La pel?cula 'el Cantante'- Homenaje a H?ctor Lavoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I just read two articles in el Nuevo Herald about this film El cantante that is a tribute to a legendary salsero and one of my favorites from that era, H?ctor Lavoe. The principal actors in the film are: Ismael Miranda, who was a very good friend of H?ctor Lavoe and Marc Anthony.

Miranda- "Estoy bien emocionado porque no solamente tuve la oportunidad de compartir con H?ctor toda la vida, H?ctor fue uno de mis mejores amigos... que me llamaran y me dieran la oportunidad de estar aqu?, en la pel?cula, es un gran honor", afirm?.

I doubt the film will play in my area once completed however, I think it’s a wonderful tribute to one of best salsa artists of that era and one who had a legendary career with so many hits IMO a repertoire of salsas that are definitely difficult to challenge.

H?ctor was one of the legendary Fania all stars, a group that truly started the 'salsa era' in NY and elsewhere. H?ctor was renowned for his career alongside Willie Col?n, salsero and trombonista. As a duo these two Puertorican salseros were incomparable. I have a complete collection of H?ctor and Willie’s music to remind me of that style of salsa music that I will forever cherish.

Those of you who are also fans of H?ctor Lavoe will surely agree that his music is incomparable. IMO there is no sonero today who can match Lavoe, that’s probably why salsa has practically reached a standstill over the last decade except for the contributions of some really good Colombian groups over the years. Cuban musicians have always held their own and certainly represent a different genre of salsa.

El cantante is currently being filmed in PR and after that it will probably be available on DVD. Some of my favorite songs by Lavoe are: "Pira?a", "Calle Luna, Calle Sol", "La Murga", "D?a de suerte", "El cantante", "Rompe sarag?ey", and "Triste y vac?a".

One aspect I admire about Puertoricans is the respect they have for their legendary artists and H?ctor Lavoe is one of them. I will never forget some great moments I have enjoyed in San Juan, PR when music was played by legends like H?ctor Lavoe and Wille Col?n… the dance floor was always full.

I truly hope El cantante turns out to be a good Spanish film.

Here are the links to the articles of the film and Lavoe.

I. Miranda

Lavoe

LDG.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Lesley D, I too share your love for the salsa of that era, and frankly today's salsa is a pale facsimile of the original. Though I do admire Marc Antony in some ways (I think he is a good actor and has a distinctive voice), his range is much more circumscribed (basically his shtick is to take a bolero and then move from that into a salsa), and he is no pregonero. In fact, I once read a story about how today's salseros were consulting with yesterday's giants in order to write down suitable pregones -- now if you understand salsa properly, then you know that the improvisational lyrics dreamed up by the singer, which are not part of the original lyrics (often written in turn by the Great Master T. Curet Alonso), were an important part of his prowess as a salsa singer. Today's salsa by comparison is all scripted and the themes are adulterated.

However, while I too admire Hector Lavoe, I think there were much better singers from that era, particularly Ismael Rivera, who is a giant too in so many ways. And while the Lavoe/Colon team was incredible, and one of the main impulses behind the creation of salsa (the others being Eddie Palmieri from the the Bronx, and Johnny Pacheco/El Conde), I actually favor the subsequent team of Blades and Colon. Ruben Blades is never given enough credit I think for his remarkable contribution to the genre, both as a singer/pregonero (his improvisations are even better than those of Lavoe) and as a song writer -- think of all the classics he wrote, and the marvelous addition of storytelling to the genre that he developed (Paula C, Juan Pachanga, Pedro Navaja, Pablo Pueblo, etc etc). Just listen to his heart rending singing on Lluvia de tu Cielo, and you know you are dealing with one of the very greatest of salseros. Lavoe's strength lay elsewhere, and his pregones were generally weak -- check out the great song, Periodico de Ayer, lyrics again by Curet Alonso: this theme would give you a great platform for improvisation but Lavoe never takes off. I think Lavoe's best stuff was the earliest, those titles that you yourself ticked off. Those are amazing songs.

