Unlimited incoming calls from the DR!!!

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Here goes the post again as it was deleted in error.

There is a company offering unlimited incoming phone calls from the DR for 14.95 if registered for a year. This service is only from SD now,, but it will be available from Santiago and POP soon.

You will get a SD phone number so that your friends and family can call you from a land line (it is not worth it with cells as they have to use their minutes) as if they are calling next door. So they will make this number ring at any phone you would like here in Canada or USA.

I got this done in the begining of the week,,,and in all honesty,,, I think I already talked my year worth!!!!

If interested, please send me a PM,,,, I am not sure if I can post company name and numbers in here.

This is great for people with aging parents which are not able to understand computer, so no modem, cable or DSL and all the other details of Skype or Vonage.

You can try the service for ONE month for 24.95 and see if this works for your needs.

CB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
chiquittabanana said:
Here goes the post again as it was deleted in error.

There is a company offering unlimited incoming phone calls from the DR for 14.95 if registered for a year. This service is only from SD now,, but it will be available from Santiago and POP soon.

You will get a SD phone number so that your friends and family can call you from a land line (it is not worth it with cells as they have to use their minutes) as if they are calling next door. So they will make this number ring at any phone you would like here in Canada or USA.

I got this done in the begining of the week,,,and in all honesty,,, I think I already talked my year worth!!!!

If interested, please send me a PM,,,, I am not sure if I can post company name and numbers in here.

This is great for people with aging parents which are not able to understand computer, so no modem, cable or DSL and all the other details of Skype or Vonage.

You can try the service for ONE month for 24.95 and see if this works for your needs.
I'm a little dense. Let me try to figure out what you said.

For $179.40 a year (you said you need to prepay a year) you would be able to make unlimited calls from Santo Domingo (other cities may follow) to the US/Canada? Is that what you said?

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
please give us the DETAILS

seems like more info is needed on this.
i.e.
why do you have to prepay?

do you prepay yearly, monthly...?

what company?

what guaratees?

etc

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Details

The company is called DGTEC, they have a web site www.plan809.com and their phone number is 877-plan809.

As I said before they have three different types of subcriptions a month for 24, 6 for 19 and a year for 14. If you don't feel comfortable with the whole pre-paid thing,,,,give it a try for a month and then make an informed decision.

If this does not work or it is a scam,,, I already talked my 206 bucks of the year!!!!

CB

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Discount at registration

I forgot to mention that they will give you 5.00 off at registration if you quote my phone. This is called "Planes referidos". If interested my number is 809-202-7082.

For personal service ask for Mario at 786-208-8669

CB

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Why not just get Vontage online and talk for $14.95 per month? You can call out and they can call in anytime.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Internet service

I was told you need Internet service to get Vonage, so the person calling needs to pay Aster or Verizon for that service before they can call you.

CB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
drliving said:
Why not just get Vontage online and talk for $14.95 per month? You can call out and they can call in anytime.
Don't you need to call from your computer? This service is used by calling a local SD acess number from a land phone.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
That is the beauty of it!!!

Nope... no computer or internet service need it, all you need to do is pick up a land line and call the number from SD and Bingo,,,, we are talking.

I requested the phone to ring at my cell, so when I am in my office I forward my cell phone to my office and I don't use any of my air time. At night I forward my cell to the house phone,,,, it has been a non-stop ringing!!!! I just love it.

I just got off the phone with an old friend from SD, she called me from her house, and we talked for 40 minutes.

CB

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
thanks
I'll look into this. God knows I spend at least $40 a month using calling cards. SPecking of which....one of the reasons I want to move to DR is because those *&%^$ calling cards got me so stressed out.

I have come to believe that these credit card crap is a joint scam between the phone companies and the calling card co. in fact, many of those calling cards are issued by the phone companies themselves, just under those funny names i.e. arroz con pollo, etc.

anyways, half the time I lose half my money because the call drops, connection is bad, or some other reason.

If this VOIP thing works fine, they get my business.

chiquittabanana said:
The company is called DGTEC, they have a web site www.plan809.com and their phone number is 877-plan809.

As I said before they have three different types of subcriptions a month for 24, 6 for 19 and a year for 14. If you don't feel comfortable with the whole pre-paid thing,,,,give it a try for a month and then make an informed decision.

If this does not work or it is a scam,,, I already talked my 206 bucks of the year!!!!

CB

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
vonage heh?

drliving said:

I just looked into vonage and they dont have 809 area code available. rate to DR is .10/min

to use vonage I would need to get the advantage of the 809 area code instead of making an international call.

if somone knows otherwise using vonage. please post it and let us all know.

thanks

Last edited:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
donrael said:
I just looked into vonage and they dont have 809 area code available. rate to DR is .10/min

to use vonage I would need to get the advantage of the 809 area code instead of making an international call.

if somone knows otherwise using vonage. please post it and let us all know.

thanks

I believe Vonage works like this.. You setup Vonage for someone in the DR and they will have a local (US) number, which you can dial from the US as a local call, not as an international call. From the other end (DR) that person should have dsl.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Can I forward the call to my cell and its still valid?

chiquittabanana said:
Nope... no computer or internet service need it, all you need to do is pick up a land line and call the number from SD and Bingo,,,, we are talking.

