Feast of the Goat movie

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The film of 'La fiesta del chivo' has had its premiere at the Berlin Film festival, according to this article in Clave Digital.

Does anyone know the date for general release? IMDB doesn't have this information. The original release date was September 2005, then it was postponed to December. And now?

Last edited:

ade

Jun 14, 2005
how can I see this film in the UK

Is it possible to see this and other DR films in the UK

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
authenticity of the book?

just finished reading the 550+ pages of the book. even though my spanish reading is bad, the book had me missing many hours of sleep within the last few days, unable to stop. I came across this book by chance, when looking to buy some Spanish lectura for my 3-week DR trip over the past New Year's. (Didnt get to read a page while I was there). I enjoyed Llosa's play with the scenes/eras, can't wait to see how they portrayed that in the movie. Maybe Quentino Tarantino should have directed - (no lack of blood and kill anyhow).

my question to those who know: how is Llosa' ratio of fact vs. fiction? I mean is this a biography of Urania Cabral or is her story added in to spice up the historic facts? (and for christ's sake is the Trujillo-era Balaguer the same guy that still ran for office in 2000 when Hippolito won - I was in SD on election day and remember vividly. He must have been what 94? ) and is it true the book is still not allowed for sales in the DR?

as to the release date of the movie, in Spain it started playing in theaters on March 3rd. I assume that from the exposure at the Berlinale, it will (hopefully)open in other countries throughout Europe soon. With Isabella Rosselini in the leading role I cannot believe the film doesn't get promoted more...

responsible for international sales is IAC films based in the UK.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The historical characters like Trujillo, Balaguer and the conspirators are real, but Urania and her father are fictional characters, added as you say to spice up the historical facts. Her father may be based on a real-life person, but if so, I don't know who he's meant to be. The story is a dramatisation of historical events.

It's the same Balaguer, yes.

The movie premiere was in Berlin last month, and if it's already on general release in Spain, the DR release date must be imminent.

The book is not banned in the DR - wherever did you hear that? It would be a good piece of hype for the film, but it's not the case.

Sep 20, 2003
The internet movie database message boards had an interesting post.

Someone on it claimed they downloaded it off the internet(illegally) and that it was the bloodiest film since Scarface.The poster said they liked the film.

Hhhhmmm. That is the closet I have read to a review of the film.

I'm surprised no one has posted anything on it. There have been many votes cast for the film(7.2 rating average)), but no written reviews the last time I checked. :ermm:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
joel pacheco said:
...Hhhhmmm. That is the closet I have read to a review of the film....QUOTE]

Joel, thanks for visiting my SD home during your last visit to the DR, and sharing with me and my family your boundless curiosity and enthusiasm for everything Trujillo.

By the way, I read in today's classified section of DIARIO LIBRE on line, the following add:

"Vendo reliquia Ford Mercury 1955, perfectas condiciones. Perteneci? a la Familia Trujillo, US$18.000. Tel: 809-714-8229."

Do you want me to call, and have the owner hold it for you?

-

-

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
The book is not banned in the DR; matter of fact, there was a book signing at Multicentro Churchill with Mario Vargas Llosa and he autographed it for me and my cousin ;) ..........

Sep 20, 2003
Mirador: I think I'll have to pass on the car.:cheeky:

I hope this is a good film. Having the opening of a film dragged out for this long makes me think that is not really very good at all. Perhaps they are having to do do reshoots and edits to make it score better with test audiences?

Just checked the Internet movie database. More people have been voting on it, still no reviews. The rating has dropped radically, to a 4.3 out of a possible 10.

Last edited:

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I think the post on IMBD is a fraud, the movie is not for download on any site!I haven't search or anything :speechles .....(Remember "kids" piracy is not cool!). I cannot wait for it, I just know it is not online.
I have high hopes for the film due to the cast Tomas Milian, Paul Freeman, Isabella Rosellini & of course the up & coming Stephanie Leonidas (loved her in MirrorMask), I do have some doubts, the director, he is not good and I'm not that happy to see Tomas Milian as Trujillo, he is a fine actor but come on he's too light/white to play Trujillo, skin color is wrong and does not look like him one bit, he seems to old to play Trujillo.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well Trujillo himself didnt chuck them off the cliffs, but Johnny Abbas's henchmen apparently did. Makes sense really. I dont know if I agree with the reviewer's characterization of Trujillo, which is a little sensationalistic. Psychopath? I think he was a very complicated figure, quite smart, quite the opportunist, ruthless -- but he had many precedents in Dominican history. Question is, was Balaguer the more Machiavellian of the two?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
macocael said:
Psychopath? QUOTE]

At least not at the beginning of his regime. According to my father, Trujillo was a regular kind of guy, and after receiving excessive praise and flattery from his fellow citizens, who bestoyed upon him titles like "Generalissimo", "Father of the New Fatherland", "Benefector of the Fatherland", and even changed the name of the capital city of Santo Domingo to "Ciudad Trujillo", he finally succumbed to megalomania. "Who wouldn't?

-

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yes, I would agree with you Mirador. But megalomania and psychopathy are two different things, unless the reviewer really didnt intend to say "psychopath" and merely meant something more along the lines you are suggesting. His summary of Trujillo was loose in the extreme. He was a fascinating personality in many ways, and I wish people would try to preserve that complexity in their portrayals. But what the heck, this was only a three or four paragraph film review!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
macocael said:
Yes, I would agree with you Mirador. But megalomania and psychopathy are two different things, unless the reviewer really didnt intend to say "psychopath" and merely meant something more along the lines you are suggesting. His summary of Trujillo was loose in the extreme. He was a fascinating personality in many ways, and I wish people would try to preserve that complexity in their portrayals. But what the heck, this was only a three or four paragraph film review!

Macocael, megalomania is a category of psychopathology, it is a form of insanity, a delusional mental disorder. Neither Trujillo the actor in Llosa?s movie, nor Trujillo himself in the real life drama, are true authors of the play. The true script was a product of the entire Dominican society of that time. Each and every element that gave rise, contributed, and sustained Trujillo?s regime (?La Era?) are the true playwrights. Only Dominicans can truly portray Trujillo. However, they will never do this, without acknowledging and accepting that Trujillo?s vices and virtues, errors and successes, his cruelty along with his magnanimity continue to reside to this day within the Dominican soul.

-

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wow, the review is over the top, and focuses more on re-telling the Trujillo story than on reviewing the film.

If the film is structured like the book, the review contains a major plot spoiler.