Which route is more scenic?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Hello friends and flamers:

I have often taken a car to Samana from SDQ, and also from POP. My question is regarding Santiago.

I know that I prefer the drive from SDQ to the one from POP - longer, but you get to experience more diverse people and plant watching - you're whisked from the busy capital past broken down cars with no warning lights to a highway and then you nap only to wake up in the middle of rice paddies, then mountains and villages and bingo, with a little luck - you're on the peninsula: high drama and the route prefered by my guests.

As I said, I prefer it to the route from POP to the peninsula. IMO, driving from POP through the resort towns is depressing for me. Yes, it is a shorter drive, but no mountains, no rice paddies, and tons of tourists thinking that "this" is the best of the DR. Oy! And I am on my way to Paradise. Well, it's not reall ythat great. Don't head to the peninsula.

So, that said. And further, please don't warnme about driving - I know the deal.

Having read my description of the drive from SDQ, what can you say about the drive from Santiago - scenery, absence of touristy stuff on the road, enjoyable?

I appreciate it, I have friends who also appreciate your input.

Sep 19, 2005
well I have driven to samana from Santiago and back again....now on the way down my navigator(gf) missed a turn off rte one( I wanted to go 234 and 204 into SFDM) so we went past LaVega, and made a left turn on to rte 19 and went up through San Fransisco de macoris and then right onto Nagua and onto samana.... I really liked that valley from the rte one road near la vega to sfdm!!! with the mountains on one side and the huge flat rice fields. Plus the road was good!!!!!!! i really liked the ride when we got past nagua along the shore...but you probably already have seen that . I dont remember much between SFDM to nagua. i remember the road from SFDM back into Santiago... and it was an awful road.....curvy and up and down a little...lots of life along the road....but slow because of the poor road.

if I had to do it again I think it is faster to take route 1 to route 19 and up to SFDM than to go through moca and salcedo...mainly because of the road.

if you like a drive, head up into Constanza!!!!!!!!

Bob

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Dear Bob!

Thank you so much - can you compare the drive to the one from SDQ? On a scenic scale of 1 to 10? If not, no problem. Thank you always! xx

Sep 19, 2005
I know some people here think i am a KNOW IT ALL.. gringo

but i dont speak of what i dont know

I have only gone to Higuey and Santiago from SD......so i cant offer a comparison.
..frankly without looking at the map..i wouldnt know the way from SD to Samana......

good luck

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The drive from Santiago to Saman? is the same as the drive from Santo Domingo.
They both go through San Francisco de Macor?s.
Now, as the above poster has mentioned, if you decide to go through by the old highway-> Santiago, Moca, Salcedo, Tenares-> San Francisco de Macor?s..well you'll get more typical scenery but the road is iffy....It hasn't really changed all that much in 45 years...

Depends on your time available, I guess. In the 60's I travelled that road a lot, when the bridges were made out of wooden railroad ties....You never, ever knew if you would get where you were headed...but it was fun..

HB :D:D:D:D

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Hillbilly said:
The drive from Santiago to Saman? is the same as the drive from Santo Domingo.
They both go through San Francisco de Macor?s.
Now, as the above poster has mentioned, if you decide to go through by the old highway-> Santiago, Moca, Salcedo, Tenares-> San Francisco de Macor?s..well you'll get more typical scenery but the road is iffy....It hasn't really changed all that much in 45 years...

Depends on your time available, I guess. In the 60's I travelled that road a lot, when the bridges were made out of wooden railroad ties....You never, ever knew if you would get where you were headed...but it was fun..

HB :D:D:D:D

How about going through Santiago, Moca, Salcedo, Tenares through the mountain to Gaspar Hernandez, hang a right onto the North coast highway that goes through Sosua, Nagua and then Samana. I know is long trip and for the mountain drive you need good breaks, horn and an empty stomach, but for sure is very scenic. You'll see people drying cocoa beans next to the roadway.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not specifically about going to Santiago, but my favorite drives in The DR in order of best scenery:

- Barahona to Pedernales coast Higway (Just unbelievable views) - Probably some of the best in the world.
- Moca to Puerto Plata - The road from San Francisco de Macoris through Tenares to Moca sucks, but once you get past Moca I love the mountains and some of the drops where you can't even see the bottom.
- Nagua to Samana - Love to drive next to the ocean with all the coconut trees and then you come into Samana (so lush and green)...Love it.
- Jarabacoa/Constanza/Bonao - Also very nice mountaineous terrain with some waterfalls. The road from Jarabacoa to Constanza is horrible.
- Bani to Azua and beyond - Different feel as the mountains don't have much vegetation, but I still like it. It's got a "The Hills Have Eyes" movie feel to it.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Replies! And caffeinated ramblings

Suarezn: Thanks so much, I don't mind at all. Feel free to add, and describe, more scenic drives!

Stodgord: YIPPEE!!!!!!! Empty stomach here I come..........

Hillbilly: Thanks so much for your wise words; it's always an honor to receive 'em.

Bob: I could never be angy with a Laura Pasani fan, never. And thanks for plugging Constamza, will have to check it out.