Btw, the thing that made the Colon/Lavoe team so great was not their musicianship -- if you listen to their earliest efforts, particularly the songs of El Malo, the musicianship is very weak, particularly in comparison with the work of people like Eddie Palmieri. Course, they learned and improved quickly, under Johnny Pacheco's tutelage, but the thing about this team was the incredible force of character behind the music, the ideas, the rawness (after all that slick mambo) -- the spirit. And Lavoe, in some ways to his eventual dismay, personified this spirit, lived it, and died by it.

A great website for all things Salsa (and latin music in general) is descarga.com, which gives reviews of albums, interviews, a glossary, links, and so on. There is also a very good book, now outin a new edition, that covers the history of salsa, how it differs from mambo, etc:
El Libro De La Salsa:
Cronica De La M?sica Del Caribe Urbano
by Cesar Miguel Rondon

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Macocael...

First of all thank you for your kind and inspiring reply. Your knowledge of salsa, one my favorite genres is refreshing and impressive. However, this I knew from your posts about music in another thread.

While I agree with most of your points, I think opinions differ just like music and that's the spice of life. I will not refute them because they are your opinions however, it gives me a different angle to consider when thinking about salsa from this era. For example you like the Blades/ Col?n combo better whereas I am a die hard fan of the Lavoe/ Col?n duo. Nevertheless all were and still are big contributors to 'la salsa vieja' and this should not go unrecognized. In my opening post I did not want to get into too much detail about salsa because my post was really to praise the making of the film because I think Lavoe is a salsa legend and so are all the others we both mentioned such as Willie Col?n, Ruben Blades, Eddie Palmieri (absolutely! The piano man of salsa with his legendary hit "V?monos p'al monte"), Ismael Rivera (I completely agree) and the list can certainly be extended.

I agree with you that the voices of salsa today don't hold a candle to those who are part of 'la salsa vieja' era and it is a combination of many weaknesses ranging from lyrics to musical ability. While Marc Anthony is one of the better salsa artists today he is not a pillar salsero IMO because he lacks creativity and uniqueness. As you clearly stated he takes boleros and transforms them into salsa. The best example of this is his big hit "Hasta que te conoc?". I am sure many believe that it is a Marc Anthony original and it's not. It's a remake of a bolero transformed into salsa and Marc Anthony did a wonderful rendition of the salsa version thus putting his career on the map. I like Marc Anthony but he's what I call a soft salsero and should never be compared to the likes of Col?n, Lavoe, Rivera, Blades etc. In my opinion his best albums are Todo a su tiempo and Contra la corriente. Both albums reveal Marc Anthony's talent and why he will remain in the forefront in today's salsa world.

As an actor I really can't say that I have seen him act but as a Puertorican I am sure it's an honor for him to be chosen to be in a film about a legendary salsa artist. I just hope it turns out to be a good movie. The potential is there. On this note I must go....y hoy te dedico mis mejores pregones.

All for now.

(I will review the website you referenced. Gracias)

LDG.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Gracias por dedicarme tus mejores pregones!! actually justafter I wrote my statement comparing Blades and Lavoe, I felt like retracting it or at least modifying. I shouldnt say one is better, because each had their individual contribution, equally valid, so I would simply say that Lavoe has always had a huge following for charismatic reasons, he is salsa's poete maudite, while Blades is a more sober restrainted sort, so I always feel that I have to remind people that his collaboration with Willie Colon was as significant. I cannot honestly say I do like his work "better" in the usual sense, since I listen to both equally, but there are qualities there which I think exemplify the best aspects of salsa, one of which is the use of pregones. Plus he is a great story teller music wise.

But then, let's hear it for T. Curet Alonso while we are at it. Marvelous!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
"El Flaco"

My introduction to salsa started the moment I heard a very skinny guy, named Hector Lavoe, sing a salsa song. From that moment on, I was addicted to not only salsa, but also to anything that Hector sang.

I listened to EVERYTHING he recorded. The man had a voice and a half.

Whenever he was appearing at the Old Teatro Rio Piedras, Casa Borinquen and Casa Broadway in Brooklyn, Miguel was there. I was a very young back then but to me, Lavoe was more than a singer, he was a artist.

I didn't even cared if he was late most of time. It was more than worth it.

Up to this date, IMO, there WILL NEVER be another Lavoe. The man not only could sing great salsa, he was also great when singing "jibarito" misic and ballads.

