Need Accountant for US Income Taxes

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I have a great CPA/tax attorney, Jane Bruno. She worked previously for the IRS, has lived overseas so she knows what it's like, and does what she does quickly and accurately. She has written a book about expat taxes which was also very useful to me.

She lives in Southern Florida, which has never been an obstacle to me. I simply Fed-Ex the things she needs to get going, and when I have had any questions, she has responded to e-mails immediately. When she finishes, she Fed-Ex's it back to me to sign and submit to the IRS. I have used her for about 6 years, she has been fantastic, and her rates are reasonable to me.

Her e-mail address is either: jabruno@mindspring.com or janebruno@adelphia.net, or you can call her Florida cell # (561) 222-9273.

She also has a website at: www.americantaxhelp.com

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
I simply Fed-Ex the things she needs to get going, and when I have had any questions, she has responded to e-mails immediately. When she finishes, she Fed-Ex's it back to me to sign and submit to the IRS. I have used her for about 6 years, she has been fantastic, and her rates are reasonable to me.
These days with email and electronic filing, you don't need Fed Ex. Just scan all your documents, email them, file electronically with direct deposit, and have your accountant email back the filed documents. I might be wrong, but I don't believe there a need to sign anything for your federal filings.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
One can e-mail all of your tax information to the accountant and back, as long as you have no problem with laying out your financial guts on God-knows-how-many servers between the two of you. E-mail isn't secure, and neither are the e-mail servers.

Personally, I prefer to pay another $50 for a couple of express packages and do it the old-fashioned way. And I never receive a refund.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
File on line

Today there are a number of companies that work with the IRS so that you can file your taxes on line. You do not have to mail anything in nor do you have to sign the return.

If you go to the www.irs.gov site, it will give you a list of companies that help you to file on line.

JRR

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Unfortunately, there aren't many tax preparers who REALLY understand foreign-based income tax returns. I went through a couple of painful learning lessons with 2 other CPA's in Miami. They both said they understood foreign returns, but really didn't, and I had to file amended returns, etc. Even my old reliable H & R Block lady with 35 years of doing tax returns told me to find someone good, and then I did - Jane.

When you have foreign income, and use the Foreign-earned income exclusion to file, you end up filing about twice as many documents, to pay little or no tax. It somehow makes sense to the government, but to no one else.