First Post

fitnessguy

Jan 27, 2006
Hello to all. This is my first post to this site. I read articles most of the time but have finally decided to join. Anyway I was wondering if any knew any information on opening a fitness center in DR. I've been trying to do research to see if there is a market for that, but to be quite honest I can't find anything. If anyone has any information I'd appreciate it.
Information can be on the following:

Best or good location
Any rules or laws on opening a fitness center
Which towns need fitness centers the most

OR anything else you might want to share. Thanks!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There is lots of competition

You should come down and check out the competition. I can speak for the areas in the proximity of where I live in Santo Domingo. The big players are:

Gold Gym (Evaristo Morales neighborhood)
Body Shop (Naco neighborhood -- they have a 25 meter swimming pool)
Body Health (27 de Febrero)
Santa Fe (Av. Charles Sumner)

Most neighborhoods have their exercise shops. In my neighborhood there are two very good pilates centers, two excellent yoga centers, and many more places with variations on exercise classes. My husband and I take classes with a former ballet teacher who does a combination of ballet exercises, yoga, strength (weight) training and dance.

In other areas of the city there will be other large gyms, so there is much competition. But, it appears to be a neighborhood-oriented business, with most people coming from nearby places.

You need to come down and do your homework.

I would think outside of Santo Domingo, the towns are underserved, when speaking of top notch gym facilities, but I doubt the residents are willing to pay top notch prices. Maybe something could be developed in La Romana and Punta Cana areas, but the question to ask is whether people will be willing to pay enough.

Last edited:

fitnessguy

Jan 27, 2006
Dolores said:
You should come down and check out the competition. I can speak for the areas in the proximity of where I live in Santo Domingo. The big players are:

Gold Gym (Evaristo Morales neighborhood)
Body Shop (Naco neighborhood -- they have a 25 meter swimming pool)
Body Health (27 de Febrero)
Santa Fe (Av. Charles Sumner)

Most neighborhoods have their exercise shops. In my neighborhood there are two very good pilates centers, two excellent yoga centers, and many more places with variations on exercise classes. My husband and I take classes with a former ballet teacher who does a combination of ballet exercises, yoga, strength (weight) training and dance.

In other areas of the city there will be other large gyms, so there is much competition. But, it appears to be a neighborhood-oriented business, with most people coming from nearby places.

You need to come down and do your homework.

I would think outside of Santo Domingo, the towns are underserved, when speaking of top notch gym facilities, but I doubt the residents are willing to pay top notch prices. Maybe something could be developed in La Romana and Punta Cana areas, but the question to ask is whether people will be willing to pay enough.

Thanks that's very good to know. I'll actually be in Punta Cana this May. My wife's family is from Boca Chica and I've been there, but didn't see any where that a fitness center might be of use or like you said: "where people might be willing to pay". I'll have to book another trip to check it out and do my homework, but I really appreciate your help.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There is one in Boca Chica and another in Coquito 10 minute stroll from Boca Chica.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
On the north coast, there are already gyms in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
There is a CURVES in Santo Domingo and Santiago, but none in Puerto Plata. Why not start a franchise there?