Transportation

Jan 20, 2006
Can anyone tell me how much it will cost to take a taxi from the Puerto Plata Airport to the Casa Marina, in Sousa.

Thank you for your help.
Linda

Jan 20, 2006
Thanks for the info Nikki, all the taxi information on the internet said it would be $30.00 us. You dont know of a reputable taxi company that I could reserve transportation with do you?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bucknell_d@yahoo.com said:
Thanks for the info Nikki, all the taxi information on the internet said it would be $30.00 us. You dont know of a reputable taxi company that I could reserve transportation with do you?

The taxi stand at the airport is reputable. All rates are posted.

Taxi prices for all but inside of Sosua raised recently. US$20 is no longer the price. Expect to pay US$25-30.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
That's strange about the price going up as I only called them yesterday and $20 US was the price quoted!! I did not call the airport but the taxi rank in central Sosua.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nikki Simon said:
That's strange about the price going up as I only called them yesterday and $20 US was the price quoted!! I did not call the airport but the taxi rank in central Sosua.
Each taxi route (union) sets their own rates. Rate you were quoted was for Sosua taxi to take you to the airport. Probably less than airport taxis posted rate to take you the other direction.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nikki Simon said:
Nope, definately from the airport to Sosua. Anyway, life's too short to argue.....
I understand that, but you said you were talking to the taxi company in Sosua, not the taxi at the airport. Two different companies with two different rate schedules. We have the same thing here in Puerto Plata, The airport taxi charges $35 to downtown POP while the Puerto Plata Taxi charges $25 to the airport. So unless you can get a Sosua taxi to meet you at the airport (he'll have to do that undercover to avoid a union fight), you'll get an Airport taxi to take you to Sosua, at the airport posted rates. No argument intended, only the reason why.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
HOWMAR, Thanks from me as well. All the help I can get is greatly appreciated. I will send JJ an e-mail today.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bucknell_d@yahoo.com said:
Thank you for the information. I have sent off an email to get a price quote. This is very helpful.
JJ works out of Santiago, and although his rates from POP/Sosua to Santiago are very reasonable, unless he is in the area, I'm sure he will charge you more than $20US to take you from Puerto Plata Airport to the Casa Marina, in Sousa.:)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Interesting. A couple of years ago we got Airport to Sosua for $15USD -- at 3 in the morning too -- and back to the Airport for 500 RD. Things have gone up. Rocky's free pick up becomes a definite plus.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Me_again said:
Interesting. A couple of years ago we got Airport to Sosua for $15USD -- at 3 in the morning too -- and back to the Airport for 500 RD. Things have gone up. Rocky's free pick up becomes a definite plus.
And gasoline wasn't almost $4 a gallon a couple of years ago.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
". . . And gasoline wasn't almost $4 a gallon a couple of years ago."

Right on! I wasn't complaining, just commenting. Gasoline has done some strange things in Nova Scotia too. But it's down again to 0.95 CDN a litre, which for some reason we think is OK (after last summer when at times it was almost 50% higher).