Quick trip to Bavaro

Nov 5, 2004
Just came back from a nice little anniversary trip. (Yes its our 1 year anniversary already!)

We drove from Puerto Plata down to Boca Chica, and stopped there for a few beers on the beach and to meet some people. Boca Chica seemed nice from the few hours we were there and the little I saw, but not somewhere I could see myself living. Too touristy.

We drove through to Bayahibe, and stayed there overnight. Everything there closed down by 8pm on Saturday night!!! Seems a very quiet little town, mainly there for the resort and the island tours to Saona that leave from the beach. We had supper in a small resturant and went to bed early so we could get up early in the morning to continue onto Bavaro. The sceanery around Bayahibe was very bland and nothing near as nice as what you see on the rest of the island.

We arrived in Bavaro and headed straight to the beach. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! The most georgous beach I have ever seen. Snowy white sand, soft as velvet. Bright blue,green, aqua clear ocean. Bavaro is extremely expensive and very touristy but totally worth it just to see the beach. We had a Jumbo cervesa at a sidewalk cafe across from the Bavaro plaza for the low price of $180pesos!!!!! I almost died!! We had other beers at better prices though, one right on the beach in a really nice bar with two levels (don't remember the name), it was 70pesos for a small...which is expensive, but cheaper then Playa Dorada.

The first night we stayed in a little room above a gift shop for $1,500 pesos, it was a bit old and small but had a balcony right over the beach, and we had a little breakfast included in the price. The next day we checked into a nice hotel called Cortecito Inn...not all inclusive, but very nice. $1,800pesos for the night. Big room, air conditioning, two queen size beds, fridge, BIG closets. It had a very nice pool, some exersize equipment, a billard table, and a nice contenental breakfast included. The beers at the pool bar were $70pesos for a small, so I walked less then a minute away to a new colmado that just opened, which has real Dominican prices. $35pesos for a small presidente, and $50 for a grade. It is run by a nice Argentinian lady. Spent most of the day at the pool, and went over to the beach later on.

Me and Carlos had a great supper that night at a resturant on the beach (will try and find the name of it...cuz it is a MUST go to resturant). Has a wonderfuly soft sandy floor...a great view, nice atmosphere, and great food. A bit expensive but some good specials. It is $50 US (which they charged us $1,600 and some pesos) for soup, homemade bread, your choice of fries, patatoes or rice, and then......a big plate of lobster (a whole one) clams, shrimp, calamari, fish (and I think I am missing one other thing). All inclusive drinks for your whole meal (which is a great deal as a small beer is $90pesos, and a glass of wine is $105pesos), then desert. It is big enough to share between 2 people, which me and Carlos did. If you share, they limit your all inclusive drinks to 3, but they gave us extra since it was our special anniversary supper.

We had a beautiful time. I am looking forward to a longer trip to Bavaro before we leave for Canada, and when I can get more time off work. Bavaro is a must see, extremely expensive, but extremely beautiful.

We had a nice drive back, I loved the sceanery on the trip there and back. Once again the only unimpressive sceanery is around the Bayahibe area.

We stopped in Santiago on the drive home and I had my first McDonalds sine July!!! It was great!

A bit off topic now: I haven't written here on DR1for awhile, I have been a bit out of touch with everyone, and preoccupied with stuff, but things have been going really well down here for me lately. I'm working as a grade 1 teacher, and tutoring after school, which I love. I have had bronchitis on and off for the past 4 months which no matter how many medicines they perscribe me doesnt seem to want to go away. But I am suriving.

Had a great little trip and it was really refreshing. I always love to see new places on this island!

Sep 19, 2005
on another post someone asked how long a drive is it from POP to Punta Cana

how long was your drive to Bavaro????????? or the trip back

bob

Nov 5, 2004
Well we made lots of stops and didn't drive all that fast. But it was about 8 hours I would say.

The roads are not ones you would like to drive at night without knowing the area well, some big potholes....as with most of the DR.

If a Dominican is driving who knows the roads u could do it in maybe 6 and a half or 7 hours, I would guess.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Well MRS PEACHEZNCREAM .....

I know you were working the corners in Bavaro .... lol ... I kid !!! well... hehe

I will be seeing you in a couple days with all your stuff that I will haveee for you..... EXCLUDING SUBWAY !!!!! lol

Oh,,,, and my new best friend ***princess is going to be there at the time I'm there.... and she wants to kick my ass..... you'll have a front row ticket to this comedy show !!! lol