Las Galeras to Las Terrenas method

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Gua gua (or other friendly transport) to Saman? then taxi to Las Terrenas? Or has anyone a better idea. Approximate cost of taxi: Saman? to LT?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gua-gua to Sanchez,(actually the intersection of the Sanchez-Saman? highway and the road that leads to Las Terrenas) then another guagua to Las Terrenas.
NO idea as to cost.

HB :D:D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly's post is one sure way to get there, but not sure if it is still the only way. There is a route that leaves from Samana that may get you to your destination without going to Sanchez. Check with the people in Las Galeras. Or maybe Andy B will see this and tell you if you can get to Las Terrenas without going all the way to Sanchez.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Ken, that there may well be another route to Las Terrenas. One that crosses the peninsula nearer Saman? and takes the north shore roads.
I am sure that there are guagua routes that go from Saman? to El Cruce to Algarobos and then over to El Lim?n, and from El Lim?n to Las Terrenas. But I'll bet they take like forever? I just don't have the experience to say for a fact...sorry.

HB :D:D

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks guys. That's what I was trying to avoid -- back to Sanchez. Not that it's a great big deal if the price is right. We've cut across the middle before (fifty-buck day trip in a jeep) and thought it might be an option again.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Me_again said:
Gua gua (or other friendly transport) to Saman? then taxi to Las Terrenas? Or has anyone a better idea. Approximate cost of taxi: Saman? to LT?

Cost of taxi from Saman? to Las Terrenas should be the same as the cost of taxi from Las Terrenas to Saman?. $40US dollars or less.

Here is a link to the price list of "Taxi Turistico" in Las Terrenas http://www.samana.net/lt-taxi_prices.jpg

Taking gua guas from Saman? to Las Terrenas is more complicated, is not a direct Gua gua from the market in Saman? to Las Terrenas.

Rent a car from Las Galeras for $60US/day, could be one other solution if you return to Las Galeras.

Good luck to you.

WebDev

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
"Taking gua guas from Saman? to Las Terrenas is more complicated, is not a direct Gua gua from the market in Saman? to Las Terrenas"

I can speak to this. Although it is going to take me some time, and I like to ramble. Just pretend you're taking your first lesson in Dominican Patience 101.

First. You take a gua-gua from The Main Gua-Gua Center in Las Galeras (near Club Bonito Hotel) to the gua-gua headquarters of Samana (in the hectic market area, way past the Maelcon). Don't get off too early in Samana, or you will be doin some walkin honey.

Then, you will see all the gua-guas parked in bays and foks waiting. You simply ask "Las Terrenas" repeatedly until someone points you to his gua-gua. In this case expect a pickup truck. My favorite has only one handle to roll the windows up or down - you just pass it around as needed. Or sit in the back, with no seatbealt - yippee!

You do not go direct. As you were warned, it is a long journey. But one so beautiful that I would hesitate to say it is too long.

You pass by Salta de LIMON (waterfall/horse rides), over hills and in vales and have some great bay views to your left. Then up the hill and you will all be likely dumped in a small village whose name escapes me. (Could it possibly be called "Sirena"?)

There, on main street, across from a CD music store with no posted prices, there wil be 3-4 gua-gua drivers taking a break there and soon they will ask you if you want to go to Las Terrenas. I usually end up with the blond lady driver. She is the only woman gua-gua driver I've had, and a foreign one at that. (Sorry - writer's curiosity is just killing me - where did she come from and why does she stay....) . I would say she is European, so don't count on getting any English out of her.

She will take you to Las Terrenas.

Now, as for what it cost me. I think 100 pesos, each way, for one person. So 200 pesos round trip. And I tipped a bit.

This was about a year ago.

I prefer the guagua to a taxi. I speak Spanish very well and don't stand out. I like the journey more than the destination, and I count the days until I can ride in the back of a pickup truck with no seatbelt. That's just me.

If you want a taxi, there are many good ones. I have one that I recommend and use who is the father of a friend, speaks English and German as well, and can also do double duty as a tour guide. Honnest and Christian. If that matters. For me, it does not matter but does make for very interesting talks on long rides.

