Rob!! Here's one for you!

alanflamenco

Jan 2, 2006
All 'foreign' drivers licences are valid in the UK for one year from last date of entry, after 12 months continuous stay the holder must apply for a UK licence.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I was in Spain and Germany over Christmas and New Year and was told that a Dominican drivers license is not valid in Europe.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
mido said:
I was in Spain and Germany over Christmas and New Year and was told that a Dominican drivers license is not valid in Europe.
I drove all over south of spain with my dom driver's license. Yikexxxxx, I didn't know it was invalid. So what do the dominican business men do when they are in spain? They can't rent cars?
Other question: is dom driver's license valid in USA?
For how many days?
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB said:
I drove all over south of spain with my dom driver's license. Yikexxxxx, I didn't know it was invalid. So what do the dominican business men do when they are in spain?
They probably have an International Drivers License.
AZB said:
Other question: is dom driver's license valid in USA?
For how many days?
Yes, although it may depend on the individual state. For NJ, I believe it's 30 days.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would not put my trust on these guys until further research is done on your own, but consider this a start!

http://www.passportsplus.com/idp.html

I hope I have helped someone, unless you're going to Honduras! I don't know why, but Honduran officials won't accept an IDP!;)

-NALs

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dominican driver's licenses are valid to rent cars in the United States, France, Italy, Portugal and Spain. I know because I have used mine to rent cars in those countries and it is a valid Dominican license.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quite right. I haven't bothered to have my European licence reissued since it was stolen. Both Mr C and I have driven legally in Spain, Gibraltar and the UK with our DR licences every time we've visited.

Maybe someone should tell them you don't actually have to know how to drive to get one.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Sweet! Thanks for the info ... it seemed a little fishy when I read on the various websites that you can drive in the UK with a DR license (most licenses for that matter) if it is valid for 12 months after your entry to the UK.

Time to go buy a license LOL

Stay well,
Amy

Last edited: