Chase Utley
Mark Teixeira
--------------
Catchers:

Jason Varitek
Brian Schneider
Michael Barrett
-----------------

With this roster, the Dominican team has a much better chance.

I still think that the US is the team to beat!.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hi Miguel, how have you been? :)

I would love to see a finals showdown between the Dominican Republic and the United States. :bunny: :classic:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
The DR is toast already. Venezuela already beat them on a "fielding" mishap.

Now with all that firepower, Pedro's trying to back out, Manny's not playing, a few others have dropped out. Just wait until Bartolo Colon and the rest of the limited pitching pulls out as well. Maybe Big Papi can pitch for them. LOL!!!

As stated before, the DR probably won't get by Venezuela, much less face the USA. Getting to the USA is a pipe dream.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
toneloc24 said:
As stated before, the DR probably won't get by Venezuela, much less face the USA. Getting to the USA is a pipe dream.
I'm not sure they have to get by Venezuela. If I understand correctly (which I probably don't), the two best from each Pool advance to round 2. (There's no way that either Australia or Italy is going to advance to round 2). Then they reform pools, so it's possible that Cuba could knock off Venezuela in round 2.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
SKY said:
The D.R. is the favorite with bookmakers to win. Go to this link and click on Baseball, 2006 Classic, odds to win.

If you doubt this, you can get 100-175 with the U.S.

The more I read, the more I doubt DR's chances. Now it looks like Manny won't be playing in the Classic. Pedro is still doubtful because of that big toe thing!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
SKY said:
The D.R. is the favorite with bookmakers to win. Go to this link and click on Baseball, 2006 Classic, odds to win.

If you doubt this, you can get 100-175 with the U.S.

Where's the link??????

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
rellosk said:
I'm not sure they have to get by Venezuela. If I understand correctly (which I probably don't), the two best from each Pool advance to round 2. (There's no way that either Australia or Italy is going to advance to round 2). Then they reform pools, so it's possible that Cuba could knock off Venezuela in round 2.

Venezuela will be "the" thorn in the DR's chances. They gotta face them in the 1st round. Then, if both teams advance, they still have to face them in the 2nd round.

Keep this in mind, as shown when both countries recently faced off, the DR's pitching is already shaky as is their defense and willingness to play small ball. In the 2nd, the DR will be ripe for upset against Venezuela, Cuba, or Puerto Rico. I really don't think the DR's "A" team will change any of that.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DRPAWA said:
The more I read, the more I doubt DR's chances. Now it looks like Manny won't be playing in the Classic. Pedro is still doubtful because of that big toe thing!

Pedro said that he will pitch in the second round of the tourament. But who knows? I guess we shall see.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Tostoda?

toneloc24 said:
The DR is toast already. Venezuela already beat them on a "fielding" mishap.

Now with all that firepower, Pedro's trying to back out, Manny's not playing, a few others have dropped out. Just wait until Bartolo Colon and the rest of the limited pitching pulls out as well. Maybe Big Papi can pitch for them. LOL!!!

Toast is not the word.

I will say it again, within time, this tournament will be nothing more than a joke. Players are already dropping like flies and owners are forcing their players to drop out. Soon we WILL see clauses on players contracts not allowing them to play.

Is bad enough that owners have to worry about what their "investments" are doing in the off season, now they have to worry about their "investments" getting hurt playing for bragging rights.

How soon do we forget what happened to Bobby Ojeda and Aaron Boone, especially to Boone since he lost all those millions. Oh boy!.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:
Toast is not the word.

I will say it again, within time, this tournament will be nothing more than a joke. Players are already dropping like flies and owners are forcing their players to drop out. Soon we WILL see clauses on players contracts not allowing them to play.

Is bad enough that owners have to worry about what their "investments" are doing in the off season, now they have to worry about their "investments" getting hurt playing for bragging rights.

How soon do we forget what happened to Bobby Ojeda and Aaron Boone, especially to Boone since he lost all those millions. Oh boy!.

Very good points Miguel. :)

Not only did Boone lose millions, but also Boone got hurt less than a month before Spring Training began. So the Yankees GM, Cashman had to make tons of phone calls to try and make a last-second trade so that he can have a 3rd baseman by the time Spring Training began.

For example, if "Big Pappi" David Ortiz gets hurt during the tournament, then I am going to have a heart attack. And the Red Sox GM will not only be upset, but I'm sure he will have a heart attack as well.

A lot of stars are pulling out of the tournament.

Nomar will not be playing for Mexico.

Wang has decided not to play for Taiwan.

Matsui has decided not to play for Japan.

Manny being Manny. :bunny:

In Korea, this tournament means "very little" to us. Because we are a soccer crazy country. So in the sports news, around 60% is about the upcoming World Cup Soccer tournament in Germany.

