Hb Necessary To Change Your Name

ECH714

Mar 12, 2003
We Have African Americans
We Have Native Americans

Just Got The Word Hillbilly....
we Are No Longer To Be Called Hillbillies......we Are

Appalician Americans....

Guess That Means THEY THINK We Got Class And WE Have To Wear Shoes Now!;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
ECH714 said:
We Have Native Americans

Appalician Americans....

If you are going make such a colorful and waste of time non funny post, it will be (marginally) more amusing if you actually spelled Appalachian right.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
ECH< I think we oughta tar and feather this feller...

He's a Kanuk, after all, so's you gotta fergiv the guy..

You're darn tootin' we got class, schitt, I just changed my undies this month!!

HB :D:D:D

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ricktoronto said:
If you are going make such a colorful and waste of time non funny post, it will be (marginally) more amusing if you actually spelled Appalachian right.

The hillbilly's spell it wrong... I thought it was funny...

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
ECH714 said:
We Have Native Americans

Appalician Americans....

Was this suppose to be funny?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it was....and it was also somewhat "politically insensitive" , so what?

Since it is true that many of the first settlers in the "Appalachians" were forcefully removed from England and Scotland and sent to the, then, New World as indentured servents--as were many of the first Africans--Chinese, Italians and others....and that is their clam to use the hyphenated, so why not have some fun and call ourselves "Appalachian-Americans" and poke a bit of fun at all of this political correctness??? The way I see it, we are either Americans or not. Fifty years ago, there was nary a mention of Italian-, German- or African-Americans.

And our right to call ourselves "Americans" stems from the fact that the United States was the first independent nation in the Americas and took the name, which galls the schitt outta a lotta people, too. So what? The United States of Mexico has Mexicans, the United States of Brazil has Brazilians and the United States of America has Americans...

Cool it people, it IS funny to us hillbillies....

HB :D:D:D:D

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Almost heaven, West Viginia.......

Hillbilly said:
ECH< I think we oughta tar and feather this feller...

He's a Kanuk, after all, so's you gotta fergiv the guy..

You're darn tootin' we got class, schitt, I just changed my undies this month!!

Hillbilly, yer too darn funny fella. I'm on yer side even if you hail from the mountain state! Heeeehaw!!

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Hillbilly, since it seems that you are one who is regarded as being very knowledgable and intelligent (an assumption with which I would agree), I'm a bit taken aback by your response. I think the real issue (it certainly is for me) is the implication that because these two ethnicities have adopted the hyphenated "American", that such adoption grants us class.

I don't pretend to speak for anyone but myself, but coming from someone who is "Native" American, I can tell you that most of the people I know within this ethnic group actually prefer to refer to themselves as either American Indian or simply Native. At least that is the impression I've received during discussions that I"ve had at various Pow Wows that I've attended over the years, as well as within my own community. And, I can assure you that we do not equate Americanism with class as we are all aware that there are many "Americans" who are classless, irrespective of there ethnic origins.

I agree, I could care less for the political correctness that seems to permeate our society. But, I think the intent and purpose of the OP's comments go beyond the issue of political correctness. True, we are either Americans or we're not. But, I guess the question that lingers in my mind is why it is that when those of us who are ethnic seek to identify with our Americanness, as have so many before us, it becomes a matter of political correctness.

And, finally, I don't think I'll ever figure out what the thread has to do with the DR.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When A "Hillbilly" Changes His Underware,He Really Just;

Turns the back to the front for a few weeks!

As far as the "DR Related" goes,that is all "SOME" Moderators do,

"Not DR Related,Canceled!"
I prefer to take every post on it's owm merrits!

Of which this thread really has only TWO!

One,"Hillbilly Emeritus" gets to post as he pleezes!
Jack "Q", Put up some really fantastic items on the DR1 Kid's Auction,and I got the gift certificate to "Foxwood's" for my son and his girlfriend for 1/2 price!
"That" makes it "DR RELATED" enough to me!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Cool it people, it IS funny to us hillbillies....

HB :D:D:D:D

Yes, it is! At least to people who come from my neck of the woods.

As much as I talk about Dominicans being superstitious, hillbillies are worse. Dominicans may think that we'll die if we open the refrigerator door while we're sweating but some of the hill people are still injuring their babies internally when they think they're "liver growed".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is funny, I have been thinking of this thread for about a day now. It sort of sticks in my mind.

I could probably turn this into something really DR related, since Americo Vespucci, who gave us the name of "Americans" went through here.