I requested the phone to ring at my cell, so when I am in my office I forward my cell phone to my office and I don't use any of my air time. At night I forward my cell to the house phone,,,, it has been a non-stop ringing!!!! I just love it.

I just got off the phone with an old friend from SD, she called me from her house, and we talked for 40 minutes.

CB

can I have those calls incoming to the VOIP go to my cell and still be as if I was using the 809 area code?

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
VONAGE from DR...ways around it.

I got this from a post in the vonage site:

Question::::

Hello; I recently activated a 1-800 number so that my wife's family and friends could call us from the Dominican Republic.

Unfortunately
icon_sad.gif
none of these folks (in both Santiago and Santo Domingo) could get through. (I believe a few got a recording that the "800" number dialed was in fact a toll number!)

It was my understanding that this would work because the DR uses the NANP numbering plan for its' Public Switched Telephone Networks.

Dos preguntas:

(1) Is there any Toll Prefix (e.g. 866, etc.) that will work in the DR?
(2) Any idea when the virtual telephone numbers for the DR will become available on Vonage?

Gracias!+

One RESPONSE::::

Dave-

800 and 866 numbers usually work from calling the DR but be very careful as the Verzion, the local phone company, usually charges the users somewhere between 20 and 50 cents a minute.

But, what you could do is to send your vonage box to the dr. You of course need high speed internet which is around $50 a month, but I use vonage from here and it works great.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Chiquittabanana

Can you make phone calls from your plan809 number in the US? Would a phone call TO Santo Domingo cost like a local phone call in Santo Domingo? (aprox. 3.4 cents/min after taxes with Verizon)

Jess

Oops... didnt see it was for Incoming calls only in your first post :/

donrael said:
Dos preguntas:

800 and 866 numbers usually work from calling the DR but be very careful as the Verzion, the local phone company, usually charges the users somewhere between 20 and 50 cents a minute.

But, what you could do is to send your vonage box to the dr. You of course need high speed internet which is around $50 a month, but I use vonage from here and it works great.

The 1800 numbers work from Santiago but the charge you 10 pesos/minute and that can be very pricey. The toll free number in the DR is 1200 or 1-220 and it doesn't work with Vonage.
Having Vonage over there can be pricey and complicated (specially for older people) because in order for you to have Vonage you should have:

-DSL internet
-Unlimited minutes on your phone aka VIP plan (Last time I check it was about 1000.00 pesos)
-A computer online at basically all times (that will add to your electricity bill)

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Details about Plan 809!!!!

ok, I called the office here in NYC and got some details. I first told them that they had to do something about their website, nowadays websites have to have a certain standard and their website simply put sucks. it lacks info., it needs some technical bugs fixed etc.

here are the details:

1. you get assigned a number to either your landline or your cell. its actually an 809 number associated w/ your phone; then when someone calls that numbe they just tranfer the call to your phone.

2. the company is either owned or in partnership w/ Grupo Leon Jimenez (one of these days I want to have my own Grupo something company...lol)

3. they are based in SDQ and if someone calls you from SDQ you're straight. howeer if they call you from any other province thae person callling you has to pay the connection charge to the capital; unless they use TRICOM, then I guess that regional connection fee is not an issue. Santiago will be added this month, so they say.

4. you cant make calls ( well...yes and no...i'll explain). this is a one way service, you only receive when they call you from DR, if you want to be able to make calls you have to wait till they offfer that option, and pay more. HOWEVER, they have this other option where you can add credit to you account and make calls there. sort of like a calling card credit. THE NICE THINGS about this credit option are:

a. you only pay for what you use, no rounding-up like these %$^* calling cards do
b. you dont pay connection fee like you do w/ these %$^* calling cards
c. if you have $.30 left you keep it
d. whatever you have left stays there for at least a year.
e. AND you can maximize the PLAN 809 main service by using your credit to for say 30 sec. to tell them to call you at your 809 number. you can put $10.00 crdit last you a whole year this way.

5. if you do make calls there using the credit option, you pay about $.15 to call a cell phone and about $.09 to call a landline

6. once you sign up you only have to worry about your minutes if you are using a cell phone here in the USA.

7. you can forward calls received from there (may have to pay your carrier for this forwarding service though). so, technically, you can be talking to someone there and then transfer the call to somone else here who doenst have this $$$ saving service and have them take over the conversation w/ out spending a dime at international rate.

I told the guy that I spoke w/ whom was very nice and professional and took the time to asnwer all my questions, that I should'nt have to call them to find all this out. he says that the website is only a point of reference. well, I guess they haven't realized that these days websites a re a communication tool. besides, it saves them $$$ on human time, since they receive less calls...DUHHHH!

ok, I thikn i cover enough. HOPE this is helpful to MANY. if some of you get more info. please share it.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
VirginiaGomes said:
The 1800 numbers work from Santiago but the charge you 10 pesos/minute and that can be very pricey. The toll free number in the DR is 1200 or 1-220 and it doesn't work with Vonage.
Having Vonage over there can be pricey and complicated (specially for older people) because in order for you to have Vonage you should have:

-DSL internet
-Unlimited minutes on your phone aka VIP plan (Last time I check it was about 1000.00 pesos)
-A computer online at basically all times (that will add to your electricity bill)

I see, for a minute there I was thinking that vonage was better. now I am not sure. I need to compare both on the details. the devil is in the details.