PM me if you like -- Sam

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Bavarian Blonde

samanasuenos said:
.... I usually end up with the blond lady driver. She is the only woman gua-gua driver I've had, and a foreign one at that. (Sorry - writer's curiosity is just killing me - where did she come from and why does she stay....) . I would say she is European, so don't count on getting any English out of her.

I'm sure she doesn't mind me telling you that she is from Bavaria, Germany.
She might satisfy your curiosity further as she probably speaks some English as well.

m'frog

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Thank you M'frog!

mountainfrog said:
I'm sure she doesn't mind me telling you that she is from Bavaria, Germany.
She might satisfy your curiosity further as she probably speaks some English as well.

m'frog

Thank you m'frog: I appreciate your insider's scoop on her nationality. I kind of liked it better when I was forced to wonder where she came from...although there is still plenty of mystery.....for inquiring minds.

Viel danke! (sp?) -- Sam

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
easy and beautifull drive

Just to say that the road between Samana and Las Terrenas is one of the most spectactular on the peninsula, as for the time of in a "gua gua", can not say the delay. but it's a 25 minute drive through pure Dominican Republic beauty in your own car. Enjoy it all

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
post script

you climb out of Samana, turn right when you see sign for El Limon and your on your way. Samana - Sanchez - Las Terrenas, very beautifull as well, altitude gain and decent much more impressive, Again,, Enjoy !

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks everyone

That's a lot of useful info. We'll come to a decision on the spot just 13 days from now . . .

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
galerasto las terrenas

samanasuenos said:
"Taking gua guas from Saman? to Las Terrenas is more complicated, is not a direct Gua gua from the market in Saman? to Las Terrenas"

I can speak to this. Although it is going to take me some time, and I like to ramble. Just pretend you're taking your first lesson in Dominican Patience 101.

First. You take a gua-gua from The Main Gua-Gua Center in Las Galeras (near Club Bonito Hotel) to the gua-gua headquarters of Samana (in the hectic market area, way past the Maelcon). Don't get off too early in Samana, or you will be doin some walkin honey.

Then, you will see all the gua-guas parked in bays and foks waiting. You simply ask "Las Terrenas" repeatedly until someone points you to his gua-gua. In this case expect a pickup truck. My favorite has only one handle to roll the windows up or down - you just pass it around as needed. Or sit in the back, with no seatbealt - yippee!

You do not go direct. As you were warned, it is a long journey. But one so beautiful that I would hesitate to say it is too long.

You pass by Salta de LIMON (waterfall/horse rides), over hills and in vales and have some great bay views to your left. Then up the hill and you will all be likely dumped in a small village whose name escapes me. (Could it possibly be called "Sirena"?)

There, on main street, across from a CD music store with no posted prices, there wil be 3-4 gua-gua drivers taking a break there and soon they will ask you if you want to go to Las Terrenas. I usually end up with the blond lady driver. She is the only woman gua-gua driver I've had, and a foreign one at that. (Sorry - writer's curiosity is just killing me - where did she come from and why does she stay....) . I would say she is European, so don't count on getting any English out of her.

She will take you to Las Terrenas.

Now, as for what it cost me. I think 100 pesos, each way, for one person. So 200 pesos round trip. And I tipped a bit.

This was about a year ago.

I prefer the guagua to a taxi. I speak Spanish very well and don't stand out. I like the journey more than the destination, and I count the days until I can ride in the back of a pickup truck with no seatbelt. That's just me.

If you want a taxi, there are many good ones. I have one that I recommend and use who is the father of a friend, speaks English and German as well, and can also do double duty as a tour guide. Honnest and Christian. If that matters. For me, it does not matter but does make for very interesting talks on long rides.

PM me if you like -- Sam

the village is El Limon...to Las terrenas...gua guas run all day from there to las terrenas...40 pesos..pay no more

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks to you too. We were in El Limon two years ago -- picked up our guia for the Falls at a restaurant that might have been called something like Sirena or Sirenis.

A helpful hint to people who are doing the trek to the falls at Limon: do not -- repeat not -- do this the day after a heavy rainfall. The combination of mud and horse manure with the boulders makes for an exhausting climb and an "interesting" descent.