Chulo= sugar daddy also means nice

Enchumbao= to be full of

Enchulao= to be in love

Cuero= prostitute

Bacan= cool person

Pacha= Someone with a good lifestyle

Mayimbe= go getter, boss, accomplished person
15 years, and still learning.
If you don't mind me asking, are a born & bred Dominican?
If so, then maybe I have to relearn a few expressions, for instance, for me, cuero means slut, not prostitute. That is to say, as I understand it, a cuero does not necessarily do it for money.
Also, I would say mentiroso/a, for a liar.
Around Sosua, when one refers to a woman's chulo, they are talking about her pimp.
Please let me know how sure you are about these words/expressions, as it is a lot harder to unlearn the mistakes I learned, than to learn something for the first time, and my brain is getting lazy (aragan).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"Estoy quajao= I feel lazy". My interpretation of this, would be more like, lacking desire to do something.
"Enchumbao= to be full of". I believe this means, I am all wet.

May 31, 2005
You can call prostitutes and sluts cueros. Chulo can mean pimp and sugar daddy. If you see a nice car you can also say "Ese carro si esta chulo". Sometimes words have more than one meaning. I usually say "me cuaje" when I was going to do something and then at the last minute decided not to do it.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
estoy en olla (not en la olla) = estoy comiendome un cable = i'm broke, or at least have not enough money to do something.

enchumbao = yep, i understood it was related to being all wet, i have heard it specially refering to wet shoes after a rain.

muelu = sweet talker, not necessarily a liar.

cuero = slut

chulo = pimp, also nice, depends on context.

hablador = jablador (more common among average dominicans) = jabladoraso = someone who exagerates things or twist them to get what they want.

'toy feo pa' la foto = things can't be worst for me

sometimes they add "y borroso pal video" = see above

Jess

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
You can call prostitutes and sluts cueros.
This is true, but a cuero is not necessarily a prostituta.
A prostituta does it for money, whereas a cuero may or may not.
The town slut/cuero may bop around from man to man, and bed to bed, just for the pleasure of doing it,
A dog is an animal, but an animal is not a dog.

May 31, 2005
Rocky said:
This is true, but a cuero is not necessarily a prostituta.
A prostituta does it for money, whereas a cuero may or may not.
The town slut/cuero may bop around from man to man, and bed to bed, just for the pleasure of doing it,
A dog is an animal, but an animal is not a dog.
I agree... I was just trying to say that it can be used to mean both.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
A nice car can also be called a "bajapanty"

Cueros are prostitutes, though I suppose it could also be applied to sluts. The word is also used as a verb. I was recently told that a neighbor of ours in the campo wants to "cueriar en Espa?a."

hablador is liar, like mentiroso, because it means someone who talks alot of ****.

?ame, the tuber, used to refer to a dummy.

Paraguayo: nerd

I will have to think more on this, as there are so many dominicanisms. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
macocael said:
hablador is liar, like mentiroso, because it means someone who talks alot of ****.
That certainly is the way Dominicans use the word, but in actual fact, it means someone who talks a lot.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Gua Gua...

An obvious, but overlooked addition...

gua gua = bus

Are Dominicans the only Spanish speaking people that refer to buses as "gua guas?"

BTW: I thought "cuero" meant prostitute and "puta" was commonly used for the word "slut?"

-Helpmann :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
helpmann said:

gua gua = bus

Are Dominicans the only Spanish speaking people that refer to buses as "gua guas?"

BTW: I thought "cuero" meant prostitute and "puta" was commonly used for the word "slut?"

Guagua is usually the public transport van, but can be an ordinary van, and some even call pick up trucks, guaguas.
The word "puta" came from shortening the word "ProstitUTA".
Cuero means slut.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Standard Written Dominican-Spanish (SWDS)

Rocky said:
Guagua is usually the public transport van, but can be an ordinary van, and some even call pick up trucks, guaguas.
The word "puta" came from shortening the word "ProstitUTA".
Cuero means slut.
Thanks, I think I got it now!

Prostituta = Prostitute
Cuero = Slut
Puta = Whore
(which can be intrepreted as Slut or Prostitute, depending on the girl and the transaction taking place)

Thanks,
Helpmann :classic:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Scuse me, typo there. No offense intended to those from Paraguay!!

And Rocky, yeah, I didnt mean to overlook the basic definition of Hablador, but as we are talking about Dominican usage here, I gave the short form.

Muel? is sweet talker, as mentioned above, someone who likes to coquetear. Of course, that connotes a liar in a sense if you dont believe in sweet nothings or the muel? in question sweet talks you without ever really delivering on his sentiments!

Bac?n or bacano, is someone cool, a heavy dude

Jevito, someone who dresses de moda

Cach? -- once when I was at the Club Arroyo Hondo, a woman who basically had lifted herself up by her bootstraps and was in the process of arranging a wedding, was not pleased by the lack of attention being paid her, and she scolded the president for this, telling him "somos gente de cach?." That is, people who dress and behave well, I imagine.

Pach? is an interesting term and I have always wondered whether it derives from the word "pasha."

