I'm about to start doing business here

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
Hi all, is there an office or an internet site in which you can check the background, job done or reference of some professionals here in DR. Ie. lawyers, doctors, engineers national association in which you can verify the authenticity of some professional.
If this office exist, does it protects the clients? can you file a claim against some of their members?
Thank you very much for your help,
nydr

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No. Post their professional details and I'm sure you will get some feedback from the many people that live here and post on the board.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
The normal way to check professional background is by calling back references included in an applicants resume. You can do it by yourself or contract a Human Resources outsourcing company to do it for you.

If your applicant's resume does not include a References section, request it.

When checking background with former employers, check first with HR department, then with former inmediate supervisor.

If you hire professionals, you can set as a requirement to have an exequatur (if it applies) and to be associated to the applicable Colegio Profesional. (CODIA for engineers, architects and "agrimensores", Colegio de Abogados for lawyers and Colegio Medico for MDs).

You can report a professional to the applicable Colegio if he/she scams you or his/her professional performance represents a serious risk to society. If that is the case, they will expulse him/her from the Colegio and/or ask their exequatur to be removed.

As usual, if the employee is well connected, most probably he/she will not be punished at all.

You can try a lawsuit and apply the Labor Code to separate him/her from your company.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic.

Jess

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Also, you can have a bank--your bank--look at a person's credit..which might be very telling as to their value to your company.

No worthy candidate should have a poor credit history, IMO...

The Human Resource community in the DR is fairly close knit, at least among major employers...

HB :D:D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hillbilly said:
Also, you can have a bank--your bank--look at a person's credit..which might be very telling as to their value to your company.

No worthy candidate should have a poor credit history, IMO...

The Human Resource community in the DR is fairly close knit, at least among major employers...

HB :D:D
I might add,

When checking potential candidate's credit history, take into consideration the details.

Eventhough most people with poor credit have such due to their own irresponsibility, some people have poor credit due to reasons beyond their personal control (ie. filed bankruptcy due to unexpected health problems within the family which exhausted their savings, etc). Poor credit due to an unexpected crisis are probably not as numerous as poor credit due to reckless behavior, but this is still worth considering.

-NALs

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Also, do not forget to check police background during your selection and hiring process.

Jess

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
NALs said:
I might add,

When checking potential candidate's credit history, take into consideration the details.

Eventhough most people with poor credit have such due to their own irresponsibility, some people have poor credit due to reasons beyond their personal control (ie. filed bankruptcy due to unexpected health problems within the family which exhausted their savings, etc). Poor credit due to an unexpected crisis are probably not as numerous as poor credit due to reckless behavior, but this is still worth considering.

-NALs

Personally, as an employer, I would not consider hiring a person with a heavy financial debt. People tend to focus more on their day by day financial obligations than in work. I have seen it several times in this country.

Jess

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
andrea9k said:
Personally, as an employer, I would not consider hiring a person with a heavy financial debt. People tend to focus more on their day by day financial obligations than in work. I have seen it several times in this country.

Jess
That's a good tactic to avoid lower productivity. My previous post was more geared towards those people who had a good track record of their personal finances prior an unforseen crisis which could have thrown their personal finances into turmoil. Only if the matter was resolved, but their credit remained damaged afterwards, only then it would be worth considering.

Of course, the person would have to have very strong points in other aspects related to the position being filled.

-NALs

Last edited:

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
andrea9k said:
The normal way to check professional background is by calling back references included in an applicants resume. You can do it by yourself or contract a Human Resources outsourcing company to do it for you.

If your applicant's resume does not include a References section, request it.

When checking background with former employers, check first with HR department, then with former inmediate supervisor.

If you hire professionals, you can set as a requirement to have an exequatur (if it applies) and to be associated to the applicable Colegio Profesional. (CODIA for engineers, architects and "agrimensores", Colegio de Abogados for lawyers and Colegio Medico for MDs).

You can report a professional to the applicable Colegio if he/she scams you or his/her professional performance represents a serious risk to society. If that is the case, they will expulse him/her from the Colegio and/or ask their exequatur to be removed.

As usual, if the employee is well connected, most probably he/she will not be punished at all.

You can try a lawsuit and apply the Labor Code to separate him/her from your company.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic.

Jess

Excellent!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all for the input. About the credit check, I talked with a friend of mine he told that there's a credit bureau in which I can verify somebody's finnancial history.
Something that surprise me a lot is the wide field of practice that usually have the professionals in DR. You can find a lawyer who does 'desk work' goes to court, teach, write a book, divorce, do will, etc they seems not to have an specific area of practice.