Why that Marjory of Dominicans tame to like hip hop or reggae better than rock?

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
Most Dominicans they prefer reggae or hip hop music instead of rock so I was wondering why, what?s rock with rock or alternative? I mean I listen to rock and I?m not into drugs or all that gothic stuff, I asked this Dominican dude at school why don?t he likes rock he told me because people who are into rock are crazy and they?re weir??but that?s not a good answer I think so I want to know other Dominicans opinions

Kidd Creole

Nov 29, 2005
I listen to some of jimi Hendrix and The Parliment Stuff of Rock, But you want to know why we listen to Reggae or Hip-Hop Right??

Most Dominicans listen to the music of their Homeland Salsa, Bacheta, and Merengue...Hip-Hop has some of the Beats that remind people of The Carribean Drum Beats maybe..What really should matter is what you perfer to listen to.

Good Night

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
dude yeah you're right i don't really care about what peopel might think of me ,i'll keep listening to rock because thta's what i like and so what if some dominicans hate me because of that i don't really care ..........thanks for replying though
bye

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm a rocker at heart so I try to find Spanish Rock or close to it

Here are some suggestions, "Mana" or some of "juanes" sounds kind of rocky like the song "nada valga sin tu amor", "no siento penas" or try to listen to the whole album called "mi sangre" and he did a duet with Nelly Furtado who is our Canadian Rocker ;)

Oh just remembered a Dominican asking to bring down some Lenny Kravitz CD's

Last edited:

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
awesome aha.............dude you should totally listen to sublime they rock. I love my chemical romance(frank iero is so cute),fallow out boys,goo goo doll,the all american reject,system of a down(my babies),hawthorne heights(they're kind of gothic but they rock)greenday,blink 182(love them),loinkin park,mest,cold play(heaven),3 door down,relient-k,(aww)coheen and cambria,and many more..............i like juane also and shakira and some rock bands from argentina and spain,yeah i knwo that song of juanes with nelly " fotografias" right, i liked that song ....i like of different language like neya and o-zone and others but i defenitely love rock all the way

May 31, 2005
Dominicans like reggae better because of the beats.

But there is still a big rock following. I know many people that are into rock. I am Dominican and I personally do not like too much rock. I will listen to it sometimes. I like some artists like Linkin Park, Metallica, and Evanescence(among others) that may not be considered hard rock.

The following link is a forum Dominican rock.

www.anivelde.com

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Dude, we Dominicans do like rock music, dude. Eletronic music is also making great inroads, specially among the educated urban youth of Santiago and Santo Domingo, thanks to the europeans.

Rock-on dude!

afj.sized.jpg

Last edited:

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
i listen to hip hop and reggeaton bachata merengue and its true i dont listen too rock but its becuase it doesnt appeal to me its not really because of all that gothic stuff i just dont find it interesting

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
hahaha cool, but not all dominicans , hopefully in the future all the dominicans will learn tha trock is just great and punk rock it's like heaven ,when you're feeling down and sad juts by listening to punk rock you will get better

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Rock is made and listened by white folks (mostly...)
Reggae and rap is made and listened by colored folks (mostly...)

On one side, you have Mick Jagger and Axl Rose, and on the other, Bob Marley and Snoop Dog...

-Whose side is the easiest to identify with for a regular dominican ???

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Los jevitos (aka hijo de papi y mami) like to listen to rock because they think it makes them feel more cultured. They are more into rock, techno and other music listened by the white population of the world. Have you seen one them try to dance merengue, salsa and bachata, it is a disgrace I rather take my chances with a gringo. On the other hand the down to earth Dominicans love their home grown musics and the musics introduced by the DomYork like hip-hop and reggae.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Squat said:
Rock is made and listened by white folks (mostly...)
Reggae and rap is made and listened by colored folks (mostly...)

On one side, you have Mick Jagger and Axl Rose, and on the other, Bob Marley and Snoop Dog...

