Intoxicated pilots

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Today the flight from Manchester to Chicago.... the pilot was pulled from his duties.

Just think what could have happened?

I give England's security high respect in this matter.

Now you have a pilot departing from the DR on any major airline that can buy his way to the cockpit, after no rules and regulations in the country.

To me that's scary.:paranoid:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What a nifty DR realted post. Oh wait, planes fly into the DR. Or all pilots are drunks, the DR has poor security therefore all pilots are going to be drunk in the cockpit exiting the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Rick, off our meds, are we? The guy is just wondering in his roundabout way if there are any controls here to handle a similar situation.

There probably are. Remember a few of those first incidents? Some time ago. Back then, nobody could imagine any pilot flying in less than perfect health and fitness. "This is your Captain, speaking....(Images of handsome, graying, virile, white, male, grandfatherly,hunk) our flight today..." Remember???

Then those two were taken off a flight?

Not DR related? MMMMMMMMM, okay...just a tad..

HB :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
ricktoronto said:
What a nifty DR realted post. Oh wait, planes fly into the DR. Or all pilots are drunks, the DR has poor security therefore all pilots are going to be drunk in the cockpit exiting the DR.

The availability in DR for alcohol consumption pretty much legally, then the availability of greenbacks if needed plays a big role in a Third World country.

Don't get me wrong, many things can stop him from boarding, flying..... the aircraft..... but it's more likely to pull strings in this environment.

Example, the stewardesses speak to the pilot one time.... because the copilot is his buddy and he knows to do all the talking.

Believe me it happens a lot more than what you think and especially with lack of security and buying your way.

BTW ... if you are in AA fan it was nothing against them.;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Not trying to be rhetorical....but good question

All flight crews that fly into the DR from Europe "layover" in the DR with a "fesh crew" taking that euipment back to it's destination in Europe. Often times but not always flights coming in from the eastern part of the US and Eastern Canada will also layover. Laying over means these crews will stay at a resort somewhere. While these crews are there the crews are at liberty to rest. However this doesn't mean that if they must fly out the next day resting would mean becoming intoxicated to the point where the alcohol hasn't oxidized yet. We are talking about human nature and pilot's have temptations just like all the rest of us I am sure. What they do while they are "resting" is something else. I have seen "resting" flight crews out partying using alcohol. However, I do not know if these crews are flying within the legal time limits. If they are not then it is their business what they do.

The OP's concern is this and I agree with him. I previously wrote "doubt" but corrected it to properly mean I "hope" that security personnel are looking for intoxicated flight crews. However, I am sure if the pilot/crew member is obviously "bombed out of his/her mind" they would stop him/her. This does raise a valid point. I will ask this question to the commandant of the F.A.D. (northern coast) when I am there next week.

Last edited: