airport duties

wamec

Aug 24, 2004
my wife is going back to the DR after a yaer of being here in the US she came here on a k-visa and we succesfully got permanant residence. anyway we want to know if she has to pay any taxes or duties if she is gonna bring some stuff back to te DR like kitchen electronics, microwaveble popcorn just a bunch of little things can someone help she is wanting to know these things so they dont mess with her at the airport she is only taking maybe under 200.00 woth of those goods.

thanks,

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, she may have to pay duties on these items. It depends on her luck and hte mood of the inspector. From what you describe, if these are "a bunch of little things" they should not charge you. But that they can, they can. I have been lucky passing through Las Americas International and have not been checked in the past. Unfortunately I have not carried anything taxable either!

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Might be stupid question but I have to ask.....

What is taxable? I carried a dvd player and several movies a Play Station 2 w/ games new clothes (not my size) and other odds and ends but they never searched my bags. Had they checked my bags would I have had to pay? I am asking cause I will be returning with more things of this nature in April and want to make sure I have the extra cash just in case. What is a good amnt of extra to have?
Thanks for the info
Amanda

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Bribing them at the airport with say US$20 will be faster and probably less expensive than any duties they might feel like levying. No messy paperwork.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
or you could just plastic wrap your suitcase in your airport of departure and put a lock on it they won't take the time to search that, they may x-ray it but they wont search it by hand i won't think they'll search her they never searched me and i never had to pay anything

Last edited: