New to Forum and Need info re visa

neeny

Feb 6, 2006
Bear with me--I really have no experience with forums. I am trying to find out how to get a Dominican friend to visit me in the US for the summer. I have a landscaping job lined up for him to begin in April and just started looking into visas and passports. I thought that he could just apply like I did and come here as easy as it was for me to get a passport a couple of months ago and visit Punta Cana for a week. NOT SO!! I am overwhelmed with paperwork, fees, questions, etc., then read on a forum that he can apply for a visa but then he may be denied entry when he gets to US Customs. He is definitely coming temporarily as I'm not into any long term committed relationships. Why can't he just get a passport and visit for a few months? What kind of visa can he get? I am so confused and appreciate anyone's guidance. Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Even if he could come on a visitor's visa he would not be able to work legally while there. He's coming from a third world country and has to prove he has reason to return to the DR .

You need to brush up on your country's immigration policy

http://travel.state.gov/

neeny

Feb 6, 2006
I have brushed up on my country's immmigration policy, but I do have some questions. I know he cannot come here on a tourist visa and legally work. He can come on an H-2B visa and his potential future boss needs to file a I-129 form. His son would be the only reason he has for returning to the DR. I am concerned that after all his efforts to obtain a passport and visa and the efforts of his US boss, that he would get to Port of Entry and be denied entry. Is that true? Is my research right?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
neeny said:
I have brushed up on my country's immmigration policy, but I do have some questions. I know he cannot come here on a tourist visa and legally work. He can come on an H-2B visa and his potential future boss needs to file a I-129 form. His son would be the only reason he has for returning to the DR. I am concerned that after all his efforts to obtain a passport and visa and the efforts of his US boss, that he would get to Port of Entry and be denied entry. Is that true? Is my research right?
Not if he had the visa approved and in hand. But, he won't, so stop living a fantasy.

neeny

Feb 6, 2006
Howmar-
What do you mean "had the visa approved"? Can you have a visa that is not approved and make it as far as Port of Entry? What would you do then? Hope they let you in because you made it that far? Why do you say "stop living a fantasy"? Is getting a visa just really impossible? Even with an employer sponsorship?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
A person must have a college degree in the field that they are going to work in order to get an H1B visa. So unless he is some type of renowned horticulturist he is not getting a visa to do landscaping work.

Maybe that US temporary work permit that Bush has been talking about for the past few years will happen one of these days.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
neeny said:
Howmar-
What do you mean "had the visa approved"? Can you have a visa that is not approved and make it as far as Port of Entry? What would you do then? Hope they let you in because you made it that far?
Not unless he is a good swimmer. He won't get on a plane without a visa.
neeny said:
Why do you say "stop living a fantasy"? Is getting a visa just really impossible? Even with an employer sponsorship?
As I don't think his future profession as a landscaper's laborer qualifies as a priority for US immigration, he'll just have to get in line with the rest of the potential immigrants from the rest of the world. The bottmom line is that unless he is a fairly affluent Dominican with assets and job in the DR, he won't get a tourist visa either. His probable only hope (or maybe yours) is to marry an American.

neeny

Feb 6, 2006
Chris

It would be an H-2B visa because he does not have a college degree. It is for temporary non-agricultural seasonal work for US businesses who need good seasonal workeres. My landscaping friend has 6 Brazillians on his payroll and 2 from Guatamala. I know 3 of them have been here at least 4 or 5 years. It is obvious now that I should talk to them and the boss for some concrete answers; I just thought the internet would produce some quick answers.

Howmar

Last summer we sponsored a 12 year old boy through the Fresh Air Fund. It was a great experience, but kept me away from my work. Too fix that, I thought this summer I would try an adult. As far as marrying him, that would mean permanency, which is not my gig. I am too smart to ever put myself in a position where I may lose control of my independence, which is why I have been happily divorced for 10 years, self-employed and experimented with the Fresh Air Fund vs. foster parenting. I may go back to the DR once but have a HUGE list of places to get to: Tanzania, the South Pacific, India, Vietnam and of course everywhere in the Carribbean. There is no future for me and this hot Dominican except for me to get tired of sexing him, which 3-4 months will do.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Just so you know that the INS/Homeland Security can and do deny entry to the USA with visas and the person is held in custody and deported on the returning flight that brought them. The visa is a permit to attempt to enter - the decision is that of the entry officer, not the visa officer.

So if he bungles things up on arrival , el bootskie. Since you are trying to defraud the system to get your bedmate in on the pretext of an immigrant farm worker, you might get a visit from the US Attorney as well.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
neeny said:
Chris

There is no future for me and this hot Dominican except for me to get tired of sexing him, which 3-4 months will do.
With the possibility of obtaining a visa taken off the table, I wonder who will get tired of sexing who, first?

neeny

Feb 6, 2006
Rick

Thanks for your response. Your first paragraph was exactly what I wanted to know. It is what I researched, but I was not quite sure I was comprehending corrrectly. Whew, that took a lot of time! Thanks again.

Please don't say I am defrauding the system. My friend (landscaper) has sponsored non-immigrants in the past and will sponsor my friend from the Dominican--all legitimately. Does it matter what my motive is? He (my "friend") wants the opportunity to make a lot of money, the landscaper is always desperate for willing workers, and I'll have a bedmate. What's wrong with that? Are non-immigrants to refrain from getting laid because they are here on a work visa? His coming here will be legal. It is between the boss and the employee. I am only orchestrating for my own perverted reasons! And it is not on the pretext of an immigrant farm worker; it is an H-2B visa issued for non-agricultural, seasonal work. It is a one-time occurrence and for employers seeking quality workers for peak periods.

Howmar

Good question. Who knows?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
neeny said:
My landscaping friend has 6 Brazillians on his payroll and 2 from Guatamala. I know 3 of them have been here at least 4 or 5 years. It is obvious now that I should talk to them and the boss for some concrete answers;
Interesting to see how many run if somebody yells "IMMIGRATION".