Posada NOT Permitted To Participate In WBC By The Yankees!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
If I am not mistaken, I had mentioned that SOME teams would protect their investments and not let some of their players play at the WBC. I was told by some members that they could not do that. But...:

As of a few days, the Yankees stopped catcher Jorge Posada from playing for Puerto Rico.

So, can a player be stopped or not?. I guess that they can!.

Cleef?. Guys?.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Quagmire

Legally I doubt it, but who knows. It's an MLB sanctioned event, so I'm sure the fine print is disgusting to look at.

The Yankees have been the most outspoken critics of the whole event. As with anything, follow the money. They're putting out a $300 million product this year, and they don't have anything to replace Posada with.

I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult for any team to dissuade a player from participating. A simple breakdown of "risk vs. reward" would convince any sane individual to bow to their employers wishes.

I think the Yankees are right in asking/telling him not to participate. A catcher has the greatest responsibility (of all players) in spring training. He has to build a rapport with the pitchers, the importance of which can't be quantified.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Cleef said:
Legally I doubt it, but who knows. It's an MLB sanctioned event, so I'm sure the fine print is disgusting to look at.

The Yankees have been the most outspoken critics of the whole event. As with anything, follow the money. They're putting out a $300 million product this year, and they don't have anything to replace Posada with.

I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult for any team to dissuade a player from participating. A simple breakdown of "risk vs. reward" would convince any sane individual to bow to their employers wishes.

I think the Yankees are right in asking/telling him not to participate. A catcher has the greatest responsibility (of all players) in spring training. He has to build a rapport with the pitchers, the importance of which can't be quantified.
Actually, they are doing it legally. Posada is not happy about it but, oh well.

Trust me, if you or I were the ones investing 300 millions, we would "fight" till no end to see that our investment is not at risk of any injuries. Since they are the most expensive team, they have the most to "pay" if one of their players get hurt.

I believe that soon, MOST teams, if not all, will be writting a clause into a player's contract in case they want to play in the WBC. I think that, as time passes by, you will see less and less "superstars" playing in the event.

Let's wait and see.

Btw, later today, I will post the USA team players. Let me tall you that before I saw the player's names, I thought that the DR's team had a NO chance in hell, but after seeing the lineup, the DR, I guess, has a chance, maybe.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:
I believe that soon, MOST teams, if not all, will be writting a clause into a player's contract in case they want to play in the WBC. I think that, as time passes by, you will see less and less "superstars" playing in the event.
They'd have to change the tournament rules. Currently if a team wants to exclude a payer from playing, they must petition the Commissioners Office and (possibly or) the Players Association.

I was kinda thinking it might have the reverse effect. If the WBC becomes popular, players may avoid signing contracts with teams that try to exclude their players from playing. Of course the odds of the WBC becoming that popular is small.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I hope that these two players do NOT get hurt. These two players are the leaders of the Red Sox!!! :bunny: :classic:

nyfkuf.jpg

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Manny Never...

Gets hurt. Ortiz is another story. Besides, did they both make the final 30 roster? WBC site is very slow in updating the rosters.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que?

Potato_Salad said:
I hope that these two players do NOT get hurt. These two players are the leaders of the Red Sox!!! :bunny: :classic:
What 2 players are you talking about, Koreanito?.

Like Hector Lavoe would say: "te estas fumando las cascaras de guineo otra vez?".

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:
What 2 players are you talking about, Koreanito?.

Like Hector Lavoe would say: "te estas fumando las cascaras de guineo otra vez?".

Hola Miguel :)

How have you been?

I am referring to Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. :bunny: ;)

Have a nice weekend!!!