Living expences

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
I'm relocateing to Puerto Plata from the UK after Easter. Supposing I can find an apartment to rent in the region of 6000-8000 pesos pm, and use public transport, how will my standard of living be on the 45000 pesos pm I will have left from my pension to live on?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
alanflamenco said:
I'm relocateing to Puerto Plata from the UK after Easter. Supposing I can find an apartment to rent in the region of 6000-8000 pesos pm, and use public transport, how will my standard of living be on the 45000 pesos pm I will have left from my pension to live on?

Are you the only person that will make use of this money? Do you plan to have a telephone and connect to the internet? What is your medical situation? Will you be paying all your medical costs from the RD$45,000? Do you have any insurance charges or anything like that that need to be paid out of your pension money, thus reducing the amount you have for living expenses?

For POP residents, what is available there for rent for 6-8,000 pesos? Is that a realisitic expectation?

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
I hope I can have a telephone and internet, I have some short term medical insurance, is other medical insurance available in DR, or is it pay as you go?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My suggestion is that you pull together a budget, outlining what you think it will cost for each item. You may be able to get some information from here:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36973

Once you've finished your budget, post it on DR1. You will get lots of responses. It should make for an interesting thread.

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
Hey, I'm just an ordinary guy, no fancy restaurants, social drinker, non smoker, can I live a reasonable lifestyle on 45000 pesos. Most of my Dominican friends seem to exist on a budget a lot lower than mine, so can I expect a comfortable lifestyle?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
45,000 pesos pm should be managable. However to figure out what you will pay in rent you have to let us know what type of living situation you would like i.e. gated area, 24 lights, water etc. vs. an apartment with 4 walls a few windows and a door. Rent will be your highest expense.

Do you plan on getting a cell phone? Are you going to take public transportation? etc.

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
In all my previous visits I have stayed in hotels, I am familiar with the Barrios as these are where my friends live, I am advised by them that I would not be able to live amongst them as the criminals would soon be attracted to a 'gringo'. I need advice on where the more secure and quieter areas of POP are, but I would be quite happy with a modest place, as long as the water was warm. I assume to ahve the internet there has to be a phone line connected, the same as in the UK.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You can easily get a small apartment of 1-2 rooms, unfurnished, and downtown or even in Torre Alta for around 6000-8000 pesos a month.
You will have to pay electricity, cable TV, internet etc additionally.

An apartment of 1-2 rooms, if no a/c, electricity around 1000 pesos/month
Cable TV 400 pesos/month
gas for stove appr. 300 pesos/ 3 months depening on usage
Internet, depending on speed, incl. phone 1300-3000 pesos/month

There are mixtures of immigrants & locals in most areas of POP.
Downtown, Torre Alta, Bayardo, Atlantico etc etc.
The above costs I mentioned are for regular residencial areas, not gated communities where costs are higher.

You can live on 45000 pesos here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A couple of comments in response to things said or asked in your posts.

A variety of insurance plans are available here. You can get recommendations from people in Puerto Plata about which plans are likely to be accepted by most doctors there.

For a variety of reasons, Domincans can get by on fewer pesos than us foreigners. Pesos seem to go farther with them than with us.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
alanflamenco said:
Thanks Carina, very helpful. How about a furnished apartment?

Furnished are more expensive. Calculate at least 2000-2500 more per month.

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for all the info, one last thing, how do you find an apartment for rent, are they advertised, is it word of mouth, or just go and look?

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
costs

You can rent a furnished appartment with one bedroom, a big terrace with fantastic view in Costambar for 7500 pesos/month, all in : cable TV, gas to cook, electricity. Of course those appartments are not brand new, but for the price...and it will take you only 5 minutes to walk to the beach. With 45 000 pesos you can live like a king here. Some Europeans live with less than half of this and are living very well, having a car, celluar,...

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
medical insurance

You can have a very good medical insurance for about 13 000 pesos/year. If you want more information, just ask.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
alanflamenco said:
Thanks for all the info, one last thing, how do you find an apartment for rent, are they advertised, is it word of mouth, or just go and look?

I suggest you come here, take a few days at a hotel downtown.
They go for around 600-1100 pesos per night.
Look around and ask around.
Where to live is a very personal choice, some like it downtown, some prefer outside in the newer development areas, or maybe Costambar as the previous poster suggested.
You need to see for yourself, meet the people living around etc etc.
No apartments are advdertised here, unless it is a tourist apartment area.
Just ask around, walk around, and you will find what you need.

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
I would like to take this opportunity of thanking everyone who has offered advice and info to me, it has all been very helpful. Can't wait to get down to DR and perhaps meet some of you too.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Medical insurance

My medical insurance is from "Ars Popular", there are different posibilities, I have the best of them. Until now I didn't have any problem. The office is in Beller.