presidente in montreal

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
I'm going to Montreal for the weekend and I know there are a lot of Dominicanos there. Does anyone know if they sell Presidente Beer?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
No se vende Presidente en Montreal

I have yet to drink Presidente in Montreal. Not even in Dominican clubs or restaurants. Sorry, you will have to settle for Corona.

LDG.

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
thanks

Thank you for the quick response, I didn't think so but I thought I would ask anyway

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
windeguy said:
If you have to settle for a Corona, I would suggest Labatt's Blue, but you probably already drink that if you are from Montreal. To me and my wife who is a native to the DR where we now both live, Blue is a much better alternative that we both had on a recent trip to the great white north...

Really? I find that funny - "Blue" is like the "Old Milwaukee" or "Pabst Blue Ribbon" of the US - cheap and only bought if you feel like slumming. I am glad you enjoyed it, though. I'll have to try it someday again (haven't tried it in years) and see if I can taste the similarity. It might take me three beers or so to think I am drinking Presidente!

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Blue Cheap?

Hi Trina.

I don't know where you live, but in Ontario Blue is sold at the same inflated price as the other major brands. It's not one of the "bargain brands", like Lucky or Laker.

Tom

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Alberta. I don't know anyone who drinks Blue out here because it's regarded as cheap - you wouldn't ever show up at someone's house with a case of Blue - they would think you didn't have enough money for "real beer". ;) I was a bartender while going to college, and Blue would go bad before it was sold. I haven't ever bought Blue in the Liquor store, so I wouldn't know the actual cost.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
From a former bartender in Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver:

Labatt blue is to Canada what Foster's is to Oz -- something the tourists drink. While it's actually a decent brew, it's the default choice of people who don't live in the area and therefore don't know what beer to order.

By the way, if you're in montreal, try the McAuslin beers (locally brewed): Griffin, St. Ambroise etc.

Cheers!

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
opinions vary

trina said:
Alberta. I don't know anyone who drinks Blue out here because it's regarded as cheap - you wouldn't ever show up at someone's house with a case of Blue - they would think you didn't have enough money for "real beer". ;) I was a bartender while going to college, and Blue would go bad before it was sold. I haven't ever bought Blue in the Liquor store, so I wouldn't know the actual cost.

Off topic but, what is the beer of choice in Alberta and what is the cost for a case.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bertgilbert said:
Off topic but, what is the beer of choice in Alberta and what is the cost for a case.

That's a very tough one. Calgary has become a melting pot of Canadians over the last 15-20 years, growing by about 400,000 since I moved here in 1989. With the onslaught Easterners (Atlantic Coast), Alexander Keith's is very popular...it's actually my favorite beer. We have a lot of British Columbians as well, so Kokanee is a local favorite. The StubbleJumpers (Saskatchewanites) like Pilsner. Big Rock Breweries is in Calgary, so all Big Rock beers are very popular, especially draft. Molson Canadian seems to be a beer of choice, as well. As for the average cost of a case of beer.?. About $26.00, I believe, but again, it's been a while. We're a little lucky in Alberta because we have no Provincial Sales Tax on purchases.

Oh, and to put a Dominican spin on it, the Dominicans I know think Kokanee and Pilsner taste like Presidente the most. They also drink a lot of Heineken (sp?).

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
trina said:
That's a very tough one. Calgary has become a melting pot of Canadians over the last 15-20 years, growing by about 400,000 since I moved here in 1989. With the onslaught Easterners (Atlantic Coast), Alexander Keith's is very popular...it's actually my favorite beer. We have a lot of British Columbians as well, so Kokanee is a local favorite. The StubbleJumpers (Saskatchewanites) like Pilsner. Big Rock Breweries is in Calgary, so all Big Rock beers are very popular, especially draft. Molson Canadian seems to be a beer of choice, as well. As for the average cost of a case of beer.?. About $26.00, I believe, but again, it's been a while. We're a little lucky in Alberta because we have no Provincial Sales Tax on purchases.

Oh, and to put a Dominican spin on it, the Dominicans I know think Kokanee and Pilsner taste like Presidente the most. They also drink a lot of Heineken (sp?).
Was just curious why bringing a case of blue somewhere poeple would think it was cheap beer, Molson Canadian, Keith's are all the same price as blue. Heineken is a little bit more, probably because it is imported.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bertgilbert said:
Was just curious why bringing a case of blue somewhere poeple would think it was cheap beer, Molson Canadian, Keith's are all the same price as blue. Heineken is a little bit more, probably because it is imported.

Since a good way to get a thread closed is by harping on non-DR issues, and I've partaken in this thread, I won't respond further than to state: my opinion is that it looks "cheap" to bring a case of Blue, because it's thought of as an inferior beer around my area. It could be very different in other parts of Canada (I can think of a few "parts" it's very popular in, but don't want to sound like I'm making a racist statement, so I'll bite my tongue). My opinion does not mean it's fact, as is true with everyone else's opinion. I'm very sorry if I've offended you in any way. Take my opinion fwiw to you. BTW, Keith's is also more expensive than Blue out here, as is Big Rock, and as you mentioned, Heinekken. Pilsner is often found cheaper than Blue, but it somehow isn't looked upon the same - it's just assumed you're from Saskatchewan :classic: (not a bad thing) or Lethbridge (where it was? or is still brewed). I think I need a beer. :bandit:

Last edited:

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
not offended

trina said:
Since a good way to get a thread closed is by harping on non-DR issues, and I've partaken in this thread, I won't respond further than to state: my opinion is that it looks "cheap" to bring a case of Blue, because it's thought of as an inferior beer around my area. It could be very different in other parts of Canada (I can think of a few "parts" it's very popular in, but don't want to sound like I'm making a racist statement, so I'll bite my tongue). My opinion does not mean it's fact, as is true with everyone else's opinion. I'm very sorry if I've offended you in any way. Take my opinion fwiw to you. BTW, Keith's is also more expensive than Blue out here, as is Big Rock, and as you mentioned, Heinekken. Pilsner is often found cheaper than Blue, but it somehow isn't looked upon the same - it's just assumed you're from Saskatchewan :classic: (not a bad thing) or Lethbridge (where it was? or is still brewed). I think I need a beer. :bandit:

Like I said earlier, all I wanted to know is, why "you" were considering Blue as cheap beer, that's all. Why would I be offended by your opinions, opinions are just that, everybody has different opinions and that' what makes the world go round. And by the way, I drink Keith's. Now they can close this thread. Sorry if I have offended you with my opinions.