Who can forget when he sang balads like: "Comedia" or "Sombras nada mas" or "Emborrachame de amor" or those great salsa: "Songoro consongo" or "El Todopoderoso" or "Hacha Y machete" or "Mi gente" or " Todo tiene su final" or "Te estan buscando" or "La murga" or "Calle luna, calle sol", amongst many, many other great ones.

Even though Willie Colon and he had a very rocky relationship towards the end, Colon knew that he was dealing with a person that even though had a lot of demons, the man was full of talent.

I remember the day he died. It was like if I had lost a member of my family. I was not afraid to let a few tears drop because the man had given me so much happiness. It feels like it was yesterday.

To me, Hector Lavoe was and will always be, the number one salsa singer of all times.

I HAVE TO listen to Hector when I am listening my favorite genre. If I don't, I feel empty!.

ARRIBA Hector!.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
La salsa sin Lavoe...

Macocael: I think you are absolutely correct. Lavoe was 'charismatic' per se most likely on and off stage and that definitely made up for his gaps specific to your comment about "Peri?dico de ayer". However, my opinion is that, that aspect was so minimal compared to his other talents. He certainly had a unique combination of music skills and passion which all soneros need in order to be successful.

As for Ruben Blades his career has always been dwarfed by other giants like Col?n, Lavoe, Miranda etc IMO. Although the talent is there and Pedro Navaja is proof positive of the talent of Blades I agree with you 100% + that he was never recognized for it. I personally am not a Ruben Blades fan. I love Pedro Navaja which I will always remember him for and as well a duet with Willie Col?n called "Talento de televisi?n". Play that salsa at any party and see the reaction. That has to be one the best salsas I have heard that combines a fusion of rhythms. Every time I hear it the genre is clearly salsa but with strong hints of charanga and some other Caribbean rhythms.

Before Lavoe passed away he had an unfinished album called Soy la voz which was completed by another artist- Van Lester who I think did a fine job and the album is very good IMO. If Lavoe had completed it I think it would have given way to a new style that Lavoe would have contributed to the salsa world but I guess it was not meant to be.

In my opinion H?ctor Lavoe is "el cantante de los cantantes" and only few will walk the same path as Lavoe. Many of the names have already been mentioned in this thread.

Miguel: Finally you participate in one of my threads again. Thanks for your input. I know you enjoy salsa and your good taste does not surprise me.Your post evidences that you have the same respect for Lavoe that Macocael and I do and for salsa in general. I think your post is a nice tribute to Lavoe and I could not have said it better myself.

Everything about Lavoe reminds me of Puerto Rico. Some of the songs you named are my favorites as well, in fact let's just list his whole repertoire when I come to think of it. He certainly has a hall of fame collection. I just want to add Juanita Alima?a and La Banda to an already awesome list of songs. H?ctor Lavoe is one of my musical inspirations when it comes to salsa.

?Arriba H?ctor, Borinquen, la isla del encanto!...

LDG.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sure!

Lesley D said:
Miguel: Finally you participate in one of my threads again. Thanks for your input. I know you enjoy salsa and your good taste does not surprise me.Your post evidences that you have the same respect for Lavoe that Macoael and I do and for salsa in general. I think your post is a nice tribute to Lavoe and I could not have said it better myself.

Everything about Lavoe reminds me of Puerto Rico. Some of the songs you named are my favorites as well, in fact let's just list his whole repertoire when I come to think of it. He certainly has a hall of fame collection. I just want to add Juanita Alima?a and La Banda to an already awesome list of songs. H?ctor Lavoe is one of my musical inspirations when it comes to salsa.

?Arriba H?ctor, Borinquen, la isla del encanto!...

LDG.
I am very passionate about "my music". I basically like all types of music (well, except for bachatas from bachateros and rap). One day I can listen to Bach's "Konszert fur violine, Streicher u. Basso continuo E-dur" and Mantovani's "Cavatina" and Joan Baez's "Play me backwards" and Pavaroti's "Amor ti vieta" and Cat Stevens' "On the road to find out" and in between them, I have to listen to some Salsas.

There are many, many salsa singers that I believe are great but none are even close to Hector. I mean, there a so many talents and just to know that, in my book, the man was on a class by himself.