Around 30% is about the Winter Games. And the remaining 10% is about some hot super model and other sports related issues and events.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Leadership Vs. Selfishness

If only the Dominican team to be had a leader with a voice (Tejada, where are you?) who can get these guys to understand the magnitude of what it means not just to represent your country in this tournament, but to potentially make a mark for the Dominicans in the very first tournament. But when you have guys like Manny who are seemingly selfish what can you expect? How else to explain this fiasco of needing to arrive late to training camp after you've been off for 4 months! Look at Tejada who busts his butt every winter playing in DR! Now that's a man.

Manny's selfishness probably stems from the limited amount of matter between his ears. It shouldn't be A-Rod who gets bashed in these threads, it should be Manny. Someone in the WBC thread indicated that Manny probably can't even tell you who plays left field for his team - an indication of how little he cares or understand anything but his immature ghetto BS. I used to like Manny.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
DRPAWA said:
If only the Dominican team to be had a leader with a voice (Tejada, where are you?) who can get these guys to understand the magnitude of what it means not just to represent your country in this tournament, but to potentially make a mark for the Dominicans in the very first tournament. But when you have guys like Manny who are seemingly selfish what can you expect? How else to explain this fiasco of needing to arrive late to training camp after you've been off for 4 months! Look at Tejada who busts his butt every winter playing in DR! Now that's a man.

Manny's selfishness probably stems from the limited amount of matter between his ears. It shouldn't be A-Rod who gets bashed in these threads, it should be Manny. Someone in the WBC thread indicated that Manny probably can't even tell you who plays left field for his team - an indication of how little he cares or understand anything but his immature ghetto BS. I used to like Manny.

Its nice that you mention Tejada. I like him a lot as well. After Giambi left Oakland for the Yankees, Tejada kept the Oakland A's competitive.

The Red Sox tried to trade Manny to Baltimore for Tejada. But Baltimore said "No".

As for Manny, I wonder where he is. The guy is a mystery. lol

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I do respect Tejada on the field. He's right up there at the top. However, this past off-season??? What was up with that? Trying to force a trade?

Yeah, I heard his reasons, BUT if wasn't as if the Orioles were not trying to improve their team. People just wasn't convinced. Tejada, if he really was serious, SHOULD have been campaigning and recruiting, just as the Yankees all do (ARod, Damon, etc.), every off-season, and the Red Sox as well. The stars active try to help out their teams. Instead, he was probably playing winter ball in the DR. Selfish? Maybe.

Now for the next 6 months, he's stuck with the same team. If he's a leader, he would point the blame at himself. He should be a leader, he has all the make-up to be one, but he's not quite there yet.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:
I will say it again, within time, this tournament will be nothing more than a joke.
I hope your wrong. My feeling is that it will never achieve the status of the WS or the Soccer World Cup, but that it will provide for some interesting competitive baseball in March. That will give us a taste for the MLB season.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me too!

rellosk said:
I hope your wrong. My feeling is that it will never achieve the status of the WS or the Soccer World Cup, but that it will provide for some interesting competitive baseball in March. That will give us a taste for the MLB season.
I hope that I am wrong also. But:

It's beginning to be like I have been saying: a joke. Why am I saying it now:

Because not only players are dropping like flies, EVEN a manager "dropped".

Panama's Roberto Kelly, a former Yankees player, quit as Panama's manager because of lack of support from "baseball people" in Panama.

The odds are turning to my favor.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
miguel said:
Panama's Roberto Kelly, a former Yankees player, quit as Panama's manager because of lack of support from "baseball people" in Panama.
That's bad when a manager quits.

BTW, when did he go back to being called Roberto. Remember when he wanted to be call Bobby?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
miguel said:
I hope that I am wrong also. But:

It's beginning to be like I have been saying: a joke. Why am I saying it now:

Because not only players are dropping like flies, EVEN a manager "dropped".

The odds are turning to my favor.

That's sad.

If Kelly is quitting because of "lack of support" then the Korean manager would have quitted already.

No Matsui, No Wang, No Manny (Where is he?!? :bunny: ), etc.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
toneloc24 said:
I do respect Tejada on the field. He's right up there at the top. However, this past off-season??? What was up with that? Trying to force a trade?

Yeah, I heard his reasons, BUT if wasn't as if the Orioles were not trying to improve their team. People just wasn't convinced. Tejada, if he really was serious, SHOULD have been campaigning and recruiting, just as the Yankees all do (ARod, Damon, etc.), every off-season, and the Red Sox as well. The stars active try to help out their teams. Instead, he was probably playing winter ball in the DR. Selfish? Maybe.

Now for the next 6 months, he's stuck with the same team. If he's a leader, he would point the blame at himself. He should be a leader, he has all the make-up to be one, but he's not quite there yet.

Tejada may have been a bit too upset with his team. After all, he is stuck in the competitive A.L. East division with the Yankees and Red Sox.

Not only that, but the Toronto Blue Jays signed B.J. Ryan, A.J. Burnett, and Bengie Molina. And the Blue Jays picked up Overbay and Glaus. So the Blue Jays will be an even better team.

Tejada did apologize to his teammates and coach. So its time for him to put all of that aside and play ball.