Work from laptop in DR?

ChasingtheSun

Feb 20, 2006
I work 100% from my laptop and would like to spend 1 month in Sosua and/or Samana but I need to work as well. I see lots of affordable rooms for rent in those areas however I require reliable internet access either at my apartment, wifi spot somewhere, or an internet cafe. Will this be difficult? Would love to spend some real quality time in DR but I need reliable internet as well.

Thanks

Dylan

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ChasingtheSun said:
I work 100% from my laptop and would like to spend 1 month in Sosua and/or Samana but I need to work as well. I see lots of affordable rooms for rent in those areas however I require reliable internet access either at my apartment, wifi spot somewhere, or an internet cafe. Will this be difficult? Would love to spend some real quality time in DR but I need reliable internet as well.

Thanks

Dylan
Rocky's in Sosua has wifi as well as rooms and condos for rent.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a good internet cafe in Samana, but you will have far more options in Sosua.

ChasingtheSun

Feb 20, 2006
Anybody know if a Verizon wireless card for internet works in DR? Basically a card you slide into your pc and it connects to the network...hopefully.

Thanks ;-)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ChasingtheSun said:
Anybody know if a Verizon wireless card for internet works in DR? Basically a card you slide into your pc and it connects to the network...hopefully.

Thanks ;-)

We've had mixed results with both Verizon and Orange. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It is in any event too frustrating for commercial work. For the odd bit of surfing and e-mail, one can live with the off-again-on-again conditions, but to actually use it for work - I don't think so - the reliability and consistency is just not there.

In your shoes, I would make real good friends with Marco at Rockys. He has saved us out of a pickle or two many times, and we have more connectivity that most. Somehow Marco keeps his system up with Verizon Flash, reliably and consistently.

Also, you can have coffee when you want.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Dylan,

I wish you a great month! I just did exactly what you're describing -- worked on my laptop for the month of Jan from Sosua. It was fabulous. I needed to make/receive calls too, so brought along Vonage. I had a DSL connection and wireless router in the condo so it was a breeze. After a couple days I decided it would be nice to have a printer, so I bought an inkjet for about US$50. The one thing that's critical, even with a backup generator, is a small UPS, since power frequently goes off. Sure, your laptop will switch to battery, but the cable modem and router will cut out right in the middle of something important. If they don't already have one where you're staying, you can buy a UPS in town.

Enjoy your month, you lucky dog.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In case you still have any doubts, you can hook up here to Wifi and plug in to the AC as well.
We have a reliable DSL line, approx 350 kbps, and it's free, of course.