poisonous creatures in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gougeonit

Feb 26, 2005
I was trying to find out if there are any poisonous creatures (other than sankies:classic: ) that I have to keep a look out for in my travels. tks gouge

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would be highly unusual to run into any at all, but if you were to, #1 on the list would be centipede, which is said to be poisoinous enough to kill a baby, 2nd would be Tarantulas,
Both are extremely rare.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Our understanding is that the tarantulas (cacatas) are not poisonous, but because of their size, they can actually bite a chunck out of a finger or something...

Nothing else is poisonous as far as I'm aware, excepting the centipede that Rocky talks about. Shake out your shoes before you put them on in the morning. :classic:

Mosquito protection is probably a good idea.

Heather

May 26, 2003
spider has a bad rap

I lived in the DR for 7 years and only had 1 (benign) encounter with a centipede. Taratula sightings were far more common, but they are so harmless I got used to their presence. As long as you give them their space, they have no interest in messing with you.

Snakes and spiders are unfortunately demonized and killed for no reason in the DR. A Dominican acquaintance had a Spanish Boa (harmless to humans) crawl in the window and curl up next to him on the bed for warmth on a winter night. You can guess the price the snake paid for that.

The sankies are far more treacherous!

G

gary short

gougeonit said:
I was trying to find out if there are any poisonous creatures (other than sankies:classic: ) that I have to keep a look out for in my travels. tks gouge
Centipedes, scorpions, black widow spiders, fire ants, stinging jellyfish, rays, sea urchins, coneshells, tarantulas and some tree snakes.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In over 15 yrs of coming here....other than sankies, the only thing we've run across are tarantulas (rare) and sea urchins (depending on where you are) so I really don't think you have anything to worry about other than mosquitos which can carry either dengue or malaria.
In said time I've only met three ppl who've had dengue (I'm on of the three) and all of us seem to have got in from a mosquito bite in Santo domingo. I've never met anyone who's caught malaria from a mosquito bite here.
So bring some bug spray and have a great time!!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Tarantulas are extremely common in some areas. I have personally seen hundreds in the cane fields. While their bite is toxic, it is not dangerous to an adult. What is hazardous is the invisible cloud of poisonous body hairs that they release by scratching their lower back. These "urticating" hairs blind attacking birds, which fall to the ground and are then bitten and killed by the tarantulas. For this reason avoid close contact. Centipedes are virulent Their sting is extremely painful, but you will rarely see them unless you are digging in your garden. Snakes are uncommon and not poisonous. Mosquitos and biting midges are common but can be combatted by using insect repellent containing "deet". Their itchy bites are best fixed with a weak solution of ammonia, or by meat tenderizer. While SCUBA diving or snorkelling avoid touching anything. Sea urchin spines are poisonous and difficult to remove. Only dive with an experiensed divemaster. You will probably never encounter any of the things I ha ve described, so have a great holiday!!! Canadian Bob.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Motoconchos

If you are wearing a nice watch and are leaving the ATM machine the motoconchos could pose a danger. Although my wounds have healed totally my ribs and the dam headaches still bother me.

Chuckuindy

G

gary short

Blunt headed green tree snake is venomous I believe. If it isn't I apologize in advance for the misinformation. Chuckuindy, you got rolled, where?

MariposaAzul

Jan 17, 2006
Chris said:
Our understanding is that the tarantulas (cacatas) are not poisonous, but because of their size, they can actually bite a chunck out of a finger or something...

AYE yuck! :eek:

I saw one the other day that had red on it's abdomen and it was HUGE!

Don't forget the wolf spiders and other 8-legged friends!!!FONT]

G

gary short

A blunt headed green tree snake that's moderately venomous.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Spiders: Many of the bites can be nasty. We do have Black Widows here and in 43 years I have know of two and seen just one myself. (One of my sons saw the other one while building part of the new airport.)
Tarantulas feed at dusk. They do not like people.

There are no poisonous snakes of any kind here. (Unless some idiot has brought one in and released it!!:(:(:()

Centipedes are the true nasties. But unless you go sticking your hand into dirty piles of clothers or other warm, damp places...?????

Scorpions are rare too.

Bug repellant with DEET.

HB :D:D:D Not to worry..

gougeonit

Feb 26, 2005
ouch

chuckuindy said:
If you are wearing a nice watch and are leaving the ATM machine the motoconchos could pose a danger. Although my wounds have healed totally my ribs and the dam headaches still bother me.

Chuckuindy

I was looking at the member fotos, trying to put some faces with some names; and I stumbled across your battered photo. The main thing is your still standing.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
I stumbled on a black two foot long thin snake on a beach near bavaro is this dangerous?also i"ve seen many rats running around (no snide comments please) and dogs;is rabbies a high risk here;and what do you do if your bitten?

G

gary short

british bulldog said:
I stumbled on a black two foot long thin snake on a beach near bavaro is this dangerous?also i"ve seen many rats running around (no snide comments please) and dogs;is rabbies a high risk here;and what do you do if your bitten?
If you're bitten by a rabid dog suck the blood from the wound. If you cannot reach the wound yourself have somebody else suck on the wound. Grab the two foot long black snake and swing it around your head as this is the universal distress signal. Again regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.