Photos of el Catey-Samana's New Airport

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I have recieved some nice aerial shots of the new international airport at el Catey. The strip is complete and the terminal building is well under way. Unofficially I'm told it will DEFINATELY open before December, '06. The exact date is expected to be announced shortly. I will post the pics as soon as I can figure how to convert and post them from their current format.

Also, I have just learned from one of my very reliable contacts in Samana that the new highway from Samana to Santo Domingo is expected to also open late this year and not in several years as has been suggested.

Stay tuned for the airport pics and further news of the new highway. Samana IS advancing despite the naysayers that say it won't.

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
If it's set to open in Xmas 2006, better get to Las Terrenas now . . .as the airport spells the death of Las Terrenas as we know it . . .

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
SamGompers said:
If it's set to open in Xmas 2006, better get to Las Terrenas now . . .as the airport spells the death of Las Terrenas as we know it . . .

Could you explain this? I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean it's going to be overrun or that it's going to become a ghosttown?

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Do you mean it's going to be overrun or that it's going to become a ghost town?
Over run. Presently it's mostly independant hotels (many small) and travellers. It seems doomed to become another Playa Dorado (almost). The major construction there now will be but a drop in the bucket a few years hence. (Which means that Las Galeras will not be far behind.)

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
scotpgot said:
Could you explain this? I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean it's going to be overrun or that it's going to become a ghosttown?

It means the airport will surely destroy the magic of Las Terrenas, it gonna become another tourist trap.:ermm:

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
Me_again said:
Over run.

Exxtol said:
It means the airport will surely destroy the magic of Las Terrenas, it gonna become another tourist trap.

I'll believe when I see it. I live in the LT area now and it can barely handle the Dominicans and current extranjeros now. The infrastructure just doesn't exist at this point that could support full-fledged anything.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i understand from my wife who was at the el catey airport site the other day that the road from the highway is paved to the terminal and that work is moving at a brisk pace. an engineer there told her that they're hoping to have the airport open by August. i guess then they would have time to run tests etc. for the FAA so that by november they have FAA approval and have the bugs worked out.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Aegap, I don't know what you're smoking in your pipe, but a dream it ain't. It's real. In fact, a friend who spent several nights last week with us at our hotel in LG told me that he was told they've already test-landed a large jet at the strip and that military are now stationed there to keep the strip from being used clandestinly at night by drug interests.

And yes, the entrance road is paved (for over a month now) and work is proceeding at a rapid pace according to my other sources. It will be ready on time, if not before for required tests and certification as suggested by Jasper.

I also hear major airlines are lining up to add el Catey to their schedules. Make no mistake about it, Samana is happening (much to the chagrin of some naysayers on this board and elsewhere).

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I did pass through there recently and the road is paved to the landing zone. I did not see anything else. They would not let us pass through to view. I did not see a lot of construction in the Terranas area or anywhere else for that matter. But the piece of land I was once interested in went up to $50 per meter. Suddenly it was not so beautiful anymore. I don't think you have to worry about a sudden surge in tourism to the area. I don't think it will be overrun anytime soon. Do you consider Punta Cana overrun? It has an airport. Perhaps ten years down the road, DEPENDING ON WORLD ECONOMY, it may see good growth. Just enjoy it as it is now and forget about what may come tomorrow. There are nice beaches all up and down the North Coast. You don't have to be in Samana to enjoy.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Andy B said:
Aegap, ... a friend ...told me that he was told ...

show me the pictures of the landing strip,
icon12.gif
, ..

I'd believe it when i see it!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
The toll road that is currently being constructed from SDQ to Samana will also push a few people North as well. Doubt it will be "overrun", but it will see more visitors then it does now with both an airport and a major road.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"show me the pictures of the landing strip,..."

A little slow on the draw, are we? I posted about 10 or so pictures of both the strip and the terminal under construction almost two months ago. Maybe Robert will repost them to this thread.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Google el Catey and see...

For the pictures that I previously posted and a LOT of other infor regarding the new airport at el Catey, just Google "el Catey." There are 10 PAGES of links to various info regarding the airport. Check it out.

antonin

May 20, 2006
does anyone has informations about the rumour of brad Pitt buying Land in las Terrenas.I have seen some pictures of him in dominican republique on an internet site.

vlokje

May 13, 2004
yes it is there,the landingstrip.I was there.Also contracts out for a Spanish plane and Canadians to land there.And it is certianly going to change lt and samana as we know it,not overnight but....

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
airport almost finished!

http://www.caribepreferente.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4384&Itemid=40

http://clavedigital.com/Portada/Articulo.asp?Id_Articulo=7578

Samana airport ready in November
The El Catey International Airport, serving the northeastern province of Samana will be inaugurated in the month of November, as announced by Airport Department Director Andres Vanderhorst. According to a report by Diario Libre, the physical structures are 90% complete. The terminal will be able to receive and service three large jet airliners at the same time.

Last edited: