Environmental Police

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Today's DIARIO LIBRE publishes a full-page ad (on page 11) with the eye-catching graphics of two towering industrial smoke stacks spewing a sooty cloud in the shape of a skull. A caption reads:

THINK
A message from the Environmental Police and Diario Libre
For reports on the Environment call: 809-472-7707
from within the country (no charge): 1-809-200-2707

-

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I know someone that has been fighting the Jaragua Hotel for almost 2 years because of their planta stacks spewing smoke over the buildings and school behind it. Even the Diario Libre has covered the story a couple of times.

Guess what? Nothing has happened, nada!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Robert, can you get some pics to me? we'll put them on the blog. We got people from the power plants in PP emailing us after we posted Alan's pics of their smoke stacks. ;)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hotel Jaragua power plant contamination

If my memory doesn't fail, I believe this case went to court in late 2004, and Hotel Jaragua was ordered to turn off the contaminating generators, later there was an agreement of sorts with the neighbors.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, if they're still emitting and we can get current, dated pics to show that they didn't stop, let's post them and let the Jaragua try to explain it away...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chiri, I believe those pics were taken before the case was decided. I'm talking something more recent, that would show (if this is the case) that the problem continues

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Here's an idea -- if it is still going on, take the pics and superimpose the Environment Police's ad message over top them and post them.:cheeky:

And we could do that for air or water pollution pics regarding other well-known sources as well... :D

Then see how long the problems are or aren't ignored... :cheeky:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The fumes and particulates from the P.P. & Smith Enron are a continuing potential health problem. Every day my tiled decks & pool are covered with black dust. We must be inhaling this crap. I don't know the source of this stuff, or how to identify the culprit. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Canadian Bob.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
canadian bob said:
The fumes and particulates from the P.P. & Smith Enron are a continuing potential health problem. Every day my tiled decks & pool are covered with black dust. We must be inhaling this crap. I don't know the source of this stuff, or how to identify the culprit. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, Canadian Bob.

I thought you Canucks would be promoting the "Don't Snitch" T-shirts ;)

-

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Citizens arrest

Yesterday, a group of neighbors of El Higuero stopped two truck loads of trees headed for an unidentified public works project. The environmental police were called in and the culprits were arrested.

LISTIN DIARIO Digital Edition

-

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
on that same Listin Diario issue: Haitians cross dominican border and devastate dominican forest in Pedernales province, all for some ****ing charcoal
icon9.gif

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
on that sama Listin Diario issue: Haitians cross dominican border and devastate dominican forest in Pedernales province, all for some ****ing charcoal
icon9.gif

I know the region, and it's teeming with forestry and military personnel. The article gives the impression that a low level environmental field officer is trying to ride the media wave of anti-Haitian sentiment to win some points with the bosses sitting at their desks in Santo Domingo.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Could also be he's trying to limelight and issue not getting the attention it deserves.

Since you know the area very well, is the allegation that Haitians are devastating the forest on the Dominican side of the border well grounded?...It certainly is not the first time I've read about it:(

Last edited: