Olga Tanon, Am I missing something????

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hey, I didn't watch Premio Lo Nuestro last night but found out that Olga Tanon won like 4 awards! I don't mean to take anything away from her but give me a break! Hardly anyone really listens to her crap anyhow and I do like her but for her to win against singers like Juan Luis Guerra is unbelievable to me and not only that but it's just that her stuff is not really popular at all these days! What gives? I know it's really a big gimic.....but it's just funny to see her get album of the year, merengue of the year, artist of the blah blah...it's like Olga who? It doesn't add up....just doesn't.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
La Ta?on...

Anyone who knows about music knows that Olga Ta??n and her 'merengue' is a marketablity issue and nothing else. What amazes me is I never hear her music played. Not on the radio, not in a club, which is the most appropriate venue. But whenever there is a merengue award she wins or worst case scenario Elvis Crespo.

I did not watch the show because it would have been a waste of precious time but should anybody be suprised by the outcome? Actually, I would have been surprised if a true merengue artist won. Esp?rate... that would be asking too much.

-LDG.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That's funny, my sister was at the awards last night. I'll call her so she can give me the lowdown on the event.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
JonS...the lowdown on the event (mind you, I work for these people) is that it's all a BIG LIE!!!

The artists that win are the ones that either: agree to appear on the show, or their record co. pays big bucks to get the award for them...

Some people asked me this morning why I wasnt' there last night...my response is this: I've been in this business for 26 years now, and have seen it all...I am sick and tired of the parading, the phoniness, the 'divas' (men and women)...etc...and most of all the way the REAL DESERVING artists NEVER getting what they truly deserve!!!

MQ

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Musicqueen said:
JonS...the lowdown on the event (mind you, I work for these people) is that it's all a BIG LIE!!!

The artists that win are the ones that either: agree to appear on the show, or their record co. pays big bucks to get the award for them...

Some people asked me this morning why I wasnt' there last night...my response is this: I've been in this business for 26 years now, and have seen it all...I am sick and tired of the parading, the phoniness, the 'divas' (men and women)...etc...and most of all the way the REAL DESERVING artists NEVER getting what they truly deserve!!!

MQ

i saw part of the show...

daddy yankee winning song of the yr for reggaeton for
"lo que paso, paso"......... give me a breakkkk.

and having monchy & alexandra singing bachata?
they only had one song last yr.. that's it.

frank reyes, anthony santos, raulin rodriguez had more success and better
songs than monchy & alexandra.... mannn i was upset at that.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
My wife and I stopped watching "Premio Lo Nuestro" several years ago, as we long ago concluded (as MQ says) that it was a sham -- a show for Mexicans plus some token "others" -- always Olga (who in my opinion is just a heavily marketed rip-off of the more authentic Milly) for merengue, no matter whether she's done anything noteworthy or not, plus other wierd choices for salsa & bachata, etc. They used to cram almost everything not Mexican into a wierd "tropical" category... :ermm:

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
I watched that retarted award show. I really just like to see how they were going to be dress and let me tell you I agree with all of you. Why did Olga even win anything when I didn't even know she had a cd out?? They're were people that should have won and they didn't. I just don't understand??? I guess Olga is going to stop singing.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
I made Silver!!!!! WoW!!!!! :) I wanna thank all those great Threads and for those that ask for my opinoin. Lets not forget all those great Sankie stories as well. Thank you DR1 and all it's memders. MUA I love ya!

-Rose :)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I think they must change the name of the award for Premios de Ellos, I can?t believe that Juan Luis didn?t win. But is their industry and as Latin Estefan Grammy it?s the same.

mamilinda

Feb 27, 2006
Olga Tanon is like Elvis Crespo - not to say her music isn't good, but to me, she isn't classic merengue - neither is fulanito - but people still love him.

The reason she gets so many awards is because of the lack of dominicans who get enough airplay to be noticed and nominated.

Olga has a very strong voice, and is a good artist, but there are so many who are more talented than she.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I would pick El Jeffrey over Olga Tanon any time. I somewhat enjoy some of Olga's songs but they are nothing to write about. Well, the truth of the matter is that these shows are all rigged but it's just so annoying when it's so damn obvious. It's a like a slap in the face!!!

mamilinda

Feb 27, 2006
DR_DEFENDER said:
I would pick El Jeffrey over Olga Tanon any time. I somewhat enjoy some of Olga's songs but they are nothing to write about. Well, the truth of the matter is that these shows are all rigged but it's just so annoying when it's so damn obvious. It's a like a slap in the face!!!

I agree. But this is with American award shows also - it's always the most hyped up artist who wins, not the most talented.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
No she doesn't perform free concerts in the park, but the reason she won is because i believe these awards are base on how many CDs they sell. I had my fingers crossed for Monchy & Alex.and for Andy Andy, i was so disappointed they didn't win. We have to support our music more by buying original CDs not the bootlegged in Washington Hghts or from the guy with a blanket on the sidewalk. Please lets support our people buy original.
thank u guys

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Some people think that Milly is an imitation of Olga, but they don?t imagine that when Olgo was going Milly was there, come and is sitting in her chair resting.

PuertoRock2005

Apr 25, 2005
it might be becuase they play beyond your reach, Olga Ta?on plays in places that aren't near DR or PR, as well as Elvis Crespo, don't hate because they are worldwide celebrities.