Oh, those late '70's. Oh, those early '80's. I don't think that there is a TRUE salsa lover that can not remember El Gran Combo (still alive and well and making hits) and Andy Montanez Con La Dimension Latina and La Sonora Poncena and Ismael Miranda and Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez and Ruben Blades' "plastico" and Willie Colon's "Gitana" and all those Celia Cruz's hits with that great Dominican "maestro", Johnny Pacheco and Cheo Feliciano and Tito Nieves and many, many others.

I was so lucky to see all these people perform live. I was in my teens and I remember my aunt and sister putting "lifts" in my shoes in order to be able to go inside the clubs. I remember that when that did not work, I used to pay an adult to let me go in with them. Man, those were fun times.

To make this thread a little bit Dominican, I must say that my all-time salsa singer from the DR, hands down, it's no other than Henry Garcia. What a voice on that guy. Amazing!. What a shame that he was not "grabbed" by a Willie Colon and wasted to many years playing second bananas to Cuco Valoy.

Do you guys remember when Lavoe tried to kill himself after finding out that he was sick?.

Btw, to this day, I can not listen to Lavoe's last recording. There are instances, on that cd, that he and the other members are talking and making jokes and I just could not take it when he, in the middle of laughling, he would start to cough very heavily. To me, it represented the beginning of the end.

Many still believe that he used to do drugs for the heck of it. Not many know of the demons that he was fighting from an early age. Starting with his father dishonoring (?) him after he said that he wanted to leave Puerto Rico to go to NY.

Btw, since we are "talking" about Hector, I am listening to one of his Cd's. Nothing better than listening to the ballads: "Un amor de la calle" and "De ti depende" and the salsas: "Mi gente" and "Pirana" and "Triste y vacia" and "La murga" and his jibarito song dedicated to Chuito "Que bien te ves".

Like he would say in one one his songs, "Pirana", which I think is so funny:

"Que lo que pasa que el piso no arranca. Mujer sin grasa, sin tranmision, sin gasolina, sin aceite y sin motor. Esta ma' enjuananga, vendito. Para que sufra"....

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Miguel

All I can say to you is "que viva Lavoe". You definitely enjoy his music as much as I do and I can see that you consider him an inspiration. We are on the same page.

You mentioned DR related. Well I started the discussion because the Spanish forum is rich in language related threads, vocabulary, grammar etc but it's important to have some cultural aspects too. Having said that Spanish is not only a language spoken in the DR and Latin America but when discussing Spanish cultural components such as food, music, dance, literature, art etc. all tie in.

This is a Spanish film that has the potential to be a good tribute to a renowned artist therefore I wanted to give it some exposure and also add some 'sabor' to the forum. BTW I am adding this piece just as a general comment (not directed at you) to ensure that the discussion stays on course. I would like comments about the film, Lavoe and salsa only.

No quiero tener una discusi?n sobre los otros g?neros sobre todo la bachata.

LDG.
.... y para qu? leer un peri?dico de ayer.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Got it!

Lesley D said:
All I can say to you is "que viva Lavoe". You definitely enjoy his music as much as I do and I can see that you consider him an inspiration. We are on the same page.

You mentioned DR related. Well I started the discussion because the Spanish forum is rich in language related threads, vocabulary, grammar etc but it's important to have some cultural aspects too. Having said that Spanish is not only a language spoken in the DR and Latin America but when discussing Spanish cultural components such as food, music, dance, literature, art etc. all tie in.

This is a Spanish film that has the potential to be a good tribute to a renowned artist therefore I wanted to give it some exposure and also add some 'sabor' to the forum. BTW I am adding this piece just as a general comment (not directed at you) to ensure that the discussion stays on course. I would like comments about the film, Lavoe and salsa only.

No quiero tener una discusi?n sobre los otros g?neros sobre todo la bachata.

LDG.
.... y para qu? leer un peri?dico de ayer.
I hear you.

The only thing that worries me about this movie is that Jennifer Lopez is in it. I say this because it seems that every single time she is involved with the main character in real life, the movie goes straight down the toilet.

If many people would just just pass her and if the writers did their work 110%, a whole new generation will see the life and works of a true salsa genius. I also hope that they are sensitive when "explaining" the demons that he had to fight that let him to the horrible drug abuse path.

Also, I hope that Marc Anthony do a good job. The only thing that they have in common is the fact that he is very skinny. Other than that, Marc does not have the charisma or the personality that Hector had.

