Any I.T. jobs out there?

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
I'm a recent grad with a ton of web and application development experience.. I'm a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to computers though, it's more fun that way. Are there I.T. jobs for an English speaking Canuck in DR?

EDIT: If anyone knows of an IT job in the DR, check out my resume at http://samsite.ca ;)

Last edited:

COROLLA24

Apr 11, 2004
community.webshots.com
forkbeard said:
I'm a recent grad with a ton of web and application development experience.. I'm a sort of jack of all trades when it comes to computers though, it's more fun that way. Are there I.T. jobs for an English speaking Canuck in DR?

EDIT: If anyone knows of an IT job in the DR, check out my resume at http://samsite.ca ;)

Hey there, how are you?
Where abouts are you looking for work? North Coast Puerto Plata or, South Coast Santo Domingo?

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
I'm not looking to get rich, I'm just looking for enough to support myself with. Also I'd probably be looking in or around Puerto Plata although nothing is exactly set in stone.

EDIT: sorry for the slow reply, had some computer troubles and needed to send the bugger in on warranty.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Jeepers, you'd hope an IT professional would have a contingency plan to fall back on if the computer didn't work.

Enough to survive might be a better way to look at potential earnings. Like a feral dog does.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hmmm...

An IT professional who takes more than a full week to get back on the Internet after a computer problem and has to rely on warrantee service...

Good thing I'm not hiring right now anyway.

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
Hey now, it's not like I had no internet or computer at all. I just didn't go to the DR1 forums. And yes, I did rely on warranty because this computer is a brand spanking new iMac. I'm not about to crack open a $2000 iMac, which by the way, provides no way to get into it without specialized tools that only Apple gives to it's lisenced repair folk. Plus, I still had my work computer.. I just make it a habit to avoid non-work-related stuff while I'm working.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey Forkbeard, these two posters also Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound (in their minds that is...) You may ignore them as I'm sure they're nice people in real life. ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Chris, you forgot to mention that I also look alot like Jim Morrison. (in my mind) one of these days I'm gonna get myself some leather pants and a heroin problem and the likeness will be undeniable.

No problem Forkbeard, like I said I can't afford a dedicated IT guy right now anyway, and if I could you would have to have pretty strong LAMP skills.

I would also have to be pretty well convinced you were better at something than me, which is pretty difficult ESPECIALLY if it happens to actually be the case.

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
Haha ok, well apart from you.. what's the market like in the rest of the DR?

And I actually do have quite good LAMP skills. That is, if by LAMP you're referring to Linux/Apache/MySql/PHP.. Too many acronyms in IT today...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Yes I'm talking about that.

Specifically sometime in the next few months I would need someone who could get one or several Asterisk servers running, either at my location or hosted and implement the ASTGUIClient suite over the top of that to create a 100% open source production call room with all the bells and whistles.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
BTW, general IT guys here do not make much money, for example 500 bucks a month would be alot to hope for as a general "company computer guy" job, of course competence always pays more and if you can actually develop working solutions in a cost-effective way in an environment where most people would be surprised to learn that you are actually supposed to pay MONEY for software (MS Office is not shareware) and that CPU's under 1GHZ are NOT current technology, that trying to run XP service pack two on a PIII350 with 128MB ram is a waste of time, the IExplorer is not supposed to open to that spyware page everytime etc. etc. you might be able to get more.

I think you are far, far better off contracting internationally from a laptop doing web design and light programming and trying to keep your geographical location from being an issue by staying connected.

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
Well I've got no experience with call-centre software but I'm no stranger to building fresh kernels from source and apps from CVS so after some general studying I'm sure it'd be no problem. ;)

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
Most months I'm living off $500 a month here in Canada.. I've tried the contracting internationally thing too but that has sort of flopped unless I'm missing out on some great contractor's resource.. As for cost effective solutions, I worked for a furniture manufacturer who had 3 ~400mhz celerons doing nothing and my boss wanted to set up the factory workers with e-mail so I brought in an Ubuntu disk from home and bought a keyboard. A factory of wired employees cost the company a grand total of $10 for the keyboard :p

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
forkbeard said:
Hey now, it's not like I had no internet or computer at all. I just didn't go to the DR1 forums. And yes, I did rely on warranty because this computer is a brand spanking new iMac. I'm not about to crack open a $2000 iMac, which by the way, provides no way to get into it without specialized tools that only Apple gives to it's lisenced repair folk. Plus, I still had my work computer.. I just make it a habit to avoid non-work-related stuff while I'm working.

Wow no internet cafes or computer rental places where you live? Amazing.

Actually I have 3 macs and you can open them with everyday tools, not that you should if under warranty.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
forkbeard said:
Most months I'm living off $500 a month here in Canada..

This sounds ridiculous, since you might as well be on welfare. $125 a week? Less than minimum wage?

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
I have an eMac that needs allen keys and old imacs that only need regular scredrivers but this new intel iMac has no exposed screws unless there's something simple I'm missing.. Haven't tried disassembling it yet and I certainly won't be trying for another 11months :p

I've been looking for apps or web dev jobs and working small contract jobs here and there to get rent paid and such. That's the problem though, no experience == no job.

forkbeard

Feb 15, 2006
True enough.. I'm not too concerned with opening it though.. like I said, 11 months of warranty :p Although, if doing something "simple" like swapping hard drives is any harder to do than it was with the eMac, no thanks.. I'd rather pay someone I can blame if something breaks.