Jack--I know I have a bit of Cherokee in me, and probably a bit of Mayan--so don't take offense (it wasn't me that mentioned 'Native Americans'), but I have given this a bit of thought and have decided that I will no longer call any tribal personage by other than the name First Americans.

Why? Well, first off, they are not "Indians," we know that was a misnomer.
And second, they are not really "native" since, like all the rest, they are descendants of immigrants.

So please allow me to respectively call tribal members, First Americans, it seems more appropriate.

HB :D:D

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Hillbilly said:
It is funny, I have been thinking of this thread for about a day now. It sort of sticks in my mind.

I could probably turn this into something really DR related, since Americo Vespucci, who gave us the name of "Americans" went through here.

Jack--I know I have a bit of Cherokee in me, and probably a bit of Mayan--so don't take offense (it wasn't me that mentioned 'Native Americans'), but I have given this a bit of thought and have decided that I will no longer call any tribal personage by other than the name First Americans.

Why? Well, first off, they are not "Indians," we know that was a misnomer.
And second, they are not really "native" since, like all the rest, they are descendants of immigrants.

So please allow me to respectively call tribal members, First Americans, it seems more appropriate.

HB :D:D

Respectfully accepted, and you are absolutely correct.

Two questions that I've always had about history is: how do you define it, and who gets to define it, particularly when you reference back hundreds and thousands of years?

Interesting to note that you might be part Mayan and Cherokee. Sounds like you might be from good stock after all. LOL.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
HB, I was just driving thru West (By God!) Virginia last night from St. Louis.................I don't suggest going too fast on I-64 at night, even though it's fun to drive on a mountain road with no guard-rails :D :D ...............and I was not aware that Charleston was such a big city. it took me more than 45 minutes to go thru it.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Jon S. said:
HB, I was just driving thru West (By God!) Virginia last night from St. Louis.................I don't suggest going too fast on I-64 at night, even though it's fun to drive on a mountain road with no guard-rails :D :D ...............and I was not aware that Charleston was such a big city. it took me more than 45 minutes to go thru it.

Yes, Charleston is gorgeous! If you ever have a chance, make that drive from STL to the east during the autumn months - absolutely breathtaking.

But man, oh man is it ever a long drive! I recall the portion on I-64 being something like 600 miles.

Louisville is also a very beautiful city.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two big scores for West (by God!) Virginia! Thanks folks~~that was nice.

WVa in the fall is one of the most gorgeous of places...Almost as beautiful as Jarabacoa in the winter with the mist falling along the second and third holes of the golf course. And we should all take a look at the area around R?o Limpio out near the frontier, it is like the mountains of Georgia or North Carolina...

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
sunshine_79 said:
Yes, Charleston is gorgeous! If you ever have a chance, make that drive from STL to the east during the autumn months - absolutely breathtaking.

But man, oh man is it ever a long drive! I recall the portion on I-64 being something like 600 miles.

Louisville is also a very beautiful city.

Yes it was, a beeautiful city to look at, up in the mountains. It was like a real big valley between the mountains. I don't think I'll be making another drive to St. Louis anytime soon, too long of a drive and it was only for 4 days on this trip. It's actually 917 miles to St Louis but we cut it down to 13 hours from here in Yorktown. But yeah, I'll definitely go up there and pass thru Louisville in the future, I've got friends from there. Imagine that, a Dominican in West Virginia and Kentucky :p :p !!! Wait, that's me :cheeky: ........

oh yeah, yall should visit Fast Eddie's in Alton Illinois, just get off I-70 and get on 364 and go to Alton. I got trashed over there on Sunday night ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
What's this? Take me home, Country Roads! Just joking, that is wonderfully beautiful country up there. Just a pity no-one could understand me. When I travelled there, one old fellow offered to swop me a 3 dollar note for some currency from my home country.... He was serious too! Luckily I did not understand him too well either... ;)

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Jon S. said:
Imagine that, a Dominican in West Virginia and Kentucky :p :p !!!

Just watch out for men on dirtbikes!

And also for the ones who tell you you have a purdy mouth.

(Fade to Dueling Banjos...)

And congrats for making it out of STL in one piece - that place is getting dangerous, especially on the Illinois side. I got mugged last year after the Big Game. Go Tarheels!!

If you really want some good old Missouri (or as we say, Missoura) hospitality, head down to Springfield/Branson. Beautiful country, nice folks and lots of pretty country girls who love nothing more than a hot man in a uniform!