A Question for the Ladies

myra77

Dec 29, 2005
dr1.com
Hi Ladies, (And gentlemen who are reading)!

As some of you know I will be coming down to Puerto Plata for 4 months in April, and was just wondering if you suggest that I bring my own tampons or buy them locally?

If you could let me know that would be great!

Thanks

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Honey.........

I would recommend that you buy your thingies at home (all self0acqre products!)

#1 They may not have what you want in the DR.
#2 IF THEY HAVE IT, you will pay A LOT for it.

I used to be the kind of traveler who advocated buying shampoo and toothpaste and sunblock THERE, not at home - and using it later as a souverir.

BUT. First time in the Rd changed my mind.

Most of what they get comes from Mexico and as such it costs too much.......and very small selection.

BRING YOUR OWN!!!!!!!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
What have this World come to?... Cheapskates.. What if you have to go in
the pool? youk..

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Bring 'em......cost Waaaayyyyy to much here for the number you'll need for 4 months they won't take up much space or weight in your suitcase!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hi Myra!

I would recommend bringing a lot of your own personal hygiene or beauty products. Not all but some.

You can find brand name Tampons here but they are a bit on the expensive side. I had to buy a 10-pack in the grocery store a couple of months ago and it was 85 RD. That's not a lot of pesos but when you consider you can get 40 Tampax for the equivalent of 150 RD in other countries, it's something.

Things such as shampoo, conditioner and lotion - if I were you, I would just buy it here. Not only can you find a variety of good imported products for very cheap (A two-pack of Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner is 99 RD in Las Margeritas, a local store). If you travel with shampoo, etc in your luggage, you might find that by the time your baggage gets to POP, the stuff will have spilled everywhere, no matter how many precautions you took.

As far as makeup - bring as much as you can in your carry on bag. The makeup in the DR sucks. I've tried the expensive stuff, the cheap stuff and everything in between and it's all crap. If you have a favorite facial lotion or wash, I would suggest bringing that as well as it can be hard to find good brands here.

Good disposable razors that won't tear your legs up are expensive here so try to bring a pack of your normal brand with you.

You can buy toothpaste and deodorant here at very cheap prices, you just have to know where to look.

And as we talked about before - try to cram as much clothing as you can into your luggage; you will go through more than you think you will. Things have a tendency of getting torn and stained or just plain dirty from the air so you might go through clothing pretty quickly. There are a ton of stores here in POP but if you buy clothes there, you will look the same as everybody else in town.

You might see a cute halter top in the store Divas, buy it and feel like a million bucks. But later that night, you might see a hooker wearing the same top. We can't have that, missy! Plus, if you have a big chest none of the shirts will fit you. But don't despair, you and I will of course go on that shopping spree we talked about.

:classic:

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Myra

One tip - if you use those all in one cleansing/make up remover wipes - such as Nivea Visage - make sure you bring enough to last you 4 months.

I bought a packet from Jose Luis - they didn't have a price on and I was in a hurry at the time so I just put them in my basket thinking that they woudn't be more than 150/200 pesos (expecting them to be expensive because they are imported). I couldn't believe my eyes when I got to the till and they came up at 300 pesos !!!!!!!!!

Daydream :classic:

Sep 19, 2005
so I see a side buisness blooming...since i am making soo many trips, and I descovered that all the clothes i was bringing it...only half eneded up getting used...so i have freed up enough space in my luggage to just bring a huge fat carry on and a small knapsack ..( all thats allowed for carry on) and that has been good....but now i can load up 2 whole bags of feminine stuff... and sell it in the DR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no Idont mind looking like a sicko at the airport...when my bags go through the xray machines!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha...

the bad news is my gf wont benefit, because she has used the DR stuff all her life!!!!!!!!!!

she told me she wanted to get a job .. and would like to sell stuff................. so this may be it!!!!! ha ha ha ha

bob

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Recommendation for buying tampons.

Buy the ones with the plastic applicator - the paper ones can get affected by the humidity and have the tampon pop out. It also makes it easier for packing, they wont get crushed as easily

Also when I bring them down I always transfer them from the box to a plastic bag, again to keep the humidty out.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
One more thing Myra~

Bring an abundant supply of hair ties. The hair ties in the DR suck!!!!

It doesn't matter if you buy a brand new pack of fairly expensive ones - half the time, the first time you go to use them they break. Mine usually snap and go flying across the room.

The ones that don't break upon the initial use are so stretched out by the 2nd or 3rd time you wear them that they have absolutely no elasticity and are worthless.

I've went through 2 today and it's only noon.

****es me off... :angry:

P.S. who knows - you may not even need tampons while you are here. Your cycles may be really messed up due to the change in climate. I've known a couple girls who lived here for months before they were back to normal.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Sunny, by hair ties do you mean scrunchies, elastic covered with material?

What colors are popular?

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Sunny, by hair ties do you mean scrunchies, elastic covered with material?

What colors are popular?

No, not scrunchies. Yech.

Just the elastic bands that are covered in cloth. Most women here wear black or brown, whichever corresponds with their hair color.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
The elastic in my swimsuits tends to fail after awhile also.

I think it is the heat humidity and salt air.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
toothbrushes

i would bring an extra tooth brush from home, as i paid 5 dollars US for one! way to expensive!

Sep 19, 2005
Erin24 said:
i would bring an extra tooth brush from home, as i paid 5 dollars US for one! way to expensive!

checked into a hotel on the malecon in puerto plata in november...forgot to bring toothbrushes for me or my gf. We called the front desk, and aske dif they could send someone out for them for me in the morning....sure enough the lady bought 2 for us at the store down the road. I know i gave her 300 pesos for both and I included a big tip......cant remember exactly the tip.
the rate was about 33-34 pesos per dollar then.......and who knows she may have padded the price anyway!...they were some fancy crest toothbrushes as well!!!!!!!!!

bob