The Paintings sold in Sosua

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What price should one pay for the paintings being sold in Sosua at the beach, at the shops, just about everywhere you go.

I wanted to purchase one that is about 12 inches by 15 inches. The original price quote was 1500 RD$, which I thought was insane. By the time I walked away the price had dropped to 500 RD$. Even at that price I still felt that I might be paying too much.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,what should one pay_

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is no set price. The best price you can bargain for. Don't hesitate to walk away. And most of those paintings are sold by at least several different shops on the beach.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ken said:
There is no set price. The best price you can bargain for. Don't hesitate to walk away. And most of those paintings are sold by at least several different shops on the beach.

Thanks..........

I found that out real quick. The one painting started out at $1500 RD is now down to 2 paintings for $600 RD.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005

When my brother was here last winter there was one of the Big Ones about 24 x 36 Started at 3000 and we got him to 900 .My brother said he had only 700 cash and wanted a wooden snake as well or we stroll......... He took it .......

As a resident , we wanted to do a room in Caoba and tipico . We bought 1 Big one (Like above) and 2 Of the 12 x 24 High, and 2 Small 12 x 12,s All included we paid 1100 . They are really nice

The fun and memories are in the bargain . Cant remember what the painting looked like !

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
OK, here's how I bought an extraordinarily artistic Haitian painting. It was in one of those small galleries behind Mercado Modelo, in a place called 'Little Haiti' in the capital city. I was told that the price of the painting was 6.000 pesos take-it-or-leave-it. I wanted the painting badly, but I only had about 2.000 pesos in my wallet. So I sat down in front of the gallery and stopped a local Haitian. I described to him my predicament, and told him that I could not pay more than 900 pesos for the painting, and that I was willing to pay him 100 pesos for his services if he purchased it for me. I gave him a 1000 pesos bill, and what a surprise, less than five minutes later he approached with the painting in hand.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
A nice Haitian Story! BRAVO!

Mirador said:
OK, here's how I bought an extraordinarily artistic Haitian painting. It was in one of those small galleries behind Mercado Modelo, in a place called 'Little Haiti' in the capital city. I was told that the price of the painting was 6.000 pesos take-it-or-leave-it. I wanted the painting badly, but I only had about 2.000 pesos in my wallet. So I sat down in front of the gallery and stopped a local Haitian. I described to him my predicament, and told him that I could not pay more than 900 pesos for the painting, and that I was willing to pay him 100 pesos for his services if he purchased it for me. I gave him a 1000 pesos bill, and what a surprise, less than five minutes later he approached with the painting in hand.

Sorry for dropping in uninvited, but you just warmed my heart with this unexpected positive story about a Haitian! We should start a stickie for these kind of stories!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's all paint by numbers, so $RD100 is a good price!
$300 for a little one is overpaying.
The big Velvet Elvis paintings are worth maybe $RD500.
I am talking about the really fancy ones that might hang in the Bada Bing!