President

Neglito

Feb 12, 2006
I've been debating this with a friend of mine if a dominican, born in the U.S. who later becomes a citizen of DR can run for president under the DR constitution?

if not, then what positions can he hold?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Here are the constitutional requirements:

Art?culo 50.- Para ser Presidente de la Rep?blica se requiere:
1.- Ser dominicano de nacimiento u origen.
2.- Haber cumplido 30 a?os de edad.
3.- Estar en pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos.
4.- No estar en servicio militar o policial activo, por lo menos durante el a?o que preceda a la elecci?n.

As to who is considered "Dominican" under the Constitution:

Art?culo 11.- Son dominicanos:
1.- Todas las personas que nacieren en el territorio de la Rep?blica, con excepci?n de los hijos leg?timos de los extranjeros residentes en el pa?s en representaci?n diplom?tica o los que est?n de tr?nsito en ?l.
2.- Las personas que al presente est?n investidas de esta calidad en virtud de constituciones y leyes anteriores.
3.- Todas las personas nacidas en el extranjero, de padre o madre dominicanos, siempre que, de acuerdo con las leyes del pa?s de nacimiento, no hubieren adquirido una nacionalidad extra?a; o que, en caso de haberla adquirido, manifestaren, por acto ante un oficial p?blico remitido al Poder Ejecutivo, despu?s de alcanzar la edad de diez y ocho (18) a?os, su voluntad de optar por la nacionalidad dominicana.
4.- Los naturalizados.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
So to answer your question, your friend cannot be President unless born on Dominican territory to a Dominican parent (origin). But I would think it would be debateable whether your friend could be Vice President because the Constitution does not expressly restrict this, as it does in the case of the President. If the case would come up, maybe the Supreme Court would have to rule on this.

Article 11 of the Constitution states in its paragraph IV that Dominicans who take on another nationality cannot opt for the Presidency or Vice Presidency of the country.

But in the case you mention, your friend has not taken on another nationality. Your friend took on the Dominican nationality. As per the Constitution, persons of Dominican origin have the right to opt for Dominican nationality, but the citizenship is only acquired at the age of 18 years -- even if a Dominican passport is issued previously.

From what I understand from reading the Constitution, the American who has acquired Dominican citizenship can opt for any other post other than the Presidency.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
HOWMAR said:
Post deleted.
Never mind, you edited your post to answer my question.
Actually I realized that I needed to include the Constitutional definition of what constitutes a Dominican almost as soon as I made the first post, and was in the process of amending the post just as you asked your question -- so didn't even see the question until after I made the amendment...;)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
And, how about my children?

Born in US of Dominican, (me) and Colombian,( wife) parents. My understanding is that they're automatic Colombian citizens by virtue of their parentage.
Was told that in DR it's not automatic but requires them to become naturalized to be citizens. If they do so, would they still be eligible to run for presidente given the fact that they now hold dual citizenship?
My daughter says she wants to become a lawyer then run for president....Didn't specify which country.:paranoid:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
No, see the explanation about. To become President a person needs to be born in the Dominican Republic to at least one Dominican parent.

Yes, it is true that citizenship is not automatic in the DR. You need to be naturalized and it is only effective at 18 years, even though the child can get a Dominican passport earlier.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Lawyers and other lizards!

Keith R said:
Having met your daughter twice now, Juan, I think I can say she'd make a great president. ;) Seems too ethical to be a lawyer, though. LOL
Haaa, you crack me up, Keith! I'll try to dissuade her from it but I can't seem to win an argument!!.. Says lawyers are born, not made!! aarrgh!

Dolores, since a person can not be president unless born in Dominican territory, given the restrictions, what's the highest office one can aspire to?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, Juan, maybe she and my son can go into law practice together, because he's been saying (despite my best efforts) for several years now that he plans to become one of the nation's top lawyers...Although he's quite logical and good at catching holes in other's logic and making tight arguments, I keep telling him he's too big-hearted and ethical! LOL

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
See my post above about becoming Vice President. There is nothing in the Constitution that explicitly restricts her from becoming Vice President.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Dolores said:
See my post above about becoming Vice President. There is nothing in the Constitution that explicitly restricts her from becoming Vice President.
What is the line of succession if the President should die in office?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Dolores said:
But doesn't that mean if something should happen to the President (death or debilitating accident or illness), a Vice President not meeting the criteria for President would not be allowed to take over? In that case, who would? Sounds like something that should be cleared up by constitutional amendment before such a tricky situation presents itself...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Very true and logical. The role of the Vice President is just to replace the President. So that means that then this person must be able to become President. So, looks like your daughter will only be able to be chief of the Supreme Court of Justice, No. 3 in the DR.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I remember years back, in the 1990's, there were some politicians complaining that Carlos Morales Troncoso had an american passport and at the same time was VP of the DR and they raised the same question about citizenship.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And Hippo blurted that he had US nationality which was quickly 'denied' by his spokespeople. As if you'd make a 'mistake' about something like that. Then again, it was Hippo.