Tu si eres babosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
The story: Two girls, one of them tells the other one that she?s going to dump her boyfriend, so the other girl says:Tu si eres babosa

What?s this mean here?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
"silly"

babosa= tonta

She's telling her friend that she is 'silly' (babosa) (for wanting to dump her b/f)

Disclaimer: For an accurate response one should also clarify the 'context' of the scenario if known. Otherwise responses will vary.

LDG.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lesley D said:
babosa= tonta

She's telling her friend that she is 'silly' (babosa) (for wanting to dump her b/f)

LDG.
It may be be as you say, in this context, but my exoerience with this word, is quite different.
Similarly to it's usage in French, "baveux", it means someone who is a bit of a smart alec, looks for trouble, rude.
The origins of the word come from "drool".("babear" in Spanish, "baver" in French)
Why in French & Spanish, it means a smart mouth shyte disturber, while in English, it's what we do when we see a beautiful woman, is beyond me.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rocky...

This is a perfect example why I normally don't respond to 'what does this mean' type threads because the OP never completely gives the context which makes it difficult to decipher the meaning thus resulting in too much speculation.

However, what you say may be true as well but if the meaning you imply is what the OP is asking then technically the phrase is wrong grammatically.

babosa vs. una babosa.

That's why I think she is simply saying her friend is 'silly'. Babosa vs una babosa changes the meaning completely.

LDG.

Rocky said:
It may be be as you say, in this context, but my exoerience with this word, is quite different.
Similarly to it's usage in French, "baveux", it means someone who is a bit of a smart alec, looks for trouble, rude.
The origins of the word come from "drool".("babear" in Spanish, "baver" in French)
Why in French & Spanish, it means a smart mouth shyte disturber, while in English, it's what we do when we see a beautiful woman, is beyond me.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Lesley D said:
This is a perfect example why I normally don't respond to 'what does this mean' type threads because the OP never completely gives the context which makes it difficult to decipher the meaning thus resulting in too much speculation.

However, what you say may be true as well but if the meaning you imply is what the OP is asking then technically the phrase is wrong grammatically.

babosa vs. una babosa.

LDG.

Lesley is right on target, context is basic for interpretation. Remember when President Hip?lito Mej?a popularized the expression by repeatedly calling journalists, "ese es un babobo", "esos son unos babobos".

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Babosa, una babosa

It very well may mean, dumb, stupid, fool, tonta, in this context.
I can tell you there would be no difference between, "babosa" and "una babosa", any more than it would in French, "baveux" or "un baveux".
Sometimes, the adjective is the same word as the noun, like, "you are American" or "you are an American".

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
literally, A babosa is a slug, babosa is also an adjective meaning "slobbery" (baba is slober) My wife tells me this when she thinks I am bullsh!tting her, i.e...

She's giving me crap about this or that and yelling and I start saying "You look so pretty today sweetheart..." she'll say "tu si eres baboso!"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MrMike said:
literally, A babosa is a slug,
That's just a local nickname for a slug, as it is slimey like drool.
MrMike said:
babosa is also an adjective meaning "slobbery" (baba is slober) My wife tells me this when she thinks I am bullsh!tting her, i.e...

She's giving me crap about this or that and yelling and I start saying "You look so pretty today sweetheart..." she'll say "tu si eres baboso!"
I think you are getting closer to the meaning, than "tonta".
All the employess are in now, and I have confirmed with them, that my interpretation of the word is 100% correct.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MrMike said:
literally, A babosa is a slug, babosa is also an adjective meaning "slobbery" (baba is slober) My wife tells me this when she thinks I am bullsh!tting her, i.e...

I think your meaning is more appropriate...Baboso(a) in the context given by the OP is a bull****er. Probably the friend always says that she is dumping her boyfreind but never does.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Stodgord said:
I think your meaning is more appropriate...Baboso(a) in the context given by the OP is a bull****er. Probably the friend always says that she is dumping her boyfriend but never does.
I think she means "slimey" like a slug (no offense to MrMike).
This is probably the meaning in the OP's sentence he posted.
The girl probably takes advantage of the men she dates, then dumps them when a better sugar daddy comes around.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
MrMike's definition is spot on for Dominican-speak.
A baboso is a person who talks a lot of crap.
I have never heard it used to describe a lazy person. That would be vago, haraganetc.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
And one more note on babosa / baboso:

This is a low-class, barrio word. If you use this in the company of refined Dominicans, don't expect them to have much more to talk about with you, because this word immediately tells them who you hang out with, and they won't want to be there much longer.

Perhaps the second or third level of learning Spanish is to learn how to say ugly, crude things in a nicer way.

My favorite nice insult: coprafago. You can say it to someone while smiling, and they will smile right back at you, because not many know what this means.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Stodgord said:
I think your meaning is more appropriate...Baboso(a) in the context given by the OP is a bull****er. Probably the friend always says that she is dumping her boyfreind but never does.

Right, Babosa in this context means that the first speaker is talking sh!t and wont do what she claims she will do. Her words are just so much nonsense, tonteria, like drool.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Mirador...

You know what this means....although it's not written correctly.

LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.