certificates of deposit question

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
Hola everyone. A quick question here please. "can anyone tell me what the central bank is offering in terms of CD's (rates) these days??"

Many thanks...Steve

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
24% for 2 years,21% for 1 year ,also have other rate tiers for shorter terms check the central bank website.very large debate on how safe they are long term.check out other threads on this.

Ponder1962

Feb 7, 2006
Road to Samana

Dear All: what is the latest that people here on the progress building the highway from Santo Domingo to Samana? What's the latest realistic date of completion? You can reply directly to me at ponder1962@yahoo.com
Regards, Dave

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Dear Ponder : Hijacking a thread on CD rates with a new highway question is not the greatest approach, nor is posting an e-mail address as you can get lots of SPAM while also getting no answers.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Dear Ponder : Hijacking a thread on CD rates with a new highway question is not the greatest approach, nor is posting an e-mail address as you can get lots of SPAM while also getting no answers.
Sounds like "highway robbery".

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
thanks british bulldog!

appreciate the insight! have tried the central bank website but couldn't find any info on cd rates...will try again...thnx for your help!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Great investment!

So if and when The RD Peso goes to $40/USD you will break even after Currency devaluation and inflation on a 24% CD.

G

gary short

Where's the peso going after it reaches $40/USD. According to my crystal ball, its going back down to $15/USD. I'm putting all my chips into c.d. hopefully Ican lock in at 30%. Ya baby needs some new shoes!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I do this for a living in 5 currency pairs, It's all in the charts.
We do not use a crystal ball. I am telling you your best case scenario @ 24% is breakeven. Try USD denominated paper @ 12% TAX FREE.

G

gary short

Tamborista said:
I do this for a living in 5 currency pairs, It's all in the charts.
We do not use a crystal ball. I am telling you your best case scenario @ 24% is breakeven. Try USD denominated paper @ 12% TAX FREE.
I'm in total agreement and I speak from experience.

G

gary short

Tamborista said:
Make up your mind!
By refering to my crystal ball I was trying to illustrate the folly in investing in B.C. C.D's, get it . Also you stating that one will break even at 24% seems like you're tossing dice.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
gary short said:
Where's the peso going after it reaches $40/USD. According to my crystal ball, its going back down to $15/USD.

Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho Ho ho ho ho ho :nervous: :lick: :nervous: :eek: :nervous: :lick: :nervous: :eek: :lick:

Bridge for sale! Bridge for sale!

The answer to the first question is 50 by the way.

G

gary short

50 to 1. Gee thanks ricktoronto I'll adjust my financial plans. You're the best. Again thanks what an apportunity to invest in a currency on the move ,my motto buy low sell high.....haha. I've got some bridge building equipment for sale if you're interested.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gary Soros:

I have news for you, your crystal ball seems to be rose colored.
I have to agree with my pal Rick Toronto!
The RD Peso will see 50/USD before it sees 15/USD.

Since you seem new to the Fx game, if you are long PESOS at 34/USD and the pair goes to 45/USD you lost only 32% of your original investment!

You seem to have it all under control by investing in 24% B.C. Certificates.

Good Luck.

G

gary short

God help me I give up. I won't invest another penny in pesos can't you two rocket scientists read between the lines. I've made plenty of money currency trading so I certainly don't need anyone telling me to look at Yahoo currency graphs and infer that one should use that as a tool to forecast future rates. Hey but if it works for you, best of wishes.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Using traditional analytics and hedging techniques work for properly liquid currencies , not so well for manipulated currencies like the DR peso. Who is offering forwards, swaps or futures in RD$ outside the RD? Nobody. If there was a market and there isn't, the 24% rate would be indicative of a 42:1 peso in forward markets. It is a simple fact that a Central bank needing to offer 24% for CD's is a desperate central bank.

By the way people do not "infer" , they "imply" . What you take away from something implied you have "inferred" . Lecture in the King's proper English OK?

If someone gets the idea from your behavior that you are a fool, then he is inferring that you are a fool. But if he is subtly letting you know that he thinks so, then he is implying that you are a fool. You, of course, can infer from his implication that he thinks you are a fool.

In this case the definition of a fool would be someone investing in these CD's and assuming a windfall.