago and Santo Domingo, it is just not working. My friend just left after 2 years and had to pay I believe 8,000 pesos or something like that.

They are cracking down. Best thing to do is just pay in the money and get the residency if going to be here longer than a year.

Jan 21, 2006
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I went through the airport today

with this problem. Had a 12:30 flight from Las America to NYC today and could not find the entery card I bought last Sat. Told to report to the cashier
who asked for $30 and told him to look at my passport for the date I entered the DR. Told him I was paying NOTHING. Stamped the back of my immigration paper and said "see you later have a good trip"

JOHN