Best Restaurant in Costambar

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Name: Cafe Negril
Reason: Great food, relaxed atmosphere, friendly owner, decent prices

Last week I ate one of the better meals I have had in the Dominican Republic. Surprisingly, it was in the small town of Costambar. When I told people about it, they thought it was an Italian restaurant. Although they have pasta dishes on the menu, I wouldn't consider it an Italian restaurant. Their specialties seem to be Sea Bass (prepared in a myriad of ways) and barbecued ribs.

I started out with the soup of the day which was New England Clam Chowder. NECC is one of my favorites and I would rate this one as excellent.

As a main course, I reluctantly ordered the Sea Bass in Saffron Sauce. I say reluctantly because the only fish I like is shellfish. I ordered the Sea Bass because I am trying to eat healthier, and it was one the dishes they are know for. It turns out it was so good, I ordered it the second night. I would say that it was one of the best pieces of fish I have had ANYWHERE in a long time.

The first night I was there, it was pastry night. They had Key Lime Pie. Since I am borderline Diabetic, it's not something I would normally order, but Mickey, the owner was so proud of it that he said we had to taste it. He was right, it was superb. My only regret was that they didn't have it on the second night.

All in all, it was a great experience.