More Non-Stop Flights And Tourism

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
-- The startup this month of low-cost flights by Spirit Air from Fort Lauderdale to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, and of new flights there from Houston by Continental Airlines, means that the Dominican Republic is now the destination for a torrent of air services from the United States -- a reaction to low prices at its hotel resorts.

I recently checked the availability of a double room at the near-deluxe, beachfront, 330-room Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace in La Romana for the seven-day, high-season period from March 8 to March 15. The price was $255 per day for my wife and me (about $128 per person) -- not simply for the room, but three meals and unlimited drinks daily, as well as free fruit and drinks brought to your chaise lounge at the beach or pool. There's no comparable destination, short of faraway Thailand, with charges that low. Call (800) 996-3426 or log on to www.wyndham.com for more information.

I read the above in the San Francisco Cronicle and It got me asking the following questions:

Is the number non-stop flights recently announced by US airlines like Spirit, Continental, United Airlines, unpresidented in the D.R.?

Tourism wised, what will it translate to?