Pepper spray legal in DR?

stelen123

Jan 13, 2006
Hello all,
anyone know if pepper spray ( for self defense purpose) is legal to carry or buy/sell in DR?
thanks
Stefan

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Isn't that

stelen123 said:
Hello all,
anyone know if pepper spray ( for self defense purpose) is legal to carry or buy/sell in DR?
thanks
Stefan

the s*** all the street vendors put as seasoning on their food???????????

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You can find pepper spray at many of the Cuesta stores. They have it right next to the check out person. I think it is about a 1,000.00 RD but don't quote me on that price.

We have one for our nanny to carry when she is out walking alone with the kids.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
Many supermarkets sell it. RD$350 (US$10) for a small spray.
Do they call it Pepper Spray or is there a Spanish name for it?

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
'Policia francesa', isn't it?

The only pepper spray that's worth its salt (in this case, pepper ;-) are the 'weapons grade' mace sold at the established 'Armer?as' and cost above RD1000. Anyway, don't take my word for it, test it with some friends or 'less-than-friends'. It won't stop most people. Also, if you are not aware of wind direction you'll end up peppering yourself and not your attacker. In my book, pepper sprayers and stun guns are toys and will only give you a false sense of security...

-

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yeah Mirador is right, dont waste your time. Even with mace, if you dont fire it off just right and hit your opponent where you need to hit them, or close enough, you wont stop them. You need to keep a cool head and act deliberately. That requires practice.

A much better alternative, frankly,is an old fashioned "sap." You dont aim for the usual places, any attacker will be prepared for that. You kneecap them. Even a tiny bit of heavy lead applied with the flick of the wrist to the very vulnerable kneecap or shin bone will stop an attacker dead in his tracks.

Ha! I know it sounds funny, but it does work. However, like all forms of self defense, it takes practice and a bit of training.