Traveling to Punta Cana next weekend....couple questions

fitnesste

Feb 22, 2006
Hey everyone! I will be going to the DR ( Punta Cana ) for the first time with my boyfriend next weekend. We are going to Secrets Excellence. I have heard good reviews on the resort. Has anyone been there? Also my boyfriend has a passport but I do not. I have my birth certificate and photo id ( lisence ) Will this cause any problems? We booked transportation to the resort with Amstar. Which is an expensive way to go but I thought more secure then finding a cab when we got there. We have are own roundtrip shuttle van. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Is retrieving your luggage at the airport easy?

ice51

Feb 28, 2006
From what I've read you should be ok with your Birth Certificate and Photo ID as long as the Birth Certificate has an 'official seal' or 'raised seal' on it and the name matches your photo ID. (Aka, if you've gotten married and changed your name you'd also need an official 'raised seal' marrige certificate that explains the name difference on the driver's id.)

This is true for US traverlers until December 31st 2006, at which point a new State Department / Homeland Security law goes into effect requireing all US travelers to the caribean to have a valid US Passport.

We're planning on leaving March 8th from Charlotte, NC and are using documents because we were unable to get passports in time.
I also contacted US Airways vacations to ensure the documents we had would be enough.

Hope this helps.
-Hank

ice51

Feb 28, 2006
just as a follow-up, my wife's official birth certificate from USA-VA has a watermark versus an imprinted 'seal' in the traditional sence. I contacted VA and they explained that the watermark is the part that makes it 'official' (aside from the fact that it says its an 'official certified document'.)

-Hank

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
RE: Luggage

fitnesste said:
Is retrieving your luggage at the airport easy?

Retrieving luggage is very very easy. The airport is small.

I have read about people paying for some type of VIP service, that when they exit the airplane, someone is waiting for them, and handles the retrieving of their luggage... I have read people praising this service, however, in my opinion, I do not feel this is at all necessary.

I am, by the way, assuming you are referring to Punta Cana Airport.

MeDominican