food for thought

Sep 19, 2005
I am planning another trip for next month....while I know a few of you have the shut up and book attitude....i am sure others will find it of some interest how and when and maybe why fares and flights are so drastically different when you would think they would be more in a "certain" line because of competition between the airlines

that said

i was looking at 2/16/06 into STI and 2/20/06 out od STI

I dont want to fly any other city but STI!!!

I would consider several airports to fly out of on my initial flight

such as JFK..#1
EWR
La guardia( dont know the abbreviation)

well AA jfk to sti is $434
AA EWR to sti..no nonstops at all
Delta EWR to sti no flights scheduled at all on those dates
Delta JFK to sti $789
continental EWR to STI no seats in any class available( dont know what that means precisely)
Continetal Jfk( clicked "include nearby airports")..I get this message:

Continental or its partners serve these cities but do not publish schedules or fares between them. It may be possible to construct an itinerary using two separate fares by calling 1-800-300-1547.
Modify Flight Search

I know I havent checked la guardia yet... and maybe there is something to be gained by doing so.....but I just think the options available for one of the largest citys (greater new york) that fly into the DR....

I also cant choose dates before or after, as my time off is set usually

what ahppened to all those continental deals out of EWR??

I know jet blue is an option, but those late arrivals, may not be worth it for me

bob

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I just got 414.50 for JFK to STI on those dates. Not bad flying times either.

The problem we all have to deal with when flying into the DR from the States - (as well from other countries) is the high taxes, and the limitation of air lift. The airlines have us all by the b+_ls, they do not increase their lift even though there is the market to do so, and they don't offer non-stops from outside of the east coast/southeast. Finding an affordable, convenient flight is of the past.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:

Continental or its partners serve these cities but do not publish schedules or fares between them. It may be possible to construct an itinerary using two separate fares by calling 1-800-300-1547.
Modify Flight Search
Except for LGA-PUJ, CO doesn't fly to the DR from JFK or LGA; only from EWR.

laurapasinifan said:
Continental still has great fares to the DR. Unfortunately, the time you are trying to book overlaps with Presidents Day, a big travel weekend. The fares for the preceding week s about $300, including tax.

Jan 5, 2006
2 things are killing the prices for your dates. Presidents Day as Rellosk pointed out, and also high demand from people going to DR for the different carnivals.

I'm flying into STI on the 17th and returning on the 26th, and the price for those flights has fluctuated anywhere between $434 and $904 for economy class seats. Ouch!

In our area, the only nonstop options to STI are CO from EWR and JB, AA & DEL from JFK. If you're willing to make one stop, then you can choose to fly from EWR, JFK, LGA or PHL.

Sep 19, 2005
I dont mind a one stop flight , but i dont like the 8 hour plus flight times.... that takes a whole day away from my time off!!!!!!!

as far as carnivals..when is the carnival in La Vega????? and are there any in santiago over that time frame?

I saw a good fare from jet blue...didnt like the 2;30 am arrival though

bob

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
I dont mind a one stop flight , but i dont like the 8 hour plus flight times.... that takes a whole day away from my time off!!!!!!!

as far as carnivals..when is the carnival in La Vega????? and are there any in santiago over that time frame?

I saw a good fare from jet blue...didnt like the 2;30 am arrival though

bob

I know Jet Blue has the worst times out of any other airline going to DR, but in all honesty, it's well worth it because they do give you the best deals. If Jet Blue was offering flights in those times to PUJ, I would have brought the tickets in a second. But, I can't complain, I was able to get non-stop flights from JFK to PUJ for $399.55 for May 13th to the 29th. Anyone who has been to PUJ from JFK, knows that these tickets usually range around $600.00. For some reason PUJ is the most expensive airport to fly into.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A.J. said:
Every sunday in February for both La Vega and Santiago.
Are you sure it's every Sunday in February in Santiago? I had asked the question in another thread, but was not able to get an answer.

laurapasinifan said:
I am planning another trip for next month....while I know a few of you have the shut up and book attitude....i am sure others will find it of some interest how and when and maybe why fares and flights are so drastically different when you would think they would be more in a "certain" line because of competition between the airlines

that said

i was looking at 2/16/06 into STI and 2/20/06 out od STI

I dont want to fly any other city but STI!!!

I would consider several airports to fly out of on my initial flight

such as JFK..#1
EWR
La guardia( dont know the abbreviation)

well AA jfk to sti is $434
AA EWR to sti..no nonstops at all
Delta EWR to sti no flights scheduled at all on those dates
Delta JFK to sti $789
continental EWR to STI no seats in any class available( dont know what that means precisely)

Modify Flight Search

I know I havent checked la guardia yet... and maybe there is something to be gained by doing so.....but I just think the options available for one of the largest citys (greater new york) that fly into the DR....

I also cant choose dates before or after, as my time off is set usually

I know jet blue is an option, but those late arrivals, may not be worth it for me

bob

Bob I hope to meet you on flight 833 on the 16th, I will be there will you? ;)

Sep 19, 2005
hey badpiece.....I have to come back the 20th....thus the higher price...leave a day earlier or a day later and the price drops. I used to take flight 2054 back...leaves sti about 4:30 or 5:30 depending on daylight savings time..get into jfk around 8:30ish.....the best of getting back at a decent time and staying in bed as long as possible in the morning!!! ha ha ha

but the stopped flying 2054 until july i heard...

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Flight 2054 will be added again starting on 6/8 with a departure time of 4:17 PM. In the past, that flight departed at either 4:35 PM or 5:35 PM.

That has always been my favorite return flight, because I always felt like I still had a whole day there. I hate losing those few hours by having the last flight depart at 1:50 PM. I think that we're going to have to pitch in and charter one of these. :)

Sep 19, 2005
well i just booked my flight, and i went with AA again....believe it or not the price DROPPED!!!!!! it was $434 a few weeks ago... and I just got $394....same flights ......poke me with a stick!!!!!!!!!!

got way back on the way down...hopefully will get out fast. Got stuck in the middle on the way back

badpiece33, Ill look for you in the lobby....

bob