I must ask you, did you write that after the movie ends it filming in Puerto Rico, that the movie will me released to DVD?. You mean straight to DVD?.

If you did, I really do believe that it will be release to theaters first. Marc Anthony has been wanting to play Lavoe for a very long time and I don't think that he would make a movie about one of his idols to just have it go straight to DVD. Besides, it does not look good for the "Diva's"(Lopez) career.

Also, I know that they were filming in NYC, I guess that maybe they will finish filming it in PR.

Btw, my only reference to "being DR related" was because you know how sensitive "the boss" is when it comes to topics not related to the DR, even in this forum.

Ps: I wonder who will play Celia... AZUCAR!.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Miguel...

I am glad you asked about the completion of the film and my point about it being on DVD. After I read what I wrote I figured it may be ambiguous. Just to clarify what I meant was it would be in theatres and then eventually on DVD (I suppose) as is the fate of most films. Realistically that's the only way I would probably see it or I would have to be in PR, DR or NYC. There's no doubt in my mind that the film will be shown in those places that I listed. Last night I was reading one of the PR newspapers to get more details about the movie but they did not give a release date. I will keep following up though.

I agree with you regarding J. Lo. Let's hope that she plays a minor role. I am hoping the film would be more of a documentary than a movie. What I mean is once they portray the important aspects of Lavoe's life and his desire to go to NYC etc once there I am hoping the film will be an expos? of music more than anything else. That way if the actors- Miranda, M. Anthony and J Lo are not up to standard it will not take away from the memory of Lavoe's music and his contribution to salsa.

Overall, I would like to see more Spanish films produced about historical Latin music because it's an area that's so culture rich. Salsa which is a genre that has so many branches, more films and documentaries would be a wonderful tribute to the essence of Latin music as a whole and not to mention it would give those who are unaware a better understanding of salsa music. It is definitely not an overnight genre by any stretch of the imagination and so many other rhythms have been fusioned with salsa to create authentic Latin rhythms. ie. guaracha and guaguanc? which are both branches of Cuban son/salsa.

LDG.

Edited to add this link from a PR newspaper about the film that I just read. There are actually two movies being produced. The release of the Miranda, M. Anthony & J Lo film is scheduled for October.

El cantante

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Gracias!

Lesley D said:
Edited to add this link from a PR newspaper about the film that I just read. There are actually two movies being produced. The release of the Miranda, M. Anthony & J Lo film is scheduled for October.

El cantante
Thanks for the link. I did not know that 2 movies about Lavoe were being filmed. The more the better as long as they do the man justice!.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well i am going to revive this thread for just a moment to ask if there is any further news about the film and whether J Lo disappoints or turns in a real performance. I am no fan of hers -- not by a long shot, sheesh who told her she could sing!? -- but there have been one or two roles where she showed some promise, and I always hope to see her stop being a "star" and turn into a real actress. What I fear is that being coupled with Mark Antony in this venture, the producers will try to play off their "romance" and divert the film from its true subject, Lavoe. As a singer, I agree Miguel that Antony is no Lavoe, but as an actor I think he might pull it off.

Btw, Miguel, never got a chance to respond to your wonderful and enthusiastic comments. I am with you all the way. If you are ever in town (S.D.) and want to share salsa stories music or whatever, just get in touch. I have a big collection.

Lesley, I got out all my Ruben Blades music after this and reviewed them, which confirmed me in my opinion of his particular genius. I was especially pleased to listen again to his work with Seis Del Solar, from the 80s -- when all the "ni?os bonitos" were turning salsa into love mush, he continued to provide thoughtful commentary on everyday life. So I have a gift for you, if and when you should make it back to the capital: a CD with a selection of the kind of Salsa stories of ordinary people and their tragedies that Ruben made his own genre --- and you will be pleased to know that there are several Lavoe hits in the same vein on there, notably his early "Chongui"from El Malo. It is waiting for you whenever you want it (or I can mail it.)

