4th Trip to DR-NEVER STAY AT GRAND FLAMENCO

bettyboop2006

Feb 3, 2006

We just got back last night at 9pm from our 4th trip to the beautiful country of the DR. I must say that this trip(especially because of where we stayed) was not the best time for where we layed our heads at night. We stayed in the Playa Dorada Complex at the Occidental Grand Flamenco Resort, which I may add is a 4+ rated hotel. So of course, this being our first time in a higher rated hotel we expected things to be different....NOT, especially at this hotel. The room was nice, we had a balcony(with a nice view of the pool), a large bathroom, two double beds, and a mini bar (score)NOT. The mini bar was filled with two water, two Presidente(best beer), and two pop. Of course as soon as we saw this we pretty much drank the beer and pop, and called the next day for our fridge to be refilled( on our 2wk stay that happen once). AND, because only one of the plugs worked,we had to have our drinks warm b/c we had the television plugged in. Then on one night we were on our way to eat dinner but couldn't get out of the room. The door had a dead bolt on it as well, which is good so that someone on the outside couldn't get in with just the electronic key, but not good when we couldn't;t get out. We called the front desk right away,they came in about 3mins. but couldn't understand why we couldn't get out. It took about five people outside our room to try the regular key( of course it didn't work) then finally when we said we would break the lock, they sent someone over the neighbours balcony into our room and we were finally off to dinner 25 minutes later. Speaking of dinner, the food in the DR is always good. However, a must say that this hotel needs to mix it up a little. I am so SICK OF EATING EGGS for breakfast, which pretty much was one of the more appealing things to eat besides cereal, toast, fruits, pancakes etc. They would always serve breakfast with the left overs from the previous nights dinner. And this a al carte crap they try to sell you, oh yes this hotel has 6 of them (LIES) they actually only have 4. They have, Steakhouse,Italian, Pizzeria, Oriental, they add the beach bar and the fastfood restaurant(by pool) to get their 6. So they make you stand in some long lineup to make reservations only to eat the same food in the buffet anyways. So on the night they have Oriental in the buffet, the people in the A La Carte Oriental restaurant are eating the same thing.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh boy!

I am sorry that it was not for your liking. Next time, do not stay there.

Let's not forget that "one person's hell can be another person's paradise".

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bettyboop2006 said:

We just got back last night at 9pm from our 4th trip to the beautiful country of the DR. I must say that this trip(especially because of where we stayed) was not the best time for where we layed our heads at night. We stayed in the Playa Dorada Complex at the Occidental Grand Flamenco Resort, which I may add is a 4+ rated hotel.
By a 4+, do you mean a 4-star plus (out of 5?)? And who did the rating?

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Transat Holiday

rellosk said:
By a 4+, do you mean a 4-star plus (out of 5?)? And who did the rating?

Just checked it, and they, transat are rating it 4 star. They also mention 5 a la carte, not 6. It does say mini bar fridge with water, beer and soda but do not say it will be restocked, some resort do say re-stocked daly or twice per week but not this one. Sorry you did not like your trip, and the mini bar should not be a reason not to go back. There is plenty of drinking to do outside the room.

Sep 19, 2005
me and my gf stayed at the playa dora occidental in jack tar....and found it kinda similar.....you need to stay at least once in a really really nice place to see that they dont need to do much to make the place SOOOOO much better.

everyplace has its quirks....but since both these places are owned by the same company, I find it interesting that my thoughts on the food was similar...bland, and repeatable.....I have stayed at a few places where the spread was huge!!!!.......the gran ventana, had a nice buffet last oct. But the day we stayed at the Jack Tar Occidental we tried to stay at the gran ventana, but they were booked up....but the price was about 25% higher for the gran ventana....so take that into consideration....

Of all the places i have stayed in the DR....most have issues with things working in the room in one form or another...now i usually only stay a single night, maybe 2 at tops, because we move around a lot. So if you were staying for a week, some of these issues would be ressolved in a day or two, and now you are enjoying the room more...not so with us...we only knew how the rooms were with the problem..... that said.... the gran ventana room we had( they were close to being booked and they put us way away from the beach) was a really nice room. I wanted back to back rooms with a connecting door in between for my GF sister. The bathroom was perfect( one of only two I have even stayed in , in the DR) and the room was huge and the mini bar was PACKED!!!!!!, funny we didnt know it was packed till the day we were leaving!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha.....we just took everything with us!!!!

many places you have to PAY for all or any thing over a certain selection in the mini bar.

In sanot doming we stayed at a hotel, that was about 2400 peso for my gf's mothers room...well she ate up the mini bar and that came to 1900 pesos!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha....almsot doubled the cost of the room and it said what was free , and the price of all the rest on a little menu at the mini bar.

bob