---

I am not sure why, but most of my friends who visit for the first time usually have a HATE/LOVE relationship with the roads.

Day #1 - anal and right off the plane - can't bear to look at the scary road and other drivers and horses and burning palm trees in the road, and too control freak to cover their eyes - bitch and whine, bitch and whine.

Later on Day #1 - after a Brugal and noticing that we're still in one piece, they chill out and we start to play the counting game. One person counts Caban-yas, jejeje, and another counts motoconchos with no rear lights.

As early as day #2, and forever more - all I hear is how different that drive was, the thrill, the variety, the scenery, the greenery, the people, the culture of driving.

So, I now have a reputation to maintain as Chief of Picking The Most Awesome Entry Drive Route......

Thanks for your help, my honorary deputies.

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
quick SDQ to Samana question

HI there...I too drive from POP to Samana and have a great time doing it (made it form Las Terrenas to POP airport in 2 3/4 hours no problem)...but have never driven form SDQ to Samana. Do you think I can make it in 4 hours?

Many thanks!

Steve

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We've usually managed to do it in four hours, except for when the road was cut off before Nagua last year.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
suarezn said:
Not specifically about going to Santiago, but my favorite drives in The DR in order of best scenery:

- Barahona to Pedernales coast Higway (Just unbelievable views) - Probably some of the best in the world.
- Moca to Puerto Plata - The road from San Francisco de Macoris through Tenares to Moca sucks, but once you get past Moca I love the mountains and some of the drops where you can't even see the bottom.
- Nagua to Samana - Love to drive next to the ocean with all the coconut trees and then you come into Samana (so lush and green)...Love it.
- Jarabacoa/Constanza/Bonao - Also very nice mountaineous terrain with some waterfalls. The road from Jarabacoa to Constanza is horrible.
- Bani to Azua and beyond - Different feel as the mountains don't have much vegetation, but I still like it. It's got a "The Hills Have Eyes" movie feel to it.

I agree on all theses drives. I would add Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. Similar to Jarabacoa to El Rio (Constanza) in views and road conditions. I think its even more scenic. Would love to hear about other scenic rides. I plan to see every inch of this Island (well, this side of the island)

Buddy

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
4 hours?

shuffine said:
HI there...I too drive from POP to Samana and have a great time doing it (made it form Las Terrenas to POP airport in 2 3/4 hours no problem)...but have never driven form SDQ to Samana. Do you think I can make it in 4 hours?

Many thanks!

Steve

Steve: I suppose that you might, but it is better to be on the safe side, especially if a plane ride is involved. We always budget five hours. That includes 30 minutes of stopping for food and restrooms. And as Chiri said, yu can have a road closed/detour.

Also - I am talking about doing the ride in the day. Once we left the capital at 4:00 p.m. and made it to Samana by 10:00 p.m.. We were lucky dogs and I do not recommend trying the trip with any dark hours involved. Be back by 4:00 I say. And good luck!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Scenic route through Moca to Sabaneta de yasica is a

very scenic route.
We travelled Rte 1 from SD to the turn of for Moca (Hwy 21) then through to Sabaneta de Yasica before turning toward Cabarete and Sosua.
The ride was gorgeous and the road good except for the first 4 kms after the turn off from the autopista (Rte1) to Moco which has been washed out and on the day we travelled had been thoroughly soaked by a full night of rain so was a mud puddle with humongous potholes. Once back on solid pavement the road was good with only a few rough spots and no washouts with the exception of one bridge that is under repair and really wasn't a problem at all (much better than hwy 25).

We also had the option of going to Gasper Hernandez rather than Sabaneta de Yasica however since this was the first time we'd taken this route and Gasper Hernandez is farther from Sosua (where we were headed) than Sabaneta de Yasica we chose the SY route.

The mountain views were stupendous and there is a spot high in the mountain where one can stop at a restaurant for washrooms and something to eat or drink (which we did.....watch my blog for pictures coming soon!).

If you decide to take this route try to have time to stop in Pata de Gallina for a quick tour of the new winery - Duque de Montesol.

mrbillishere

Feb 26, 2007
The mountain views were stupendous and there is a spot high in the mountain where one can stop at a restaurant for washrooms and something to eat or drink (which we did.....watch my blog for pictures coming soon!).

If you decide to take this route try to have time to stop in Pata de Gallina for a quick tour of the new winery - Duque de Montesol.

Just in case anyone else comes across this thread, I thought I'd mention that the location of the winery is very, very close to Sabaneta de Yasica. Pata de Gallina is about the second or third tiny village along Rt 21 as you drive South from Sabaneta de Yasica. If I'm not mistaken, it's the one that has the large river on it's Southern border. So if you get to that river, you've missed the winery. Indeed, I missed it the first time I went driving along 21, but found it the next time. Too bad they were closed due to it being Easter Week, I would have liked to check it out.

One other point to note, I timed it and the drive along Rt 21 through the mountains from the turn-off in Moca to Sabaneta de Yasica took me one hour in good weather. Again, due to it being Easter Week I traveled along at a fast pace (set by the myriad Dominicans trying all to reach the beach), so I estimate that if I'd been taking my time, it would have taken oh say 90 minutes.