Environment Ministry arresting Public Works employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Let me see if I have this straight, the Ministry of the Environment is having police arrest employees of the Tourism Ministry and the Public Works Ministry who are hacking their way through the Nacional Parque Este to make a trail??:surprised

Sounds like the Prez needs to straighten this situation out. Does Presidential decree 686-05 permit this instrusion and cutting of hundreds of trees in a national park? If this not truly sanctioned by the Prez, then this will make the Ministry of the Environment basically an ineffective Ministry to control environmental abuse, if such an atrocity is permitted.

I've never heard of such crazy infighting between ministries within a country.

If this is permitted (for the sake of development greed and enrichment of the involved parties) while Environmental laws are scoffed, then basically it sends a message that all Dominican laws are subject to financial gain. Disdain for laws perpetuates a country that has "pseudo laws", where any law can be stretched, as long as various parties get their palms greased. :ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
kingofdice said:
Let me see if I have this straight, the Ministry of the Environment is having police arrest employees of the Tourism Ministry and the Public Works Ministry who are hacking their way through the Nacional Parque Este to make a trail??:surprised

Sounds like the Prez needs to straighten this situation out. Does Presidential decree 686-05 permit this instrusion and cutting of hundreds of trees in a national park? If this not truly sanctioned by the Prez, then this will make the Ministry of the Environment basically an ineffective Ministry to control environmental abuse, if such an atrocity is permitted.

I've never heard of such crazy infighting between ministries within a country.

If this is permitted (for the sake of development greed and enrichment of the involved parties) while Environmental laws are scoffed, then basically it sends a message that all Dominican laws are subject to financial gain. Disdain for laws perpetuates a country that has "pseudo laws", where any law can be stretched, as long as various parties get their palms greased. :ermm:

Actually, it was Wayne Fuller's Club Dominicus Americanus (Bayahibe) private guard that put a stop to it, and it was only after involving the local police that the Environment Ministry personnel showed up.

HOY on line

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Charlie, as you can see in this other thread, a number of people question the legality of the decree. What it claims that the Environment Law and Sectoral Law on Protected Areas authorizes them to do and what those laws actually do not appear to agree....

and BTW, I've seen this type of infighting between Ministries in a number of Latin American countries on several issues. For example, the Tourism and Environment Ministries of Mexico have had several tussles, and in Brazil, it's been open warfare between the Environment and Health Ministries on the one side vs. the Agriculture and Technology Ministries on the other regarding transgenic crops.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Wayne Fuller....How did he get that land. Is it true it was part of Parque del Este and Balaguer "gave" it to him?

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
i know I am responding to an old thread, but i may be able to answer your question, I knew Wayne personally, I was only 14 back in 76, and lived at the resort while it was under construction.

Here is something I found on this subject, written by Noam Chomsky, and Edward S Herman in 1979:

"A potential competitor to Gulf & Western's large seaside resort at La Romana, M. Wayne Fuller, ran into a steady series of obstacles in the early 1970s from the Tourism Office in importing supplies and obtaining tax concessions supposedly available to foreign enterprises. In April, 1975, a government decree was signed expropriating Fuller's beach-land property-for use as a public park-helped along possibly by the fact that the president of another G & W subsidiary was an advisor to the Dominican Republic Park Commission. This decree was rescinded when Fuller mobilized his forces, including various army officers and Balaguer himself. In brief, foreign interests are exceedingly powerful as they curry and buy favor and mobilize their elite cadres, with whom they jointly dominate and loot this small dependency."

At this link
New York Magazine - Google Books
Is a New York Magazine article on this subject.

Personally I really liked Wayne, he was a bit eccentric, but he a had a vision and a great sense of humor. those few months i spent at that resort I consider one of the best times of my childhood, My father was helping with the water pipeline, and Wayne put me in charge of music. at 14 i set up the PA system when Balaguer made a visit for the Inauguration.

Wayne had lots of Jet Setter type friend he would invite, and i would get to talk with Actors, pilots, scuba with actresses, etc. it was great. Wayne Fuller produced a Movie, called "The Premonition".

I had no idea of all he went through though at the time, Gulf and Western was doing all they could to stop Dominucus Americana from advancing, Wayne had miles and miles of super white sand beaches, and a big chunk was taken away from him . this was all politics and business, and had nothing to do with conservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.