importing classic cars?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i know there is a restriction on cars older than 5 years, but is there an exception on classis cars? say older that 20 years or something? i'm asking because here in Ontario cars older than 20 years have "antique" or "collector" car status. thanks.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'll keep this thread alive in hopes that someone has the answer. I also have a 50 year old British roadster that I would like to bring with me some day.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
JDJones said:
Ah yes, British Roadsters.. What do you have?
Brings back memories of my days of buying and restoring the little monsters..
I've rebuilt various Triumph TR-3a's, TR250, Spitfires, a Stag, TR-6, GT-6, Austin Healey MK3, MGB's, A sunbeam Tiger, and ugh, what else.....
I'm glad I can't get parts for those things here easily. That broke me of a nasty, $$ consuming habit...

I have a 1954 MGTF, it would be perfect for the island.

Perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but I get my parts from Moss motors, they will ship anywhere.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Myself

DEV said:
A sherman Tank WITH a Train horn.

DEV

Always liked the idea of a state sand truck with a vee snow blade! would be just the thing for Motorcycles, publico's and traffic jams:bunny:

Sep 19, 2005
bienamor said:
Always liked the idea of a state sand truck with a vee snow blade! would be just the thing for Motorcycles, publico's and traffic jams:bunny:

even with that awesome front end.....it just wouldnt be DOMINICAN now would it if it didnt have a mega horm.....an automatic one at that...every 30 seconds weather its needed or not!

well i am wanting to hear about the probability of bringing in an older vehicle...if that answer is frothcoming

I wonder if it is to make people buy new vehicles here in stead of buying over seas and shipping.... because many cars are not even paid for in 3 or 4 years..... so the car still needs to be paid off, and then you get hit with the heavy tax..........

where as an older car you already own....you could ship and just pay the tax alone......much better than buying another here at total cost.

bob

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I was in Sosua a couple of weeks ago and saw a 1955 chevy pickup that was in decent shape.
I could tell it spend most of its life in the states...maybe you could track down the owner and find out some info.
It is usually parked in the vacant lot on Pedro Clisante near all the bars.

It is light blue in colour with aftermarket rims on it.
Hifiman

Sep 19, 2005
CyaBye3015 said:
I'll keep this thread alive in hopes that someone has the answer. I also have a 50 year old British roadster that I would like to bring with me some day.

a few months ago a gu asked about british sports bars in the DR

I THOUGHT I read british sports CARS.. and replied that i had seen two MG on my recent trips to the dr!!!!!!!

ha ha ha

now an older Vette.....that will get my attention

bob

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
I am also interested in reading an answer to the original question.

BTW, last weekend they had an antique auto show in Puerto Rico.

There were many classic cars from Dominican Rep., including a limousine
(guess was 1957 Cadillac) owned by el "jefe", Trujillo.

mpctdes

Mar 11, 2006
I went to the main office of Aduanas in Santo Domingo to inquire about importing a classic car. They told me that since this vehicle (a chevrolet) was not on their import duty list, they would have to charge me as if it were a NEW vehicle.... or, I could use a lawyer to arrange the import. What thieves !!! These people never cease to amaze me.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
mpctdes said:
I went to the main office of Aduanas in Santo Domingo to inquire about importing a classic car. They told me that since this vehicle (a chevrolet) was not on their import duty list, they would have to charge me as if it were a NEW vehicle.... or, I could use a lawyer to arrange the import. What thieves !!! These people never cease to amaze me.
Can you let it be taxed on the original cateloge price?

Greetings

Johan

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
hifiman said:
I was in Sosua a couple of weeks ago and saw a 1955 chevy pickup that was in decent shape.
I could tell it spend most of its life in the states...maybe you could track down the owner and find out some info.
It is usually parked in the vacant lot on Pedro Clisante near all the bars.

It is light blue in colour with aftermarket rims on it.
Hifiman

Someboby must have the answer!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It assume it belongs to someone in "The Property Center", I have seen it parked there.
#2 Calle Alejo Martinez, El Batey

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
liam1 said:
i know there is a restriction on cars older than 5 years, but is there an exception on classis cars? say older that 20 years or something? i'm asking because here in Ontario cars older than 20 years have "antique" or "collector" car status. thanks.

I know somebody at customs and he told me that a vehicule from 1950 to 1976 it's considered a "classic" and from 1890- 1949 it's considered an "antique", they always get into the country through an authorization form the Customs's General Director

NYDR

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Situation Hopeless ! !

I tried to import a 12 year old Mercedes, custom designed, which I had picked up @ the factory in Germany in 1985, & used for 12 years; I went around & around with various customs brokers in POP.
* The DR Customs has a large book, detailing the current fair market value [by Dominican standards] of all cars sold in the past 5 years. Older than 5 years? There is no data! It is forbidden!
* When I explained, or tried to explain, the unusal circumstances with classic cars, I was told that I could import my "classic car", & find out what the duty was only after it physically arrived; then if I thought the duty was to much, I could pay 1/2 of the duty that Customs decided was appropriate; Customs would then "allow" me to ship it back to the USA - at my expense.
* I politely declined this absurd proposal.
* At the same time I also owned a 1974 E-type Jaguar, V-12, convertible! I didn't even bother! Easier to sell it & pocket the $ - which I regretfully did
* editorial comments: 1. why do Dominicans not understand why wealthy foreigners prefer to live in Mexico or Costa Rica. My little tale is 'Exhibit A'.
2. Excpet for Santo Domingo, I don't know any part of the DR where a British [or non British] sports car makes any sense whatsoever! For a number of good reasons; I've been here 9 years now. The DR bears little resemblance to the UK!
* I simply gave up; I storngly suspect that you will do the same.

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
So, are there any ways to get a ,for example, 1997 Pontiac Grand Am, or a 1992 Chevrolet Silverado pickup into the DR that anybody knows of? Are their inspections that can be done on the vehilce, for example, that would allow it to be brought into the country? If someone is relocating/moving to the DR, for example, does that provide for an exception? Are there special car-import lawers? Is it just impossible? What?

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
I hope there is a way, although it doesn't sound too good from what I have gathered so far. When I retire to the D.R. in a few years I would like to take my Jeep with me, but when I retire the car will be 9 years old.

HDCarl

Liftscoop

Jun 22, 2016
I think they amended the law to allow cars up to 7 years old recently, though I know I've seen classic (American) cars over there so there must be some way. I've worked with this company in the past to ship international https://www.a1autotransport.com/info/classic-car-transport.php (but not to DR) and they knew what they were doing. I'd always be cautious about finding information about this online though. I would probably go through an official government channel to get a verified answer and then cross-check that with the company I'm considering. The bigger concern might be the engine displacement limits in DR since classic cars tend to have larger engines.