-Whose side is the easiest to identify with for a regular dominican ???

thats it basically, its culturally closer

principe

Nov 19, 2002
i like rock but nowhere nearly as much as hiphop and reggeatony....i like to bugg out and blast a little audislave, nirvana, or chilli peppers but when the ladies are around you cant dance rock with a girl....boooo no fun

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
what do you mean down to earth dominicans you're offending people by saying that .....................................and you're wrong i listen to rock and i still like to dance bachata and merengue and that kind of stuff.you just have a wrong opinion of rock, you're like some old dominicans that think the if you listen to rock you're going to damage yourself and that's so wrong.maybe you're the one who is not so down to earth, dude do you even know rock and roll history(rock white music as some of you call it)

Rock 'N Roll" is a type of music. It "shook things up" in the 1950s and 1960s. Many musical styles from around the world contributed to this new sound. Along with the African American(are they white you idiots ) influence, rock 'n roll also drew on the lyrical melodies of recent European immigrants and the country and western music of Texans.
"Rock 'N Roll" is a musical genre whose 'golden age' is usually recognized as the decades of the 1950's and 1960's. This musical form had its beginnings in the blues tunes, gospel music, and jazz-influenced vocal music that became popular among African-American audiences after World War II. A new kind of blues, it featured electrically amplified guitars, harmonicas, and drummers that emphasized afterbeats. At the same time, black gospel music grew in popularity. These forms of black popular music were given the label rhythm and blues (R and B) and were played on big-city radio stations. Radio spread this music's appeal from black communities to towns throughout all of the United States. By the mid-1950's such performers as Little Richard, Joe Turner, and Chuck Berry were becoming popular with white audiences. Radio disc jockeys began calling their music rock 'n roll. See the African American were actually the ones whom started with this rock thing, they were the ones who gave their influences to this type of music, so as you can see rock is not blanquitos music.The record industry was aware that a new music was being created by the blacks, and tried to exploit it with Bill Haley. His success proved that there was an audience for that music, and it was an audience desperate for anything that would play that music.

White people had the money, but black people were making the most exciting music. This created a niche for independent labels recording black artists for the white audience, but it could never become a mass market. The USA was still largely a racially-divided country. There was little chance that a black singer could become as popular as, say, Frank Sinatra. When Sam Phillips founded Sun Records in Memphis (Tennessee), he made the famous statement "If I could find a white man who sings with the Negro feel, I'd make a million dollars". actually thanks to rock white started liking black popel, and the're many black popel rock bands in england.fefe dobson si black and she's rocker and will smith wife is black and she's a roc kand shakira and juanes and a couple of more bands from argentian and spain.see shakira is a rocker and she dances freaking hot and good and because she listen to rock she is not losing her culture or anything ,she's really nice and simple so therefore you're so wrong dude.but i still love hahahahah (stodgord or whatever your name is)byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have you ever try listening to rock and getting wild and crazy and just feeling free and not giving a **** of what people might say(try it it's awesome)

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Interesting Topic

Awesome, 1 Question: Do you live in DR or abroad?

On to the topic:
I do not believe this topic is race related, I think that is an ignorant statement. I believe a person choices are more related to location and economics.

Economics: A Dominican that has more money has more buying power therefore can afford to watch (MTV, VH1, etc. ) or listen to rock music from the States, Europe or Latin America. Therefore the "rich" kids can appreciate a Greenday, Heroes del Silencio, etc. while the door just listen to tradional music.

Location: What I mean is not just the place you live but school and other social factors. Most Dominican-Yorks probably listen to rap music because of the neighborhoods their parents emigrated to, if they were to live in the suburbs they would be listening to whatever is heard in that particular suburb. People in the "ghetto" tend to be close minded, therefore if is not surprising most Dominicans listen to rap exclusively, these Dominicans transfer the music to their cousins, friends, etc. in DR and the cycle repeats because the ones in DR want to emulate those that live abroad. Now some of you will say location does not play a role because kids in the suburbs listen to rap music as well but those just like their Dominican counterparts have the money to purchase more than just one genre. In DR the upper-middle to "elite" economic class live in the same neighborhood, attend the same schools and therefore share common interests.