PS I have begun to think that Ruben got the idea for telling stories via salsa from none other than Lavoe and Colon. Chongui would be the first of these, but there is also El Dia de la Suerte and others in this vein that would certainly have impressed Blades.

there is a nice little article on Colon and Blades here: http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/archives/Profile16?7uwEZ7Tb;;2064
From Descarga.com. Plus there is a good two part interview with Blades about all kind of things. Smart and insightful. here is part one:
http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/archives/Interview6?7uwEZ7Tb;;1926

It turns out that the song "El Cantante," which Lavoe made so famous, was in fact Ruben's who gave it to Lavoe to record.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Macocael-

I have not heard anything more on the film but then again I have not followed up since my last post. In the link it does say that the Mark A & J. Lo version will be released in October of this year. If you read the article there will be two Lavoe films.

I did the same after talking about the film I pulled out my Lavoe collection and I am firm. Lavoe/ Col?n are still awesome for me. As well I reacquainted myself with one of Col?n's last good albums called Demasiado coraz?n released in 2000 because after that his music took a down turn. It's a great album if you come across it especially one cumbia that he added on that album. Again Col?n's ability to fusion different tropical beats is outstanding.

I trust your taste regarding Rub?n Blades and since I have not listened to much of his work a collection like what you are offering me would be superb. I don't envision myself being in SD until later on in the year Oct/ Nov so not until then. If my plans change then I will PM you with an alternative method for delivery.

I will review the links. Thanks.

Te agradezco de antemano y muchos saludos,

-LDG.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
No problem Lesley I can mail it to you the next time I go to EPS to send out stuff. PM me. I promiseyou, you will like the CD. Have you ever heard Chongui? It is raw, but it will surprise you.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chongui...

No, does not ring a bell. But with salsa I am open to anything. At least sampling the music before I say "oui" or "no". Usually the more raw the better and that holds true for all genres.

-LDG

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You got it!

macocael said:
Btw, Miguel, never got a chance to respond to your wonderful and enthusiastic comments. I am with you all the way. If you are ever in town (S.D.) and want to share salsa stories music or whatever, just get in touch. I have a big collection.
Man, be careful what you say, I may take you up on it!!.

I will be in the DR, in La Romana, on April 9th but will be in SD from the 13th on for a few days. That said:

Better start "shinning" that collection. Any old salsa will do, from Ruben, El gran Combo, Andy Montanez, Willie Colon, Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez, Celia Cruz, Nino Segarra, Frankie Ruiz, Raulin Rosendo, Henry Garcia, Tito Nieves, Tito Rojas, Cheo Feliciano, El Canario, La Dimension Latina, Orquesta Broadway, Oscar D'Leon, La Selecta to my favorite, Lavoe.

Be careful what you "wish" for, lol.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Bring it on Miguel! Anyway, it is never a mistake to make friends. I fear you will find that everything I have is already in your collection but I may have a couple tunes that you are not aware of and are worth adding. We shall see. Do you have Prueba Candela? Rey Reyes's El Borojol? and I didnt see Raphy Leavitt on your list, but i assume you have that stuff, right? Larry Harlow? ROberto Roena? El Combo Del Ayer? RIchie Ray? Ray Barretto (who died last week)? Ismael Miranda? Maelo? Charlie (not just Eddie) Palmieri? Angel Canales? Zaperoko? Justo Betancourt? And then we go bck to the 50s: Chappottin, Arsenio, Benny Mor?, the two Titos, and all the others in back of salsa? The list is endless.

PS I have no Henry Garcia, am interested in exploring that.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen!

macocael said:
Bring it on Miguel! Anyway, it is never a mistake to make friends. I fear you will find that everything I have is already in your collection but I may have a couple tunes that you are not aware of and are worth adding. We shall see. Do you have Prueba Candela? Rey Reyes's El Borojol? and I didnt see Raphy Leavitt on your list, but i assume you have that stuff, right? Larry Harlow? ROberto Roena? El Combo Del Ayer? RIchie Ray? Ray Barretto (who died last week)? Ismael Miranda? Maelo? Charlie (not just Eddie) Palmieri? Angel Canales? Zaperoko? Justo Betancourt? And then we go bck to the 50s: Chappottin, Arsenio, Benny Mor?, the two Titos, and all the others in back of salsa? The list is endless.

PS I have no Henry Garcia, am interested in exploring that.
Ok, this is Lesley's thread and she made me aware that the topic was about Hector Lavoe(I think so, but I can be wrong), therefore, and if you don't mind, I will start a new thread so we can "talk" salsa in general, with some Dominican flavor in it.

Deal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.