whale watching

scott nelson

Jan 31, 2006
What necessary permits are necessary to go whale watching in a private boat? We would like to go out from sabana de la mar this weekend. I am aware of the regulations for respecting the whales etc. but I was wondering if it is legal to strike out in our own boat and if any specific safety precautions other than normal ocean navigation precautions need to be taken.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
I believe that the area is a protected reserve and there are strict rules on how to observe the whales. I went whale watching with Kim this past weekend and it was great. Although she runs a tour service, she is very professional and would give you a straight answer on how to go about it. Her website is www.whalesamana.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Budson is right. The whales are protected and there are regulations. One of them is the private boats are not allowed in the whale area. I'm sure you can understand the need for this. Although your questions indicate you would be respectful of the whales, you can imagine how many people, some of them probably drinking, would want to get as close as they can and maybe even come between mothers and calves.

Enjoy the whales from one of the excursion boats. The boat of Kim Beddall is the one I would recommend. She is at Victoria Marine/Whale Samana.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Whale Watching Regulations for the Bay of Saman?

scott nelson said:
What necessary permits are necessary to go whale watching in a private boat? We would like to go out from sabana de la mar this weekend. I am aware of the regulations for respecting the whales etc. but I was wondering if it is legal to strike out in our own boat and if any specific safety precautions other than normal ocean navigation precautions need to be taken.
Hello Scott,
The Whale Watching Regulations for the Bay of Saman?, posted on David Buglass web site, David is the Coordinator for the Sanctuary of Silver Bank for the 2006 Season.

Rules: http://www.whalewatchsamana.de/Rules/body_rules.html

Contact him thru his web site.

Regards,
WebDev

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
If anyone knows where I can see pictures of the whales on line. Please give me the wedsite. I can't go to DR any time soon, but I would love to see them.
Thanks for all your help.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RP23 said:
If anyone knows where I can see pictures of the whales on line. Please give me the wedsite. I can't go to DR any time soon, but I would love to see them.

The humpback whales that spend the winter in the Dominican Republic mating and giving birth spend the summer eating in the area between Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and Greenland. Do a google search for humpback whales and you will find many pictures of humpback whales of the North Atlantic. Those are the whales who migrate here for the winter.