Why race plays a miniscule role:
The Dominican Republic's greatest band (Toque Profundo) is fronted by a 6'5 Black Dominican, most of DR's rock bands have alot of dark skinned Dominicans so therefore I believe it is foolish to make this topic into a race issue. Johnny Ventura's merengue style incorporated alot of rock n' roll. Also everybody know it was "African-Americans" that invented rock n' roll.

Now to answer "Awesome":
Alot of Dominicans like rock n' roll especially in DR, again it is mostly the upper-middle to elite class. I actually started a thread a while back cause I was shock at how some of my Dominican friends prefer SCR"emo" music to our national music (I hate emo). I really dislike emo some singles are okay but albums suck no creativity, MCR "Helena" is good but the rest is over dramatic, Hawthrone Heights "The Transition" is a good song until the idiot starts screaming like a banshee, it does not add anything to the song.

"Dominican Rock":
There are a couple of Dominican bands, I do not know if I would consider all of them rock music.
Toque Profundo is by far the best Dominican rock band and one of the oldest, they definitely know what they are doing.
Al-Jadaqui, is a newer band on the scene, mostly supported by the jevito crowd, they are very commercial, I do not really know if they are "rock" but I would categorize them as tropical-rock. I like them, they produce feel good, laid back music.
Calor Urbano, again can not really categorize as rock but some people would, at least in DR, another commercial band.
Another band I've heard of but have not heard is Entrenos (Dominican band not the Venezolano band).
I've heard harder rock Dominican bands but can't remember their names, hard to find.

Peace,
Capo

Awesome

Jan 20, 2006
Well I live in New York (Brooklyn) and yeah the majority in here prefers hip hop but not me because I’m not trying to belong or to get attention , I got no need to do that; I’m just myself I listen to what I like and do what I think is good for me. See I’d never been a hip hop or reggaeton fanatic. Even when I used to live in the Dr i was more into rock than into hip hop or reggeaton and when I came to live here I continued liking rock because I don’t fallow people I just try to listen and do what really makes me happy. I do appreciate Spanish musi with quality and with meaning. I like sin vanderas (their song are so touching),Shakira, Anthony Santos, Raulin Rodriguez, Nathalia y la forquetina , Joe Veraz, Juan Luis Guerra and stuff like that in general music with some kind of meaning. For example are dislike 50 cents, hi songs are so stupid like the candy shop come he say in that song” I take you to the candy shop, I let you lick my lollipop” I find that so inappropriate and meaningless and also he talk about sex like something not important and I thought sex what suppose to be something beautiful and pure but those kind of songs are not so positive for our sociality. You can’t blame the community in which you live for your mistake and the way you act because you’re the one who need to make the choices for your future and either go wrong or right so I don’t I agree when you intend to tell me that the taste of music and way of being depends on which community live because that’s not true ,here in Brooklyn are a lot of idiots smoking and a lot of chicken head ****ing around and majority of them like hip hop but I don’t do those kind of things because I know better instead I prefer hanging around with the nerds and decent people because it’s my future that I’m suppose to care about and the others can **** themselves I’m not going to die for the mi could give them so kind of advices but nothing more. My point is that the taste of music is not about in what community you live and if you just fallow what the majority like because you want to belong the only one fooling and kidding yourself is you. I don’t care if I’m the weird one around because at least I know I do what I like and I think about myself as an person before anything else. we willl see if in the future i do good or wrong ,i'm still 16 so i got a lot to learn but i don't think i'm going to like hip hop in the future jsut not my stuff..................bye bye I like knowing others opinions because it's cool to learn from each others and take everything in a positive way and make a good thing out of it so who knows I might give this hip hop an second chance. I could be a rapper in the future (just kidding) yo yo It’s a fact that I suck at this rapping thing but at least I giving it a try yeah yeah yeah…….hahahahhahahahaha I’m such an weirdo