Palomo: street kid; also a tiguere who doesnt know how to get women.

Tiguere: anyone who wants to know all about this rich term should consult Lipe Collado's El Tiguere Dominicano.

Degarit? (accent on the last syllable)

Quillao: guapo

q?ajao: (the "u" is pronounced in this term)

Ser de na': as in "Ese tipo no es de na' "-- a clueless type, someone who counts for nothing.

Estar en la onda: To be de moda, fashionable.

Estar alante: "tu 'ta alante" which means you are really with the fashion. When they tell you "tu ta alante alante" then you know you are really on the cutting edge of fashion.

More will come as I think of them and consult with friends and family. Any more from the DR1 crew? Let's hear them

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
helpmann said:
Thanks, I think I got it now!

Prostituta = Prostitute
Cuero = Slut
Puta = Whore
(which can be intrepreted as Slut or Prostitute, depending on the girl and the transaction taking place)

Thanks,
Helpmann :classic:

Los cueros de la Duarte con Paris are hookers so the word cuero can be applied to hookers (aka prostitues) as well as sluts.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Cueros vs. Prostituta, there is really no reason for the disagreement. In many cultures words that are used to denote prostitutes are also used to connote sluts. It is a simple transference of the meaning metaphorically.

There is no doubt that cuero here is used to refer to prostitutes. As I mentioned above, people here will say things like "ella anda cueriando en Espa?a" etc. We know exactly what they are referring to , but of course the term can be used to apply to a slut as well.

Words are not fixed things -- the Lockean concept of language and meaning, based on fixed meanings for nouns, died out a long time ago. Words are slippery, their metaphoric nature allows them to develop myriad associations. that is the whole fun of the thing.

Hence, "hablador," literally "talker" or someone who talks alot, can also be used by association to refer to a liar, because liars talk alot of "-----". The context will tell you the specific meaning intended. There was a similar string on here about the use of the word "baboso."

Here is another, related I guess to muel?:

Dar Muela: I am not sure about this, but my wife tells me that while las mujeres "coquetean" los hombres "dan muela" -- same activity, separate genders.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Here is a good list from a previous thread on the subject (Thank you jaredhobbs):

El dominicano no te enga?a: te lo mete frio.

El dominicano no es infiel: pega cuernos.
El dominicano no es mentiroso: es jablador.

El dominicano no es experto: es un verdugo.
El dominicano no eyacula: echa un polvo.

El dominicano no consigue: liga o guisa.

El dominicano no anda en auto buses: anda en guagua.

El dominicano no se le da un aventon: le dan una bola.

El dominicano no se emborracha: se da un jumo.
El dominicano no resbala: patina.

El dominicano no espia: brecha.
El dominicano no se burla: tripea.

El dominicano no se enamora: se asfixia.
El dominicano no convense: da muela.

El dominicano no besuquea: chulea.
El dominicano no lame: lambe.

El dominicano no molesta: fu?e.
El dominicano no se ba?a: se echa agua.

El dominicano no llena su estomago: se jarta.
El dominicano no se molesta: se quilla.

El dominicano no te golpea: te eplota.
El dominicano no sufre de diarrea: sufre de churria.

El dominicano no fracasa: se gualla.
El dominicano no encuentra: jalla.

El dominicano no comparte en grupo: hace coro .
El dominicano no trepa: se encarama.

El dominicano no se abaja: se aplata.
El dominicano no se baja: se apea.

Que viva mi pais !!!

Verdugo is a good one, and you see that hablador is there too. Another thread turned up this term: "cara de Fuiche" (I guess "sh-t Face" or "butt-face") -- I dont know if the preposition is obligatory, but we have a neighbor in the campo whose apodo (nickname) is carafuiche.

Stodgard mentioned another one I like in a separate post: Lamb?n (or lambona). We had a visitor from the loma during the holidays, an older guy, in his fifties, and he was regaling us with stories about his much younger girlfriend, a buscavida of winning ways (you see, not just expats have to deal with these issues). He was going on and on about what a lambona she was,and I remember laughing out loud when he complained, "dio', que labio tiene esa mujej" Priceless.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Rocky said:
15 years, and still learning.
If you don't mind me asking, are a born & bred Dominican?
If so, then maybe I have to relearn a few expressions, for instance, for me, cuero means slut, not prostitute. That is to say, as I understand it, a cuero does not necessarily do it for money.
Also, I would say mentiroso/a, for a liar.
Around Sosua, when one refers to a woman's chulo, they are talking about her pimp.
Please let me know how sure you are about these words/expressions, as it is a lot harder to unlearn the mistakes I learned, than to learn something for the first time, and my brain is getting lazy (aragan).

Yes I'm born and bred Dominican.The way I described the dominican words is the right way. I use these words all the time in DR.Cuero has several meanings. It can be the same as a prostitue, or it can be a slutty woman. Women who work in whore houses are often called cuero. A chulo can be a pimp or sugar daddy or it can also mean nice.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
helpmann said:

gua gua = bus

If I'm not mistaken puero ricans also say gua gua
cuero also means prostitute. Puta means bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.